Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband - Good or Not

Options
  • 27-04-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting rid of my 3MB BT line and getting the UPC 20MB line with free local calls (Celbridge - Co Kildare area)? Any thoughts on this? I'm looking at this in the sense that I will get faster BB with no download limits with only a 2 Euro increase?

Comments and advise welcomed!!!!:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Check out the Broadband forum. Lots of UPC BB threads there.

There is a cap, by the way. It's just not made public for the 10 and 20 MB packs - somewhere aroung 150GB pm on the 20 meg package, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moved from Cable TV (see my Avatar box)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jekc73

461362645.png

I'm paying 42 euro a month like an idiot for that speed!!

Officially it's supposed to be 20 Mb/s. I could get 5 Mb/s off meteor for less than half the price... :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

jekc73 wrote: »
    461362645.png

I'm paying 42 euro a month like an idiot for that speed!!

Officially it's supposed to be 20 Mb/s. I could get 5 Mb/s off meteor for less than half the price... :mad:

Is that from UPC??

Where about are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jekc73

Parnell St area, and one is NOT amused!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

The Majority of complaints about UPC broadband has been about the 20meg packages. I have used a 20meg connection and never actually clocked 20m

However I have 3 friends on 10meg and their connection is maxed out 24/7.

should save you money aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

461460282.png

upc 10mb i always get near max

the cap is more like 250gb

my ping goes from about 24 to 60

i play on xbox live with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

Thats mine, im in Portlaoise co laois, 20MBS We are on

Very happy with them.

461467974.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

on it since November in Navan (johnstown), where the 20bmps broadband was recently rolled out and am finding that it swings in roundabouts as there seems to be a high uptake of it locally cos it's new and it takes them a while to keep up with demand as new users are added, but overall it's been good. I'm a lot happeir than I was with BT.

Customer services can be hard work, but they do seem to be getting better since UPC took over the business.

downtime has been twice so far since 16th November when it was installed, but both times it was the local area that was affected, not just me and they had someone out and got it fixed either a few hours later that day or by the following morning.

torrenting is throttled in the evenings, but that's grand, got to let people browse the net and the 'unlimited' cap/fup is 250gb (upload plus download, not just download) per calendar month which is pretty good even if you're a heavy user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Lately, in Temple bar I have been maxing out my 20Mb connection, I'm not at home so can't give a speed test though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im in cork and find UPC very good for 4 years now no real probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

had no probs with the broadband service in my last place. 20Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

I also in Celbridge and have the 10MB package a couple of weeks from UPC. 1 night it won't work but apart from that it's fine and always near the 10MB whenever I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I'm in Ballyfermot on the 20mb package and its been great so far.

*fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im out in sandyford on the 10mb package, had a few initial problems but since then i have 100% uptime.

461875375.png

Its liek this all day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Yes, I think it is the best provider out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Never had a problem.
    On 20mb, never dropped bellow 18mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

anybody any idea when upc broadband is coming to dun Laoghaire? I've been on Eircom bb for 6 years now but lately the latency has gone through the roof. Looking for a change.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Have the 20mb about a month now and the speed is great so far.Easily max out my connection on newsgroups.Torrents is a bit hit and miss but nowhere near as bad as I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I'm on the 20mb package, Dublin 7 area, I have the UPC scientific atlanta modem connected to my own d-link wireless N router, very happy with the speed.
    [IMG][/img]462545230.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

lensman wrote: »
    I'm on the 20mb package, Dublin 7 area, I have the UPC scientific atlanta modem connected to my own d-link wireless N router, very happy with the speed.
    [IMG][/img]462545230.png

Huh how is that possible on a 20mb/1mb package?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

don't get to excited, my actual download speed on a good day is about 2.1mb per sec,....these speed tests are only a guide & you'll get different results from other online tests, below is a test I just did but I pinged to the dusseldorf server..go figure[IMG][/img]463026478.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

20m/b normally get 17-19 odd time it falls around ten

• Registered Users Posts: 3 to6ko91

do you get wireless g or wireless n router ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I got the 10mb 2 weeks ago and my pings to england dropped by 200ms!!!:pac:
    Eircon are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 woutie

With the netgear wrn2000 you get g or n, by default it is n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

In Rathfarnham on the 10Mb package. Broadband was perfect for 4 years, low pings, high speeds, but in the last 6 months it has been very poor. Download speeds fluctuate wildly and upload drops to zero most evenings.

Customer services are frustrating to deal with, have been on to them a number of times and they've sent engineers out to the house regularly but as the problem happens outside of normal working hours it has not been observed and resolved. That said when it works it is by far the best BB available for the money, miles ahead of Eircom and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

I was thinking of getting this bb (NTL 10 mb) in my own house (sandyford area). this is what i am getting in the house where i am living now and the connection is average/ok for gaming:

503532408.png

There seems to be a big difference in ping. Im assuming a higher ping is better for online gaming? Im really not in the know about broadband so sorry if this is a silly question!! getting a decent connection (either wired or wireless) on my ps3 will be priority when deciding a provider.

The other provider i was considering is digiweb (their 40€ pm metro package) purely because we had digiweb there before, fixed wireless connection antenna thing on the roof, if that makes sense!!

if anyone has any suggestions/things i need to out look for/ideas, id really really appreciate it :)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 woutie

My experience would be not to use a wireless internet connection, wireless is ok from your own router to the game console. Just my opinion.
    I got the UPC 10MB line + Phone in the meantime and I am very happy so far!
    In the middle of the day - 503625498.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

503813461.png
    20Meg in Temple Bar, D2 area, Its a good service, excellent pings, and I definately do get full 20meg download most times if downloading stuff, browsing speeds are fast too, only complaint is it occasionally randomly discconects, then re-connects, not sure what the problem is, although most days it always stays on but already today disconnected twice for some reason, but its no biggie, and not often

Nick

Advertisement