Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you cook your steak?

• 27-04-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Looks like everyone has a slightly different method for cooking steak - how do you cook yours?

Here's my method: I like a nice bit of ribeye, almost an inch thick. Rub salt and pepper in on both sides, and rub lightly all over with a little olive oil.

The pan: cast iron, hotter than hell with no oil.

Sear steak on both sides for one minute, don't disturb the steak while its on the pan. Then, put the pan in a very hot oven and continue cooking for about 1:30-2 mins per side for a medium-rare steak. Remove meat, put on a heated plate, cover with foil and let it sit for about 2 mins while cooking the mushrooms and onions in the pan. Mmmmmmmm!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im a ribeye girl myself. I love mine mooing (nice and rare) with homemade bearnaise sauce, not exactly the lightest on calories option !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I go for rib-eye too. On the BBQ, everytime. Saves me washing the griddle :)
    Med-rare on the side of rare (just not too cold in the middle)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

foodaholic wrote: »
    Im a ribeye girl myself. I love mine mooing (nice and rare) with homemade bearnaise sauce, not exactly the lightest on calories option !

Had this last night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Fillet, blue.. wicked! My meat has to be moving :)

That or a nice marbled sirloin just over rare, little bit of salt and pepper with bernaise sauce, onions, mushrooms, steamed broc and mustard mash... and a nice red wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I think i might pop out to the butchers and pick myself a bit of cow. Curse u OP you've put my diet on the back burner:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i wouldn't generally season any meat with salt until after it's cooked, other than the skin of roast pork (to crisp it up) as someone toldme that it will draw liquid out of the meat faster as it's cooking. not sure how true it is, but it's a habit now anyway.

usually a thick bit of ribeye or striploin (need something with some fat in it)

into a searing hot pan with a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom and a knob of butter in after about 30 seconds.

sear both sides until the desired colour is achieved and then pop into a hot oven till medium rare.

i'm assuming every steak lover already knows the finger/thumb trick to judge doneness?

if i'm eating in a restaurant I always order it blue, but it usually comes out rare.

sauce wise, onion, mushrooms, garlic cooked down and then a big knob of philadelphia and crumbled blue cheese (gorgonzola is nice) and a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper. melt together than add a little beef stock to thin it down as required, either from the cooking steak or whatever you happen to have laying around. those knorr stock pots are pretty good and melt right in the pan followed by some boiling water to the desired consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement