Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does * mean beside lecturers name?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

On a past exam paper there are 5 lecturers listed and a star resides beside one. What does this mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Module Coordinator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Module Coordinator.

not necessarily.
    i think it is the lecturer of the module, who is not always the module coordinator

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

It usually means that that particular lecturer has set the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I always thought it was the module coordinator, I could be wrong though.
    not necessarily.
    i think it is the lecturer of the module, who is not always the module coordinator
    The what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

It means those are the people who lectured you in that course...or so I am lead into thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

external examiner

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's the lecturer who set the exam, delivered the majority of the module etc. The other names are those who are on the exam board for that module - the head of school/department and the external examiner. Occasionally if some of a module is given by a temporary employee of the college they can't be the examiner - so another lecturer's name will be there to take responsibility for the module. The star will still be beside the name of the person who did most of the 'work'.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

milly4ever wrote: »
    external examiner

Not possible, because for every exam i've ever taken the starred name has been the lecturer or course coordinator for that module.

As I said, it's the person who has set the exam.

Breezer wrote: »

The what now?

i didnt realise young fine gael were above lecturers....

i didnt realise young fine gael were above lecturers....

Neither did I. Nor do I have a clue what that's supposed to mean. I'm just wondering what's meant by 'the lecturer of the module.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

does it matter in any way who the hell it is

i for one have better things to do days before exams start and during the exams to even notice it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Breezer wrote: »
    Neither did I. Nor do I have a clue what that's supposed to mean. I'm just wondering what's meant by 'the lecturer of the module.'

Would 'the lecturers' help?

It must be the person/people who has/have delivered the content of the module, as it has always synched up in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've had courses where I've never actually met the module co-ordinator (* next to the name), since the lectures were given by someone else. While I don't necessarily think the module co-ordinator writes the whole of an exam him/herself, I do think he/she is the responsible person, the one who signs off on the exam. It's Bureaucracy.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

Its basically the person to contact in relation to the exam - the liaison you might say.

It is normally the module coordinator but might not be!!

Mushy wrote: »
    Would 'the lecturers' help?

It must be the person/people who has/have delivered the content of the module, as it has always synched up in my experience.
    Not really, since there's always only been one * on my papers, but I've rarely done a module with less than 3 or 4 main lecturers. Probably about 6 on average.

Meh.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/staffexamguidelines.pdf

section 8.12

it's the internal examiner who should be contacted in the event of any queries arising in relation to the exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

In the vast majority of cases it is the module co-ordinator as they are responsible for setting the exam (speaking from experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

..like someone said what dif does it make and you must be really confident of acing your exams if thats all you have to worry about :pac:
    and from all the dif responses, sounds like no-one has a CLUE anyway!

Advertisement