Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I throttle bandwidth on network?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

How do I go about throttling the bandwidth on a network?

Currently I'm using Digiweb's mobile broadband [some card form thing - it is NOT the same tech. as those off mobile phone companies like O2 and Vodaphone] slotted into the back of a wireless netgear router, to which all the computers are hooked up with [PC wired, laptops all wireless].

I want to throttle the connection to the laptops, because when someone's viewing streaming sites like youtube, etc., my ping can go erratic (On bad days).

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you log into the router what you are looking for might be there , built-in. Look for QOS (quality of service ) or something similar.

If its not built in you could disable wireless on that and plug into it a wireless router that does support QOS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what is the model of router?

the stock firmware won't be very good at controlling bandwidth usage (if it's able to at all), but the router itself may be able to take a 3rd party firmware that will such as DD-WRT or Tomato.

if you let us know what modem number (and hardware revision) your router is, we'll be able to tell you what your options are, if any.

the required info will be on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

Advertisement