Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm Rrecking My Head

• 27-04-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

for the last 2 hours or so there's a house alarm going off just 3 doors down from me. i have been out to take a look and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward - (ie) no sign of a break in. this isn't the first time this alarm has gone off - it has happened a few times in the recent past. i don't know the owners but obviously they are not about.

question is - my head is fryed from listening to this thing - can i ring the guards to get them to turn it off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi,

for the last 2 hours or so there's a house alarm going off just 3 doors down from me. i have been out to take a look and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward - (ie) no sign of a break in. this isn't the first time this alarm has gone off - it has happened a few times in the recent past. i don't know the owners but obviously they are not about.

question is - my head is fryed from listening to this thing - can i ring the guards to get them to turn it off?

AFAIK you can after a certain amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

I had the alarm from my neighbours going off internally for two weeks a few years back when they went off on holidays. It was so loud when I was on the house phone the person on the other end would ask is my alarm going off!!!

Rang the guards after 3 days and they said there was nothing they could do, same from the company that installed the alarms so in the end bought ear plugs and only came into the house to sleep! :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Oh noes

is it mine ?

DamoKen wrote: »
    I had the alarm from my neighbours going off internally for two weeks a few years back when they went off on holidays. It was so loud when I was on the house phone the person on the other end would ask is my alarm going off!!!

Rang the guards after 3 days and they said there was nothing they could do, same from the company that installed the alarms so in the end bought ear plugs and only came into the house to sleep! :(

New laws introduced last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

What provisions / changes did they bring in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Hi,

The external bell is only supposed to sound for 15 mins by law but the internal siren will keep going until the alarm is unset. Some technicians however ignore this and configure the external bell for continuous ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

maybe the next time your alarm goes off you should hope people call the guards to report the possibilty of a robbery as opposed to reporting the noise pollution.

unless you hvae a system thats linked to a security firm/guards then there is obviously no reason for alarms on houses anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

My mates next door has been going off for nearly 2 months and ERU and all were out and did nothing walked around the house and left adn alarm is still going off

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TechnicalGroup

Hi,

The gardaí are far too lazy to do anything when they have an excuse not to.

In theory if you damage someone else's property, that is an offence, but you must have had the criminal intent to cause damage to be prosecuted.

At present you have good reason to believe that the alarm is faulty, because it is sounding for more than 15 minutes, and there is no sign of a crime. It is also causing a huge nuisance. If you were to take the view that you wanted to fix it while your neighbour was away, you could wrench off the cover and keep cutting wires until it was silenced. Providing that your intent is not to cause damage, you cannot be prosecuted.

That leaves the chance that your neighbour could sue you for damaging the alarm by incompetently trying to fix it. Even in this remote eventuality, you could countersue for the disturbance.

Asok wrote: »
    What provisions / changes did they bring in?

I think if the alarm sounds for more than 30 minutes now the guards have the right to enter your home and disarm it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Theres nothing worse then alarms going off,a right pain in the a.rse,I think it is ignorant of people to get burglar alarms in housing estates,most of the time they go off for no reason and bug the hell out of the houses that surround the offending house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

I have to say this is one of my pet hates, the incessant ringing of alarms. Sometimes theres a chorus going on in the estate where I live. It's enough to drive you round the twist

Advertisement