Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Lens

• 27-04-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi

I got my first DSLR(Sony Alpha350) in January with an 18-70 lens i'm looking for a new lens but to be honest i'm not to sure what to get.

I want something thats going to give me more zoom and dont want to spend a fortune too, would something like a 18-200 be any use or would i be better off getting something else?

Also where's the best place to buy on the web?

Cheers

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

Say €100-€200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

You probably need to provide a bit more information. You answered your question as posed - yes an 18-200 will give you more zoom than 18-70 kit but there has to be more to it i'm guessing.

What will you intend shooting? Portraits / Landscapes / Sports / Nighttime / Gigs and Low light. They all will have different aspects to them on which you'd recommend usage.

You should also research the forum as this question has been asked many times recently and the search should throw up some results which would give you an idea as to what has suited others.

I suppose i'm just looking for a all rounder as i've not got that serious yet, i want to just get used to the camera then i'm going to do a course

I did search but didn't find anything, maybe my search terms were wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

At the OP's budget it's hard to pass this.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys

I have now got some spair cash together and have narrowed it down to this 1 http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230343024620 or this 1 http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120428220825

Which would be the best choice?

Also i would be buying from Ebay and 1 of them is in Hong Kong, would i have to pay customs tax bringing it into Ireland?

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not able to View eBay at work, so I have no idea as to which lenses are being linked.

The answer for Duty & VAT is "Probably". It seems that the majority of imports are now getting detected. It is best to factor in these fees when looking at any purchase outside the EU.

***MOD*** Please remember that discussion of avoidance of VAT & Duty is covered in the charter. Breaches of this will be rewarded with a break away from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I did search but didn't find anything, maybe my search terms were wrong

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055575335

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Thanks for the replys

I have now got some spair cash together and have narrowed it down to this 1 http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230343024620 or this 1 http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120428220825

Which would be the best choice?

Also i would be buying from Ebay and 1 of them is in Hong Kong, would i have to pay customs tax bringing it into Ireland?

Cheers

The first one you linked to is the same as posted by nilhg. Its a bit cheaper on e-bay, but to be honest I'd rather purchase from the distributor linked in nilhg's post...

Here's the same lense, but from a seller in Cork €159
    Sigma 70-300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Advertisement

The first one you linked to is the same as posted by nilhg. Its a bit cheaper on e-bay, but to be honest I'd rather purchase from the distributor linked in nilhg's post...

Here's the same lense, but from a seller in Cork €159
    Sigma 70-300

Thats for a Nikon not sony

I think its a different one aswell as its not the APO model(what ever that means).

Is there much of a difference?

CabanSail wrote: »
    Not able to View eBay at work, so I have no idea as to which lenses are being linked.

The answer for Duty & VAT is "Probably". It seems that the majority of imports are now getting detected. It is best to factor in these fees when looking at any purchase outside the EU.

***MOD*** Please remember that discussion of avoidance of VAT & Duty is covered in the charter. Breaches of this will be rewarded with a break away from the forum.

1st one is a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO €173.00 from Hong Kong

2nd one is a TAMRON AF 18-200 Di II €207 from UK

Advertisement