Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting bills - how does it work in this case normally?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am moving into a flat this week with my girlfriend. We are renting one double room. The flat is a two bedroomed flat with each room rented directly to each occupant.

When we took the room there was no one else for the other room (the landlords were unable to rent the flat out so decided to rent rooms directly instead).

We were told we could advertise for another couple for the other room but they got someone, just one person, for the other room.

I havent rented like this before so am wondering how the bills work normally in situations like this - just NTL (broadband, tv and phone) and ESB.

Are the bills split two ways for the two rooms or 3 ways for the 3 inhabitants? Only my name is on the lease for my room and I would assume he has a lease for his room.

I have not met this other person yet so dont know if he has a girlfriend and whether this girlfriend, if exists will be staying over much (not sure if that matters either).

What is the norm here?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Best way is to split all bills per-person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

red dave wrote: »
    Best way is to split all bills per-person.

Agreed.
    Cost of bill / number of people

Obviously excluding people buying pay-per-view movies, extra TV connections, international phone calls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rent should be based on rooms and number of people. Bills should be based on number of people only. It can be problematic when the number of people in the property changes, e.g. if it was two double rooms, with a total of four people and someone left, then the two still sharing the room might not be impressed at paying a higher share of the bills.

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603

Advertisement