Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin forum's "Legalise Cannabis protest" thread.

Options
  • 27-04-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60002896

Des made the decision about ten minutes after the thread started that "You may discuss this event, but you may not discuss the ins and outs of legalising Cannabis."

As I said in my reply on the thread, it's surely a bit difficult to discuss the event when we're not allowed to discuss what the event is. Proven correct as people discussing why one should or should not attend the event was seen as relating to "the ins and outs of legalising Cannabis" (naturally enough), which was followed by infractions which was followed by the thread closing.

Perhaps the thread could exist with simple and dull "yes" / "no" responses but for gods sake, this is a discussion forum -- we've got a political / social protest happening in the centre of Dublin and this isn't appropriate discussion material for the Dublin forum?

Of the three infracted posts, the two with the red card really seem to me to be discussing the event -- one in favour of attending, the other not, both giving their own reasons. The fact that they also contain references to the "ins and outs of legalising Cannabis" really can not be helped.

I'd like to see the thread reopened and the mods stance relaxed a bit.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If people want to discuss the legalisation of Cannabis, they may do so on other forums on Boards.ie

I have no, let me be crystal clear on this, absolutely no problem with people discussing The Event. However, after one on-thread warning and visible infractions after this, people still could not stick to the topic of the thread.

So, in an effort to save more people from infractions, and possible bans, I closed the thread.

I am not, however, going to police a thread relating to a legal issue, when we have other, more suitable, forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Des wrote: »
    I am not, however, going to police a thread relating to a legal issue, when we have other, more suitable, forums.

But the event relates directly to a legal issue. Either we can discuss a Dublin based event in the Dublin forum or we can't, imo.

If "policing" such a discussion (and I do understand that the discussion could get out of hand, but I certainly don't think it has done so yet) is more than you're willing to handle, why not move it lock stock and barrel over to what you think would be the more suitable forum, leaving a redirect?

alright, maybe this discussion could have been handled by PM, as Des PM'd me to say. Apologies for dragging you into Feedback but I am also interested in others' opinions on it, if anyone has any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Goodshape wrote: »
    But the event relates directly to a legal issue.
    Here's an example.

Look at this thread.

It was about a queue on Grafton Street, which was caused by Londis holding interviews.

Now, I could have moved it to the Work & Jobs forum, or left it in the Dublin Forum, for people to talk about the queue, which they did.

Same principle applies with this.
    Either we can discuss a Dublin based event in the Dublin forum or we can't, imo.
    I advised, on the thread, and have re-iterated here, that the event CAN be discussed. I have zero problem with that.

What I don't want, because The Dublin City Forum is not the appropriate place for it, is a discussion about the Legalisation of Cannabis.

How anyone can think the Dublin City forum is appropriate for such a discussion, and actually wants to debate that, is beyond me.
    If "policing" such a discussion (and I do understand that the discussion could get out of hand, but I certainly don't think it has done so yet) is more than you're willing to handle, why not move it lock stock and barrel over to what you think would be the more suitable forum, leaving a redirect?

I was nipping it in the bud.

There is nothing stopping yourself, the OP of the thread, or anyone else from going to the appropriate forum and starting the discussion you seem so passionate about.

Des wrote: »
    Here's an example.

Look at this thread.

It was about a queue on Grafton Street, which was caused by Londis holding interviews.
    There's nothing constructive being discussed in that thread at all. "it's art", "it's for drugs", "it's a PR stunt"... pity it didn't spark a discussion about the state of jobs / jobless in Dublin, no? Oh, right. No.
    There is nothing stopping yourself, the OP of the thread, or anyone else from going to the appropriate forum and starting the discussion you seem so passionate about.
    I don't really want to get into a generic full blown discussion about cannabis legalisation but I'd like people to be able to discuss why they are or why they are not attending the Dublin event.

Really not a fan of the hard-line "we don't discuss X here. EVER." stance. Sometimes such discussion is, to a degree, justifiable. banquo might have stepped over the mark a little with his comments but that's about it imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

IMO, the only topic in that thread is the legalising of cannabis.
    That there happens to be a protest in Dublin does not make it a Dublin issue.

The thread was only ever going to go in one direction. Humanities ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To be honest, I don't see the issue here. The direction the discussion was taking (and inevitably would take) was way outside the scope of the regional forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

why didnt des move the thread to the right forum then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If you're going to place such a large caveat on the thread, then it should exist in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dades wrote: »

Yep. Definitely Humanities.

I don't want that train wreck anywhere near AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Terry wrote: »
    I don't want that train wreck anywhere near AH.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dades wrote: »

Nail/head

Des made a good judgement call before it got out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its a national event anyway, not a dublin one, i thougt the rule you couldnt discuss drugs and how to get em, not that you couldn't discusss the how to change laws to implement legal cannibis.

i thougt the rule you couldnt discuss drugs and how to get em, not that you couldn't discusss the how to change laws to implement legal cannibis.
    Yeah, it was question of the Dublin forum being the right place for that discussion or not.

I figure as there is a related event happening in Dublin that a certain amount of discussion on the topic should not be stifled. Looks like I lost that argument though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Funnily enough the Cork City forum has the same thread going and is discussing the merits of legalising it without any bother from the moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ludo wrote: »
    Funnily enough the Cork City forum has the same thread going and is discussing the merits of legalising it without any bother from the moderator.
    spoons_main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rb wrote: »
    Lol.

I did too.
    I'm still laughing.
    It was the funniest thing ever.

You may find something of interest to you in my profile.

Advertisement