Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edimax WIRELESS 3G BROADBAND ROUTER 4 PORT 3G-6200WG

• 27-04-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I got this router at the weekend in the Carphone warehouse in the cresent in limerick.

only 99euros , I know it was cheaper on the peats website but it was a case of I want it now.

Anyways ... It works very well for me and the print server function was the deciding factor between this one and the dovodo router.

Despite what most people think, mobile BB is ok for gaming if you have a good reception and its not overloaded in your area.

I normally get between 100 - 150 ping in game on COD4 which is roughly the same ISDN pings.

which is well playable.

This post is really just to let people know they can buy it locally
    Dazza

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bambo

Hi Mr Daz,
    I bought the same one (edimax router). I have a vodafone dongle and one laptop at home.

I bought the edimax router with the plan that I would put the router and the dongle in the attic (really good reception, whereas the rest of the house has a poor reception).

I thought you could just attach the dongle to the router and this would give wireless all over the house. However, It looks like you need to have one pc/laptop attached to the router via cable in order for this to work.

Could anyone please help or let me know if I have this correct? Excuse my technical ignorance!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Hi Bambo,

No problem mate. You dont need to have it connected to any pc in order for it to work.

Once the router has initally been setup (using the setup wizard) and working you can put it anywhere in the house as long as its powered on.

My own setup, I have the router upstairs and once I power on the router . it takes about a min or so then the dongle dials up to the net..after that the wireless works fine around the house.

Did you setup it up first on the laptop?

Daz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bambo

Thanks Daz,

I finally got it to work in the end. Spent a couple of hours on it for something that is a simple set-up and should only take 5 minutes!!!! Damn computers. Cheers.

Without the router I can stand in the two areas of best reception (by my front door or in the attic) and get about 2.5 mbs. Everywhere else in my house is very poor reception - with about 0.3 mbs.

With the router placed in either of these two good spots I probably only get about 1.5mbs around my house. The signal seems a bit more intermittent also. But its far better to be able to get decent speeds all over the house.

I'll try to improve this signal over the weekend and post a simple guide for how to set it up. Although, as Daz pointed out, its easy except if your IT illiterate like myself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 patrickjlyons

Thanks for posting info on this, I was looking into these lately and was wondering how it would perform.. Dabs dot ie sell these for 66 + shipping..might just go to CPWH instead as I want it now also :)

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 racer2311

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up the router with the 'three' modem. I cannot get it to connect at all.

The three modem works fine when attached to the usb on the computer, however, as soon as I connect it through the wireless router it is not recognised. 'Data modem invalid', and I cannot connect.

Anybody out there have a similar problem?
    It'd be great if someone gave me a hand on this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Hey Racer,

I assume you have it in the correct USB port (i know ..but worth checking all the same)

Once its in the correct usb port , just install the cd and follow the steps on screen.
    I think from memory it takes about 5mins for one of the steps to complete. whill it registers with the modem etc.

Daz

Advertisement