Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections (Welfare Officer) 2009 - week 13!

• 27-04-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Runners for Welfare Officer at close of nominations last week.

As per usual, feel free to discuss your preferred candidate and why. Also usual, if you're campaigning for a particular candidate, declare your interest before posting in this thread.

If candidates have a webpage and let me know, I'll edit in one link per candidate to an official webpage, bebo or facebook page (one per candidate) if they let me know by PM at any point during the week.

Candidates:

Derek Daly, 4th Year BBS URL=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derek-Daly/68124245107]Weblink[/URl
    Ciaran Lyne, MSc Financial Services
    Damien Wade, Grad Dip Business (Ed)

Elections are on this Wednesday (April 29).

The polling stations are at the Students' Union photocopying room, the library foyer and at the Health Sciences building. They're open from 9am till 7pm.
    (thanks to BD for the info)

Hustings take place on Tuesday April 28 at 11:30am at the Stables. Bring your own pitchforks.

For postgraduates, at the close of the PSA President nominations last week, the only candidate was Michael Bourke so he was deemed elected.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I want to wish all the candidates the best of luck with their campaigns this week.
    It must be difficult to run a campaign so close to exams, and I've the utmost respect for all of them.

I also must declare that I am supporting Derek Daly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 damoo

Hey all , damo here. As you are all aware by now im running for welfare on Wednesday. I come from the city of the tribes 'Galway' current studying to become a teacher here in UL on the GRAD DIP programme. Ive studied at 3 Irish Colleges , so i come with plenty of experience in the world of student life.

I am not associated with any organisation or the su here in UL so therefore i am completely independant to make my own choices. I have so much to offer UL in the Welfare role. I am not doing it just because its a job for a year , i have already been offered a position of which in a School in the UK of which i have turned down as i feel i can make a difference in the welfare role.

Over the last number of years while working as a loans officer, i have worked with key organisations such as MABS , HSE (Drug Strategy Committee) among others.

I have been in the college envoirnment for 6 years now and have seen elections come and go with promises being made , the only promise can make to you is that i will work 100% for you my fellow students in any issue i can.

As per my manifesto , if elected on wednesday i will operate an open door policy in my office , i will be visible around the campus and the most important thing i will repersent you the student - you are my boss and i will always remember that.

Support Damo in supporting community involvement here on Campus.
    Remember to vote on Wednesday

Damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Hustings: 11.30am tomorrow, Tuesday 28 April, Stables

Polling: Wednesday, 9am - 7pm, SU Photocopying Room, Library foyer, Health Sciences building.

Best of luck to all candidates and congratulations to Michael Bourke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mech_engineer

derek daly is a shoe in for the post as

there is only one day to poiling and there is no sign of the other two canadates on campus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

So.....

I'm Derek Daly, 22, from Limerick and a Business student at UL since 2005. I've learned a lot from my time in UL, both academically and extra-curricular. I think the team already elected has this spread and I want to bring my experiences to the mix.

I strongly believe an active involvement in extra-curricular activities, be they union based or otherwise, is something which can be used to the benefit of students in the Welfare area. Particularly when students come looking for advice in the first few weeks of college or are at risk of dropping out, or worse, pointing them towards something where they can make new friends and get active at college is very important. Whether it be connect, community forum volunteering , working groups or clubs and societies, I would like to think that I have had enough experience of all of these to help people along.

Many believe that knowing the current sabbatical officers is being "part of the clique"
    1. General involvement in the Union means you get to know these people by default.
    2. There have been many sabbatical officers in my time at UL that I have come to know only because they were sabbatical officers, but become friends with as a result. This is not a bad thing.
    3. Getting on personally with any member of the Union is no indication that someone is not capable of independent thought. I have never gotten involved in anything for the purpose of keeping everything the same. Life changes, the world changes, and proposing changes that may seem to overshadow a previous officer is just a symptom of passing times.
    I've spoken to various people throughout the University researching this job, including John O'Rourke of Plassey Campus Centre, Pat McInerney and Patricia Conlan of the Law Department, Aidan Healy Connect Coordinator and Michael O'Mahony of Counselling. This is why I know that what I have said I will do, can be done.

I did not run on the last occasion as official election procedures did not allow it given my position on another campaign which I had committed to months ago. However, following the clear lack of interest I put myself forward this time after some very very hard thought and with much disscussion with family and friends, some supportive from the off and some still wanting me to take my graduate training contract.

Anyone who knows me, knows that when I set out to do something, I will give it my all, and any of you who know people who know me, will be told the same thing if you ask.

I intend to run on the basics of Accommodation, Health and Finance, with the addition of Créche (I know the accent is the worng way round) expansion as an aim, and afterschool care provision as a high target to reach.

As well as dealing with the Leaving Cert entrant, I have no issue in encouraging all other older or foreign students, who from my experience are few and far between in active involvement (though I have seen those who do get involved really get into it and get so much back too) to come in and feel free to ask me for advice. I am not imparting life knowledge, but a taste of UL which I have acquired since I first arrived, that may help them on their way.

I also believe that whatever happens, students' unions are not places where things get don overnight, so I will keep people updated through An Focal next year on the progress of my manifesto contents. Hopefully I will add something useful to the patchwork that previous Welfare Officers have created and set the scene for further developments for years to come. No position is about just the year, it is about the opportunities that you grasp and those that you create for your successors, and if elected I want mine to show that I did all I could to serve UL students during my tenure.

The facebook page has further details on a lot of what I want to do, but not quite everything. If you have any queries drop me a pm or email me vote1daly@gmail.com.

Derek
    find_us_on_facebook_badge.gif?8:81200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Quick observations from the day's activities. I noticed posters for Derek Daly and Damien Wade. If Ciaran Lyne is still running he's not being all that obvious about it. Daly had a stand in the main courtyard for at least the afternoon (I wasn't around in the morning). Also flyers.

Simply put, at the moment, Daly is ahead, Wade is following and if Lyne is running a campaign, it may hitherto be a secret one. A big push from any of the candidates tomorrow could change the order but that's the way it currently is (I'm not going to make any election predictions but a dead dog can see this one).

There are posters up for hustings so people know about it and perhaps people will turn up, though I suspect they won't.

Apparently ULvoteforme is away on holidays so there may be no-one blogging the thing. I'm a poor substitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

The hustings are over with....and what an intriguing hustings they were too.

It was my first time attending hustings, and [all bias aside here] I felt that all the candidates delivered themselves well.

For those that think Daly is going to be a shoe in, think again.
    There is a reason he was campaigning early, and that imo is to be recognised, and have a longer standing memory in people's minds.

The questions posed were fair, and they were answered well by everybody too.

The one question which I personally felt wasnt dealt with properly was the last question on "gender".

When asked, everybody laughed, and that may be a natural response, but the candidates also appeared to laugh at the question. I know they subsequently answered the question more appropriately, it was their initial reaction which struck me as being wrong. [just a personal opinion, maybe I mistook the laughter from the crowd too]

Still though, it makes for an interesting campaign now

Mossin wrote: »
    The hustings are over with....and what an intriguing hustings they were too.

It was my first time attending hustings, and [all bias aside here] I felt that all the candidates delivered themselves well.

For those that think Daly is going to be a shoe in, think again.
    There is a reason he was campaigning early, and that imo is to be recognised, and have a longer standing memory in people's minds.

The questions posed were fair, and they were answered well by everybody too.

The one question which I personally felt wasnt dealt with properly was the last question on "gender".

When asked, everybody laughed, and that may be a natural response, but the candidates also appeared to laugh at the question. I know they subsequently answered the question more appropriately, it was their initial reaction which struck me as being wrong. [just a personal opinion, maybe I mistook the laughter from the crowd too]

Still though, it makes for an interesting campaign now

mate i didnt laugh and if you felt i did i am really sorry , as i said i have volunteering with childline for 6 years and have heard every issue under the sun , my view was that i would be there to support the students in any way i can. I dont know everything but i have a mouth and not afraid to find out where to go and put the student on the right direction.

Damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Similarly to Damo, I raised an eyebrow, but I think it was more the way the question was asked (and from whom it came) as opposed to the question that was the subject of eyebrow raising.

I don't know what Mark intended when asking really.

What was the question? About you all being male or about possible difficulties girls in distress might have making their way into the office because nest year's welfare officer is definitely going to be male?

We've had quite a few male Welfare officers in the past and some of them are generally remembered as being among the best we've had.

• Advertisement

A guy asked the question in relation to how the welfare officer would react if a guy came to the office confused about his 'gender'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

Daly: Good manifesto pamphlet, must have cost a few quid to get them done up. Early start makes him the favourite and will work to his advantage.good posters, ok signs. Solid foundations laid over the last two days. Very quiet campaign today though. Was expecting more from him. Needs to get more ppl on the ground. Poor t shirts.

Lyons:The outsider has a lot of catching up to do if he’s to win. Left it too late to start. But has put solid work in over the last 24 hours. Those rice crispy buns are a plus. So too are the aero bars. They must have set him back a few bob. Not sure which was the better option – daly going for poor t shirts or lynes going for no t shirts. Sometimes a bad t shirt is worse than no t shirt.

Wade:Good campaign good t shirts. Good visible presence on campus today. Seems to have a lot of bodies campaigning for him. Courtyard has become a warzone with him and Daly fighting for turf, and more importantly the elusive votes. Shown a lot of enthusiasm for the job but some of his ideas seem sketchy. Well give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Verdict: still two big hours of campaigning ahead of us. Depends how much work is put in that two hours.

Daly will have the backing of the union and the early start will stand to him.
    Lyne’s will finish in third. We question will he even pass the 100 votes mark. Campaign began to late for him to make any inroads in the results.

The non union vote will be split between wade and lynes and that will only work to wades disadvantage.

Daly’s to lose but wade will run him tight.

Reality is less than 800 ppl will even vote. Whoever gets elected will be in the knowledge that most students didn’t give two sh*tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Those rice crispy buns are a plus. So too are the aero bars. They must have set him back a few bob.

Surprised the ERB didn't get onto him about the AERO Bars (Nestle is boycotted by the Su and as such anyone one running for an SU position should be bound by the standing orders [policies] of the SU).

Anyone agree or disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

DJCR wrote: »
    Surprised the ERB didn't get onto him about the AERO Bars (Nestle is boycotted by the Su and as such anyone one running for an SU position should be bound by the standing orders [policies] of the SU).

Ffs, give a guy a break! :rolleyes:

Ffs, give a guy a break! :rolleyes:

Ha, suppose rules are made to be broken so!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

well if people are going to be that petty (no dig intended) then maybe they should ensure that whoever made the rice crispie puns used fair trade choloclate or whatever too:pac::pac:

If it isn't in the election rules it doesn't matter a damn until after someone gets elected and starts selling them.

Also, SU officers are on the management board of the Stables and you can still buy Kit Kats and Drifters there (obviously that's where I get mine)

I didn't get an aero:(

well if people are going to be that petty (no dig intended) then maybe they should ensure that whoever made the rice crispie puns used fair trade choloclate or whatever too:pac::pac:

Dig not taken its ok:D:D -Just gets frustrating after reading the constitution I don't know how many times + asking class reps to revote on it every 2 years (wether to continue it or not - some stuff goes out of date) + getting the whole student population to vote on wether to do sh1t or not.

Then it gets disregarded in a moment - Seems like a massive waste of time and money.

*Thinks to self.... may have gone slightly overboard there*
    sceptre wrote: »

Also, SU officers are on the management board of the Stables and you can still buy Kit Kats and Drifters there (obviously that's where I get mine)

I didn't get an aero:(

Wow, didn't know that (They sold Nestle - of course I knew they were on the board)!!! Student boycot of the stables starting now :D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

There is no doubt that Derek will win by a large majority at this point. He had the best campaign by far, a good manifesto, clear and visible posters, lots of support and more importantly lots of research into the position. Was the only candidate to approach me during the four days about the elections even though I was on campus all the time. Was approached today by someone campaigning for Wade outside the library but had already voted at that point...

To clear up why I didnt run for the position in the end as I have been asked by about 30 people in the past week.. I was ill since rag week and missed two weeks of college. Im under continuous assesment with no final exams (Yes I know New Media & English is a bit of a joke), and had to simply put my degree first... I have 70% of my entire semesters work due this week and simply didnt have time for a campaign. My grades also fell last semester due to the amount of time I was spending on the Crumlin Hospital fundraising campaign. It was a difficult decision for me to make but I think I made the right choice. Otherwise I may not have been graduating this year!!

The adventure for damo has ended and what an adventure that has been. Lost out on this occassion but the dream doesnt end here. Thank you to all who supported me and my campaign over the last number of days. My campaign manager was the best as was my campaign team from my class.

Best of luck to the incoming welfare officer dereck

thanks once again
    Damo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JR09

damoo wrote: »
    The adventure for damo has ended and what an adventure that has been. Lost out on this occassion but the dream doesnt end here. Thank you to all who supported me and my campaign over the last number of days. My campaign manager was the best as was my campaign team from my class.

Best of luck to the incoming welfare officer dereck

thanks once again
    Damo

so its all over ?
    Man you ran a great campaign and you had my support. Must admit didnt think you were in it to win at the start , but met you yesterday and you bought me !! Best of luck in whatever you do man , its ULs loss !!

Ciaran - think you left it too late man ,,, jst thinking there if the two of yee got together i believe yee could have taken it.

in my opinion yee were the honest men in this election , yee didnt sell yer souls out to anyone but the students you wanted to repersent ! great job credit to yee .

any final results??
    Dk best of luck in the year ahead , i hope you can keep indo like you promised - if you do you will do a great job ?

JR09 wrote: »
    any final results??

Derek won with 53% of the vote!!

Congrats Derek...... I think you'll make a great Condom Man for the year!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well done Derek! Two boardsies in office now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DCJR

Derek won with 53% of the vote!!

Congrats Derek...... I think you'll make a great Condom Man for the year!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Any exact figures for me DJ?;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULPaddy

DCJR wrote: »

DRCJ, JRDC, DRJC, RDCJ... Anyone else confused!?!?:confused: :pac:

Who needs figures, Derek WON! :)

Well Done Derek!!! :D

I think I can truthfully say, he who got it, deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

W00t go Derek!
    Best news I've heard all day actually. :D

DCJR wrote: »

David (James) Collison (Ryan) Junior..... I have no exact figures as of yet!!!

Anyone else have the figures?

ULPaddy wrote: »
    DRCJ, JRDC, DRJC, RDCJ... Anyone else confused!?!?:confused: :pac:

I find it quite flattering really !!!

SOMEONE WANTS TO BE ME!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Dig not taken its ok:D:D -Just gets frustrating after reading the constitution I don't know how many times + asking class reps to revote on it every 2 years (wether to continue it or not - some stuff goes out of date) + getting the whole student population to vote on wether to do sh1t or not.

Then it gets disregarded in a moment - Seems like a massive waste of time and money.
    Depends what the wording of the referendum was.

If it was "will not support" than current SU people are bound by it, in other words thinking of a completely hypothetical example, if the SU were given a large number of kit kats for free, they couldn't distribute them

If it was "will not sell in the shop", well then it's a bit more clear.

In any case, anyone who isn't a current SU officer is free to do whatever they want. Our society could be more free at times (for example this at the moment) but when you're not bound by the rules involved in a job which you currently don't have you can do whatever you please within the boundaries of the law (or in the case of UL, whatever's allowed by the university within the freedoms guaranteed by the law, given that it's private property). I can still buy my drifters in the Stables and if i want to give them away to other people in the main courtyard I can. Though obviously I wouldn't because I'm more interested in eating them myself.

I think I can see your point Dave, but I reckon you're putting the cart before the horse on it.

On a lighter note, congrats to Derek on the election win and commiserations to Damo and Ciaran. The campaigning, as far as I could see, was unsullied, unbitchy and pretty positive, even more so than the last brace of elections, which had its negative moments from campaigners. Thanks especially to Derek and to Damo (and to Siobhan as a prospective candidate) for engaging with the great unwashed here, it hasn't gone unnoticed by those that have read it that you were willing to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

No matter what gets said here, there really was only one campaign run for this post. I'll be surprised if the results aren't in quintuple or more scores.

Advertisement