Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP5 Fire Selector Switch

Options
  • 27-04-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I got a JG MP5 full metal navy laast week. On the first day the safety/fire switch came off. It's just a case of tightening the little grub screw but it's smaller than the 1.5mm allen key which is normally the smallest in the set.

Does anyone know what size allen key it is?
    Also does anyone know where I can buy one?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

1.5mm. you can also use a small torx driver too, halfords are selling them for 7 quid for the whole set at the moment. :)

oh, and stick some thread lock on it afterwards, they always come loose from the vibrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

Cheers, but I have a few 1.5mm allen keys and neither of them are small enough.
    Are they usually 1.5mm? I'll hav to head to halfords so.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

big dan wrote: »
    Cheers, but I have a few 1.5mm allen keys and neither of them are small enough.
    Are they usually 1.5mm? I'll hav to head to halfords so.
    Cheers

had the same problem with odd size grubs. bought a 1mm from spec saver and neither worked or fitted for me, ended up puting masking tape over the grub hole and just stuffing the 1mm into it:rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Did you ever think that maybe it needs an imperial allen key?

Good point. I'll try that.

• Advertisement

I have 2 complete sets of allen keys, metric and imperial. The metric are showing their age from use but the imperial are brand new with only one or two occasions ive used them. i worked on these Mp5s too and have never used imperial allen keys so...

just to save yourself from spending on something you dont need :)

Masada wrote: »
    I have 2 complete sets of allen keys, metric and imperial. The metric are showing their age from use but the imperial are brand new with only one or two occasions ive used them. i worked on these Mp5s too and have never used imperial allen keys so...

Cheers. Went to Halfords and tried everything they had but nothing was small enough. tried 1.5mm allen keys and torx heads! went to atlantic and they had nothing either. I ended up getting it back on with a dremmel bit with some electrical tape around it and a pliers. used thread lock on it so hopefully it stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

I have the same problem actually with my JG MP5J. Selector switch came off after about a week. Went around to a few places but no allen keys would work. Thing is still off.

I have the same problem actually with my JG MP5J. Selector switch came off after about a week. Went around to a few places but no allen keys would work. Thing is still off.

I got mine on but don't have an allen key that fits,so I hope that it doesn't come off or that I have to take it off. I know Masada said it's 1.5mm but i have 3 sets of allen keys and none of the 1.5mm work, and I brought the bit around to Halfords and hardware shops but couldn't get anything to fit. I'm looking for an imperial allen key thats small enough but so far no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

big dan wrote: »
    I got mine on but don't have an allen key that fits,so I hope that it doesn't come off or that I have to take it off. I know Masada said it's 1.5mm but i have 3 sets of allen keys and none of the 1.5mm work, and I brought the bit around to Halfords and hardware shops but couldn't get anything to fit. I'm looking for an imperial allen key thats small enough but so far no luck.

Yeh, none of the electrical shops I went to had one small enough and doubted there was one. Keep us posted if you have any luck.

• Advertisement

I found the right size for this.

It's imperial 3/64.

I found a set of metric and imperial allen keys in Tesco that went down to imperial 3/64 and metric 1mm.

The set only cost about €1.70 so I bought 3 sets.

Now there not great quality allen keys, as in the coating on the just rubs off on your hands so you have black fingers after handling them.

But it's worth the price for the 3/64 alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Turns out I was right, it was an imperial allen key he needed :D.

Turns out I was right, it was an imperial allen key he needed :D.

not exactly, i rebuilt this exact MP5 a couple of weeks ago. and with no imperials used ;)

not exactly, i rebuilt this exact MP5 a couple of weeks ago. and with no imperials used ;)

I presume it was yourself that downgraded the mp5 in Eirsoft.

The selector switch wasn't tightened down and fell off right out of the box. I've got plenty 1.5mm but were too big. The imperial that I got fits fine though.

You don't happen to remember what it chrono'd at after you downgraded it and what version gearbox is in it?? cheers

Its a version 2 gearbox, nice internals too, :) not sure of its exact chrono reading tough.

Its a version 2 gearbox, nice internals too, :) not sure of its exact chrono reading tough.

Cheers. haven't opened it up yet to have a look. I'll just wait till either something breaks or the selector switch comes off again.

Advertisement