Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which broadband?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

OK I am sick to death of my BT Broadband, it is constantly disconnecting. I am going to change provider - but who should I change to?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Is anyone happy with their broadband?

My sister has vodafone and it seems to be fairly dismal at times.

i live in Clonsilla - don't know if this makes a difference...... Is BB better in other areas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You'd probably be better asking here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

but for what it's worth, I'm with UPC and have been delighted with the broadband. I use it a lot as I work from home also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

If your BT broadband keeps disconnecting, it not a problem with BT but with the quality of your phone line & router.
    What speed package are you on?
    What are your DSL line stats as reported by your router?
    Do you have filters on all your phone sockets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

I have 10mb upc and am really happy with it, doesn't disconnect on me and gives me 1 to 1.2mb download speed most of the time and playing COD 4 on it multiplayer latency is around 60-90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Devil5434 wrote: »
    I have 10mb upc and am really happy with it, doesn't disconnect on me and gives me 1 to 1.2mb download speed most of the time and playing COD 4 on it multiplayer latency is around 60-90

You're only getting 1 to 1.2mb most of the time on a 10mb connection and you're happy with that ? You should be getting better than that.

1-1.2MB(yte) is the max download speed of a 10Mbit line with bit to byte conversion and DSL, cable overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

NTL is not DSL.

Jip wrote: »
    NTL is not DSL.

and DSL, cable overheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have smart telecom and I am very happy with it. Only time I ever had a problem with it was when the router died. I rang them up and the replacement arrived the next day.

Simply cannot fault them.

I know when someone says Smart telecom, they remember the eircom disconnection incident a few years ago but that was all eircoms doing. I was not affected by it, but they sent me a letter to apologise for it anyway, and doubled the speed of my line for 3 months for free to say sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We have eircom, no complaints other than the odd disconnect now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I used to have irish Broadband 3MB I was happy enough with the service but changed to UPC 10 MB as they were giving me TV/Broadband package which was cheaper than my Irish Broadband + NTL Basic Package together.

I'm very happy with my UPC connection my average Download speed in 17/18mb.

Only snag is when the TV Pipe goes the 'tinternet goes too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Thanks for all the replies.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

NTL/UPC gives great speed and low latency.

But...their support desk and processes are beyond useless. After getting through the 5 mins of voice menu's, you get to a non-technical call centre. IF they decide that the issue is a technical one, they then put you through to the real tech support people. After 10-30 mins, you get to speak to someone who may or may not decide to be rude or just hang up on you.

Once you get through to them, they will insist that your wireless router is to blame for everything, including the last world war. It doesn't matter if the modem cycles every 2 minutes or everyone on your road is having the same problem, they will still blame the router. And they book service calls for everything....even when you are technical enough to know the issue is outside your house.

As for the service calls...well the engineers show up on the wrong days at the wrong time and then spend 20 mins giving out about how crap the helpdesk staff are. They leave promising to call you back when the issue is resolved. 20 calls to helpdesk later, the issue is fixed, and you're still waiting on that call from the engineer. It turns out to have been an issue 'on the line' at their end....just like you said on the first call.

Oh, and their hold music is broken. Every 20s, it sounds like radio station when you go through a tunnel. I've told them this 30+ times over the last year and they've yet to fix it.

So, if you don't mind outages once every few weeks, and have the patience of a saint, then go with NTL.

They're no worse than all the other gob****es offering broadband in Ireland.

Advertisement