Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe "amazed" (in the good way) at steps taken in budget

Options
  • 27-04-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Apparently Lenihen is the golden boy of Europe, with the other governments being impressed and amazed by the budgetary measures.

Irish Times Article

So heres some of what has been said...
    Mr Lenihan said there would be “riots” in France, were the pension levy on public servants to be introduced in that country.

SO the lax attitude Irish people have towards politics makes Lenihin a good minister? :confused: Brian has obviously steered well clear of the papers lately. I dont know what he was trying to prove here.
    The steps taken to stabilise the public finances had ensured the Government spending deficit had not drifted to as much as 15, 16 or 17 per cent of GDP, he said.

Wow, sure were only throwing all our money at dysfunctional services, but its ok boys because spending deficit is only 10.5% of GDP. Realistically it would by 17% is the government had not forced us to pay taxes that are completely disproportionate to the level of services we get in return.
    “We had the highest unit labour costs of any country in the euro zone. That is no longer the case.”

What is this supposed to prove exactly? That FF messed up with being overly nice to the Labour unions and fostered a situation where they are out of control?

Are FF really this out of touch with reality?

Mods: I didnt feel this should be any sub-forum, but ye might feel EU or Irish Economy might be better for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

“The view in Europe is that Ireland is taking steps to put her house in order.”

Who told him that? The voices in his head?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Does he really think anyones going to buy this!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So he's saying we're a bunch of docile sheep. Why thanks, Brian. I'm looking forward to not voting FF in the next election!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

No one believes this propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm "amazed" that Brian Lenihan said this:
    there would be “riots” in France, were the pension levy on public servants to be introduced in that country.
    simu wrote: »
    So he's saying we're a bunch of docile sheep.

Exactly. Does he not realise the ramifications of what he is saying? Is he trying to goad public sector workers? This seems to be gross political incompetence to me.

He might think it - and he might say it to his colleagues, but to say it in public?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

MINISTER FOR Finance Brian Lenihan has said the recent budgetary steps taken in imposing the pensions levy and raising taxes had impressed and “amazed” other European countries.

Irish Times Article

Links, Brian, please :D!!
    Speaking at the Irish League of Credit Unions conference in Killarney on Saturday, Mr Lenihan said other European governments would not have been able to impose the kind of pain the Government had.

Mr Lenihan said there would be “riots” in France, were the pension levy on public servants to be introduced in that country.

Early days, Brian! Don't count your chickens before they're hatched ;)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

Lenihan is basicly saying "Europe is amazed at the amount of crap Irish dosile spineless people will take"
    And do you know I think he is dead right. The lack of outrage from the oppisition parties and pulic representitives is a disgrace.
    Our level of subbordination is much more akin to the americans than the Europeans.
    The thing I think Irish people have in common with the americans is our lack of genuine polical commentary (successfully manufactured consent) and our fear due to the levels of personal debt we have.
    Many people are afraid to take a stand cos they fear for their jobs.
    Sure isnt it a great little democracy all the same.
    Lenihans comments are 2 fingers to anybody in this society with an ounce of personal respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps Brian should wait until the Mortgage Lenders finish the Mail Shots advising their customers that the Interest Relief is now finished and that in addition to being down the double levy next month there will be a added mortgage requirement to service......most folks forgot that little nugget :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Lenihan, Cowen and the rest of the barely literate slurry merchants in the government are totally indifferent to the pain that they are causing to ordinary people. Its understandable then that he come out with such bizarre comments. Maybe he really believe what he says, but that would be even more worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Lenihan, Cowen and the rest of the barely literate slurry merchants in the government are totally indifferent to the pain that they are causing to ordinary people. Its understandable then that he come out with such bizarre comments. Maybe he really believe what he says, but that would be even more worrying.

Wow, did it take you long to construct such an intellectual arguement?

The people you refer to brought peace to this island, doubled the number of people at work, and brought about full employment for the first time in our history.

Now that we find ourselves in the worst WORLD economic crisis in a century, they are making the neccessary, and hard, decisions to protect the economy and our children's future.

Our EU colleagues do in fact hold Cowen and Lenehan in high regard, something you would know if you have spoken to any of their representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

skearon wrote: »

The people you refer to brought peace to this island, doubled the number of people at work, and brought about full employment for the first time in our history.

Now that we find ourselves in the worst WORLD economic crisis in a century, they are making the neccessary, and hard, decisions to protect the economy and our children's future.

Our EU colleagues do in fact hold Cowen and Lenehan in high regard, something you would know if you have spoken to any of their representatives.

Dear God, not another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dresden8 wrote: »
    Dear God, not another one.

Yes, I imagined that I'd found myself on the Humour forum by mistake on that one.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I think he made a clear assesment of the situation the people of Ireland are in.

So FF brought peace to Ireland by themselves? Full employment? Not exactly and most of it was temporary employment such as the property boom and the public sector. Not to mention how ineffective how both were.

Wrong again. We are paying extra tax parially due to the 7 billion bailout of the banks, decline in the construction industry and also for money wasted in the boom years. They are making the decisions TOO LATE. Billions have been wasted. How many billion could we have in reserve if the government had been running the country correctly for the last 10 years?

Its the people of Ireland that have to take those hard decisions.

I cant remember how many times the Germans have belittled our government policies. Its just so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

the people you refer to brought peace to this island, doubled the number of people at work, and brought about full employment for the first time in our history.

I am also "amazed" but not very "impressed" with how FF were climbing over each other to take credit for the boom, but point blank refuse to accept their portion of the blame for the mess we are in. Their mantra of " we are a small open economy beset by problems, that were completely out of our control" is fooling nobody but you apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Given my limited knowledge of the matter, I had gained the opinion that our EU partners were bewildered rather than amazed by our government's actions.

Wow! I cant believe people still try to defend FF!
    The boom you speak of was unsustainable - in fact it wasnt economic progress at all it was a bubble and not just property either everything inflated. They made no moves to counter the wild inflation of our living costs.

Now that we find ourselves in a bad recession which is nowhere near as bad as the great depression for any other country ..........except Ireland we find that the ESRI project 17% unemployment next year.

If the world economic crisis is to blame then will the UK or the US or Germany or France have 17% unemployment next year?

Any party that presides over a fall from full employment to 17% unemployment must go. Greens included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Great Video blindjustice!saves me a long posting;)

Talk about pictures painting a thousand words!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wow! I cant believe people still try to defend FF!
    The boom you speak of was unsustainable - in fact it wasnt economic progress at all it was a bubble and not just property either everything inflated. They made no moves to counter the wild inflation of our living costs.

Now that we find ourselves in a bad recession which is nowhere near as bad as the great depression for any other country ..........except Ireland we find that the ESRI project 17% unemployment next year.

If the world economic crisis is to blame then will the UK or the US or Germany or France have 17% unemployment next year?

Any party that presides over a fall from full employment to 17% unemployment must go. Greens included
    I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Not since http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IYk7YVW80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

1hugh1 I was thinking your link was off topic until I remembered nearly all 166 of them are a shower of cnuts:D(or a shower of fcuckers as Biffo would say:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I think it's more amazing there hasn't been any rioting i the streets over FF's croneyism and general feck up of the country. Maybe i'm speaking too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

:eek::eek::eek:
    That is the pathetic fan boy\ blinkered view that has got this country into the terrible mess it's now in.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

The decline in economic activity now under way will continue for some time. As conditions worsen the squabbling amongst politicians will become a back stabbing struggle for survival. All semblance of civility will fly out the window as poverty comes in the door. The greatest danger Ireland faces is that it could descend into a maelstrom of public anger and political paralysis a la the Ukraine. For example the governments reluctance to nationalize the three largest banks thereby wiping out both the stock holders and bondholders is evidence that self serving cronyism, one hand washes the other, you scratch mine and I will scratch yours is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

While I personally dislike FF, and believed they should've raised taxes and cut spending during the years previous to this when they were recklessly cutting taxes and spending wastefully, in this case they are clearly making a good decision in accepting the fiscal reality that critics pretend doesn't exist.

However they should take all the blame for not killing the property bubble years ago when they had all the chances in the world. If they had introduced these higher taxes and lower spending years ago Ireland would be in a much better position with no debt and likely a smaller bubble.

But none of you wanted to hear about higher taxes and lower spending back then, on either side of the political divide(s).

Advertisement