Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tom mac sharry sells house to council

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

any views on the article in the sunday world on sligo about TMS selling his house to sligo co co despite the fact that other houses in the same estate could have been bought for €20k less:D...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tothewest

now bonzos, i hope you're not insinuating that a member of one of sligo's political dynasties would put personal reward ahead of service to the community who elected him to office :p
    tell you what though, what surprised me more was the lack of criticism from political opponents, is it the case that our elected officials view transactions such as this as a legitimate means of upgrading they're houses knowing that the council will purchase the old one allowing them to move to flashier area ?
    i think its fair to say that the house councilor mc sharry lived in was most likely to have been well maintained and probably has all modern conveniences and may well have been finished to a higher standard than many but it does seem to have been an ill advised move. it also raises the issue about the value for money that councils look for when purchasing these properties, i am all in favour of providing houses but do the council have to pay so much ? surely the houses priced at 200 or 220 K would have represented better value, and the money saved put towards another property, if the council followed this approach they could buy more houses and reduce the waiting list.
    does anyone know where he moved to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

He is not seeking re-election for the upcoming local elections. Always thought he would be a candidate for Sligo-Leitrim in the future. Maybe this could of influenced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

bonzos wrote: »
    any views on the article in the sunday world on sligo about TMS selling his house to sligo co co despite the fact that other houses in the same estate could have been bought for €20k less:D...

is there a link to this article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Quick sale - checkNo agents fees - checkSales price above market value - checkNo discount from asking price - checknice wee deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

tothewest wrote: »
    now bonzos, i hope you're not insinuating that a member of one of sligo's political dynasties would put personal reward ahead of service to the community who elected him to office :p
    tell you what though, what surprised me more was the lack of criticism from political opponents, is it the case that our elected officials view transactions such as this as a legitimate means of upgrading they're houses knowing that the council will purchase the old one allowing them to move to flashier area ?
    i think its fair to say that the house councilor mc sharry lived in was most likely to have been well maintained and probably has all modern conveniences and may well have been finished to a higher standard than many but it does seem to have been an ill advised move. it also raises the issue about the value for money that councils look for when purchasing these properties, i am all in favour of providing houses but do the council have to pay so much ? surely the houses priced at 200 or 220 K would have represented better value, and the money saved put towards another property, if the council followed this approach they could buy more houses and reduce the waiting list.
    does anyone know where he moved to ?

i not insinating anything ,this has nothing to do with the fact that he is a member of FF or any other dynasty.just because he is involved with a party with a history of curruption,taking bribes,promoting family and friends should not be dragged into this issue! i just found it interesting that mr mac sharry seemed to have no problem selling(for HIS asking price) his house despite the fact that the housing market is at a standstill.i also found it interesting that he declined to coment on the matter,surely he should have no reason not to coment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Where was the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

The timing of his recent announcement to retire from Politics has of course got nothing to do with this article appearing in the Sunday World. Smart preemptive move as this is a scandal. It is at best unethical practice ....

GG66 wrote: »
    The timing of his recent announcement to retire from Politics has of course got nothing to do with this article appearing in the Sunday World. Smart preemptive move as this is a scandal. It is at best unethical practice ....

I also have a house i would like to sell ,does anyone know how a person gets into this cosy circle in sligo where unethical pratice seems to be the norm?i could do with a cash injection at the minute!It has also got to the stsge that i dont buy the weekender anymore because of the amount of photos of these cowboys in it.One week alone i counted 19:eek:photos of dude devins onthe same page!posh and becks dont get that sort of coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I thought the council had no money to purchase houses this year?:confused:

I also have a house i would like to sell ,does anyone know how a person gets into this cosy circle in sligo where unethical pratice seems to be the norm?i could do with a cash injection at the minute!It has also got to the stsge that i dont buy the weekender anymore because of the amount of photos of these cowboys in it.One week alone i counted 19:eek:photos of dude devins onthe same page!posh and becks dont get that sort of coverage

Election coming ;-)

• Advertisement

Election coming ;-)
    i take it that means ill have to run for FF,id rather beg on the street!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

FF!, ethics! hmmmmmm :confused:

i take it that means ill have to run for FF,id rather beg on the street!!!!!

Actually I was referring to this quote:
    One week alone i counted 19photos of dude devins onthe same page!posh and becks dont get that sort of coverage

election coming explains why the weasel is all over the paper and also a reminder that you can vote these people OUT

Advertisement