Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self-drive in The Serengeti

• 27-04-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am interested in visiting The Serengeti and exploring the area indepentantly by car/jeep in November. I'm trying to find out what the costs involved will be. Am I correct in saying that the Park entry fees are about 120 Euro per day for myself, my wife, and our vehicle? Does anyone know whether a normal car would suffice or is a 4x4 needed? The first place I looked for accommodation was about 60 Euro per night (for 2 persons) in tent-style lodgings - is there much cheaper available?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tikkal

You will need a 4x4, dirt road, would be scared to have a breakdown in a car, no way Jose. Entry is per day averaging 4 days in total, pay per person and then the vehicle (check on their Serengeti website http://www.serengeti.org/index_safari.html). Dunno about paying for camping independently. I had my own tent. I never saw anyone travelling independently. The Serengeti is massive, how do you plan on negotiating your way round? You could find the driving exhausting, it gets v.hot during the day.

Maybe if you wish to experience the safari independently and with little navigation then Lake Manyara in Tanzania is very nice, a lot of animals to be seen and accessible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Tikkal wrote: »
    You will need a 4x4, dirt road, would be scared to have a breakdown in a car, no way Jose. Entry is per day averaging 4 days in total, pay per person and then the vehicle (check on their Serengeti website http://www.serengeti.org/index_safari.html). Dunno about paying for camping independently. I had my own tent. I never saw anyone travelling independently. The Serengeti is massive, how do you plan on negotiating your way round? You could find the driving exhausting, it gets v.hot during the day.

Maybe if you wish to experience the safari independently and with little navigation then Lake Manyara in Tanzania is very nice, a lot of animals to be seen and accessible.

I think that website is where I found those prices, I was trying to figure out whether or not I was calculating them correctly coz that sounds very expensive? What does 'entry is per day averaging 4 days in total' mean?

Did you not have to pay for a campsite to setup your tent or were you allowed to just set it up in the wilderness?!! I don't think I'll be bringing a tent so I'll need to book some sort of accommodation.

I haven't checked out the distances involved but I expect I would pick an area that was good for wildlife at the time I was travelling and do most of my driving within that area.

Advertisement