Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections (Welfare Officer) 2009 - week 13!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Congrats Derek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Congratulations Derek!
    A solid campaign, and a deserved winner too.

All the best for next year, I look forward to seeing you about the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

sceptre wrote: »
    thinking of a completely hypothetical example, if the SU were given a large number of kit kats for free, they couldn't distribute them

:D:D:D:D Cheeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

sceptre wrote: »
    Depends what the wording of the referendum was.

If it was "will not support" than current SU people are bound by it, in other words thinking of a completely hypothetical example, if the SU were given a large number of kit kats for free, they couldn't distribute them

If it was "will not sell in the shop", well then it's a bit more clear.

POI: the question put to students was: "Should the SU boycott Nestlé?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

Prize Pony comes home to roost!

Dereck daly has rode into town on the back of a white horse and on the crest of a wave, with his cap held high and his tail between his legs!! Giddy up cow girl!!

Final figures, although correct me if im wrong…

604 votes cast

310 daly

258 wade

36 lions

Congratulations to dereck and commiserations to second place Damo and last place ciaran.

I hope the new welfare officer doesn’t get a laptop, with nearly 6000 posts on boards.ie daly would be doing nothing all year if he gets his mitts on a computer with wireless.

The low turnout rubbishes claims from some rival campaign teams and students alike that president elect ruan Dillon mclocklen was telling ppl to vote for Dereck via text and word of mouth. If ruan had been involved we’re sure daly would have got more votes than the meagre 310

one issue someone might clear up for me….

1.why does the su boycott nestle, and how sad is that?

We can all safely say that most students didn’t give two sh*tes about this election.

Congratulations to Derec. Good campaign by him and we’re sure he’ll make a great officer for the union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

We can all safely say that most students didn’t give two sh*tes about this election.

I dont think thats true at all, I just think that in week 13 there are a lot lot more pressing matters than voting.

I know that the aero eng 3rd years had 4 assignments due this week and an exam today, so do you think they were even aware of an election going on? or had the time to come out an vote?

Also, many students go home for the study week [back to parents, and other counties] this limits the number of students actually around campus during study week. This is also highlighed by the ease of getting food on campus at lunch time this week!

There werent as many polling stations around the place either. Many students study in the KBS and Schuman, and never get up near the Library or SU, and they hadnt an opportunity to vote down there this time around.

I'm only giving a few possible reasons for the low-turnout. Of course these students could have gone and voted, it isnt that far, and it doesnt take long, but thats the way of it.

I spoke to 2 4th year BBS girls, and asked them were they voting, and their response was "Nah, I dont care, it doesnt affect me, and its got nothing to do with me".

I'm sure many students are like that, and tbh, I think its something which needs to be addressed if there is to be a more representative vote in years ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hi everyone.

Firstly I want to thank all those who voted for me and secondly thank Damo and Ciaran for a rather less fraught election than we had in week 9. The distinct lack of friction was greatly appreciated, and I'd be fairly certain the feeling is mutual.

I really want to thank all my campaign team who had much better things to be doing in week 13 selling me to people. Particular thanks are due to Conor McCarthy my Campaign Manager and his partner in crime Keith Young who were campaigning solid for 3 days apart from a trip to A&E. Their committment and that of the rest of the team doubtless convinced many people to vote for me and for that I am really grateful.

The total official poll (IIRC) was 889,
    Spoiled Votes - 2
    Quota - 444
    Daly, Derek - 474
    Lyne, Ciaran - 191
    Wade, Damien - 222

They could be out, give or take 5 votes.

I look forward to working on behalf of UL students from this June.

Contrary to what was said about turnout previously, I think almost 900 is pretty alright for week 13 with lots of people off in the land of "home" home and others buried under 12 weeks of lectures and tutorials in their houses and apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Can't understand why important elections were held so late in the year. In Mary I we had our elections on March 25th. Details on the student run website http://www.whatsthelan.com/The%20Election%20Results%20__.htm There was a turnout of 1330 which isn't bad compared to a total student population of over 3,000. Darrell Healy told me at the time that the turnout in Mary I is always higher than in UL, an amazing fact considering the student population in UL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

lighthouse wrote: »
    Can't understand why important elections were held so late in the year. In Mary I we had our elections on March 25th. Details on the student run website http://www.whatsthelan.com/The%20Election%20Results%20__.htm There was a turnout of 1330 which isn't bad compared to a total student population of over 3,000. Darrell Healy told me at the time that the turnout in Mary I is always higher than in UL, an amazing fact considering the student population in UL.

The elections were held in Week 9, but as no one initially ran for Welfare a separate election had to be held for the position at a later date, i.e., Week 13.

The turnout for the elections in Week 9 was over 2000. The turnout was lower in Week 13 as it was a study week and thus there were not as many students around.

Interesting.
    I ran for equality and welfare officer in the Mary I elections and was elected. It was a last minute decision for me to run. Darrell Healey (Pres. s.u.) wanted me to run for clubs and societies as no one was running for it but I told him that I would have more of an interest in Eq. and We. eventhough there was already 1 guy running for that. When I made my mind up to run I realized that I really wanted it and was glad that I went for it in the end.

• Advertisement

It worked out well for me anyway. I was't eligiblbe to run in the original election, but I was kinda peeved at how late in the semester the election was to facilitate concurrent postgrad elections (which weren't needed). My degree has definitely taken a hammering as a result, but I think it was worth it.

Week 12 would have been much more suited to a higher turnout, but obviously that wasn't workable for the above reason due to the cost of running elections.

If you get a chance have a look at the website I run in Mary I. I have a link to a ning social network site I set up last weekend (link on homepage). You're welcome to join it if you want. You could even promote it among your friends www.whatsthelan.com :)

By the way Derek, is your job full-time paid cos the only full time paid jobs in Mary I are President and Vice-President. All other jobs are part-time voluntary. I am a B. Ed. mature student going into 3rd year so will have to fit in my duties with my studies :)

lighthouse wrote: »
    By the way Derek, is your job full-time paid cos the only full time paid jobs in Mary I are President and Vice-President. All other jobs are part-time voluntary. I am a B. Ed. mature student going into 3rd year so will have to fit in my duties with my studies :)

I am 1 of 6 full-time paid officers. We have a further 6 voting reps, plus our first year rep and Union Secretary General.

Advertisement