Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Mobile Characters

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:55am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Euro symbols are displaying as boxes when posting from boards mobile.

Probably missing a utf8_encode/decode somewhere along the way :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Also on some threads im finding boxes instead of commas, inverted commas, apostraphes and other punctuation marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

I can't replicate this.

If you see this issue again, please reply to this thread with a link to the post where you see it happening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Testing.

Posting from m.boards on IE8

EDIT: hummm... must be a browser issue so.

Nokia browser on E51.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Testing. Nokia browser on e71.

EDIT: not looking good.

• Advertisement

How about now?

EDIT: €

Actually, scratch that. vBulletin is doing the right thing (translating the character to a HTML character reference).

I think you just have crappy browsers lads. :(

Conor wrote: »
    How about now?

EDIT:

I can see it fine.
    but it copy and pastes it as .

But if I insert my own I get .

Actually, scratch that. vBulletin is doing the right thing (translating the character to a HTML character reference).

I think you just have crappy browsers lads. :(

Yeah, let's blame nokia.

Color, go home/to the pub. It's after half six already.

. dot
    , comma
    ' single quote
    ? question mark
    ! exclaimation mark
    " double quote
    - dash
    ( open parenthesis
    ) close parenthesis
    @ at symbol
    / fwdslash
    : double colon
    _ underscore
    ; semi colon
    + plus symbol
    & ampersand
    % percent
    * star
    = equal sign
    < less than
    > greater than
    £ pound
    euro
    $ dollar
    ¥ yen
    € currency sign
    [ left brace
    ] right brace
    { left curly bracket
    } right curly bracket
    \ backslash
    ~ tilda
    ^ circumflex accent
    ¡ upside down exclaimation mark
    ¿ upside down question mark
    § section sign
    # hash
    |vertical line

• Advertisement

vBulletin is correctly producing & #8364; (without the space after the &) as the HTML for the euro symbol, so if it's behaving oddly in any browser - mobile or not - then it's a browser issue and not a vBulletin issue.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Yeah, let's blame nokia.

Not quite yet. It appears that if I post from my phone, vBulletin is not replacing the symbols with entities. This could be the root of the problem.
    Ron DMC wrote: »
    Conor, go home/to the pub. It's after half six already.

Soon. :)

Not quite yet. It appears that if I post from my phone, vBulletin is not replacing the symbols with entities. This could be the root of the problem.
    This was posted from m.twitter.

So the browser seems to work ok.

Jonathan wrote: »
    This was posted from m.twitter.

So the browser seems to work ok.

Hmm, that's working, but only because all the character sets in use are the same. Since the euro symbol is encoded differently in different character sets the correct solution is for vBulletin to save the character as the appropriate HTML entity. It seems to be doing that for the main skin, but not for the mobile one.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement