Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time for pubs to stop charging in?

• 27-04-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

i went to a mates birthday in the odeon on sat night... got there at 11.10.

i had to pay €10 in.... not exactly a niteclub... i do remember paying in here years ago, thing is... eh, recession?

the place was half empty... for a saturday night... can't help thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot, charging in.... now, i know, i didn't have to pay it, and could of just gone somewhere else... but it was a friends birthday, so i had to... and i'm sure there's plenty of people who would opt to go somewhere without a cover charge... unless it's a club.

i think these places need to wise up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah same situation other night. Mates birthday and that. Dice O Reillys charging in. And the place was no where close to levels of last year.

I think il just stop having mates, then there will be no more birthdays :D

These places need to look at attracting people back not profittering off their lowering foot traffic. Soon my friend soon;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

if there is a group of you why not ask for a discount?

In sydney there was 8 of us heading to a nightclub, they asked for $15 each we started to walk away, the asked us what would we pay, we said 0, they said $5!

I wonder if it will start in dublin, esp in recession times

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

hussey wrote: »
    if there is a group of you why not ask for a discount?

In sydney there was 8 of us heading to a nightclub, they asked for $15 each we started to walk away, the asked us what would we pay, we said 0, they said $5!

I wonder if it will start in dublin, esp in recession times

well, it's up to them, if they want people in their pub or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunno if these later licences cost more. I think they used to, like bakers corner pub had a upstairs section and AFAIK part of the cost to hire it out was the late licence, or so they claimed. Many staff working later would be paid more too.

Many pubs will just increase the price for the same reason, so people moan either way. I prefer the pints going up in price than a cover charge, since I would be pissed at that stage and slowing down my drinking, so only pay a little more.

They know people treat the place like a nite club, I think if you are going to bargain them down you have a much better chance if you appear sober so they know you will be drinking your fill and they will get revenue.

Was in a concert which cannot be named the other night. I usually do stash drink in now, just to concerts, as it is a bitch to have to queue while a band is on, only to be handed a crappy plastic cup of crap. My mate was on vodka & coke, €7.75 for a vodka & coke in a crappy plastic cup. Meanwhile I had a little 150ml bottle filled up with bacardi black, which cost me €11 for a litre in germany! works out about 40cent per measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah, so mention it to the bouncer etc,

"hey there is x of us, we'll be here for a few hours and will spend a hundred, or else you can let us walk to the next pub and spend our money there"

you never know unless you ask!

• Advertisement

Bouncers don't care.

Managers do.

If there's a group of you going out, ring in advance (round 4pm of the day in question)

Papa S wrote: »
    Bouncers don't care.

Managers do.

If there's a group of you going out, ring in advance (round 4pm of the day in question)

good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

whats this business with paying to get into pubs? where does this happen? i never seen one over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The trick is to walk away (if you have that option). Countless times me and my mates have walked out of place that charged €10 on the door, only to be called back by the bouncer and be let in for free. Paying at the door is for suckers, there are plently of other places to go instead.

Nate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why the hell are people still willing to pay to go into pubs, your part of the problem if your still willing to pay.

The sooner people cop on and stop going to these places the sooner they will have to stop charging

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    why the hell are people still willing to pay to go into pubs, your part of the problem if your still willing to pay.

The sooner people cop on and stop going to these places the sooner they will have to stop charging

it was a friends birthday, otherwise i would have just walked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He should had the party elsewhere. He should have researched it beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 balllad21

Just to resurect this subject, i was in the Step Inn on saturday to watch tht Leinster Munster game, a few friends came to meet us later and were charged €5 at the door (started charging at 8 pm) because there was supposed to be a band playing. The band in question didnt start playing until after 11! (and they were ****). I know €5 isnt a huge amount of money but its just a money racket to get more cash out of the punters, drink is expensive enough as it is, publicans are just pissing off their customers (whats left of them).

Simple. Vote with your feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Heard of a guy in Killarney charging €10 to get into a "niteclub" but into the bar was free.

Then the prices inside had increased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 scruff murphy

bacon? wrote: »
    i went to a mates birthday in the odeon on sat night... got there at 11.10.

i had to pay €10 in.... not exactly a niteclub... i do remember paying in here years ago, thing is... eh, recession?

the place was half empty... for a saturday night... can't help thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot, charging in.... now, i know, i didn't have to pay it, and could of just gone somewhere else... but it was a friends birthday, so i had to... and i'm sure there's plenty of people who would opt to go somewhere without a cover charge... unless it's a club.

i think these places need to wise up.

Are you young folk crazy. paying into a place to buy their drink? Make a rule and stick to it, and get your mates to do the same. In fact write a letter to the owners and get as many signatures as posible, complaining about this practice, and in future vote with your feet.;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I expect this charging for entrance is a tourism scam, get all the tourists to pay in, and if they get any locals to cough up it's a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

i think i'll write em an email..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Was in the Odeon for the first (and last!) time a while ago, same thing happened, meeting a friend's friend for birthday. Stuck in my craw paying 10 quid in, and my drink was very expensive too. Never again, if i could have not gone in without creating a scene among friends i would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

missmatty wrote: »
    if i could have not gone in without creating a scene among friends i would have.
    Most of them were probably thinking the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

These kips need to be closed down..the only way to do it is to keep away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've noticed a few places in town charging people addmission prior to having to walk the guantlet of bouncers. A few times I've noticed people being refused entry by the bouncers and then being denied their money back when they tried to have their admission fee refunded.
    Surely this is illegal?

It would be. Bouncers refuse admission, refund is due.

It is normally the other way round. Get by the bouncers and then pay your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

the management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I was a doorman in one of these esstablishments and to make it even more maddening the one i worked in never gave out tickets or receipts so all that money collected on the door is not taxable or accountable to no one.

That would not surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

pithater1 wrote: »
    I've noticed a few places in town charging people addmission prior to having to walk the guantlet of bouncers. A few times I've noticed people being refused entry by the bouncers and then being denied their money back when they tried to have their admission fee refunded.
    Surely this is illegal?

compleatley, but if they didn't give you a receipt(which a lot of 'em dont), you have no claim. watch out for those ones!:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement