Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodies found in Egan's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Old urban burial ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sickened if you were pennies.

IIRC won't work be stopped for quite some time cause everyone will be up in arms for disturbing a burial site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I assume it will depend on how important the archaeologist deems the site to be, the bodies will be removed and treated with respect, and the site somewhat preserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ziedth wrote: »
    they're facing STIFF competition now :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No wonder people were objecting so hard to stop Pennys building! Clearly someone has something to hide and thought "Ill bury them under Egan's, will never be found!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Certain ex-ABC jocks haven't been spotted for years...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Certain ex-ABC jocks haven't been spotted for years...

Excommunicated perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One was called Mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »

IIRC won't work be stopped for quite some time cause everyone will be up in arms for disturbing a burial site.

Not necessarily. If there's nothing of any archaeological interest, they'll just move the bodies and that'll be it. If they include the fully clothed and well preserved remains of Sitric, Regnal and Turgesius, along with thirty followers standing upright buried alive in full ceremonial garb, then expect some delays.

Work on the development can be legally halted pending the full archaeological excavation of human remains. Archaeological work is carried out at the developer's expense and under licence from the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government and Arts, Tourism and Sport. This will take some time. Usually archaeological investigations in urban settings are carried out at the pre-development stage, this is to avoid the situations were development has to stop pending excavation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 terradactalxo

W o w.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Delayed by ATLEAST 3 months I'd say

Passed by today, no sign of anything happening at all. Usually some few folk working there around now. Pennys just isnt meant to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Three questions:

1. Are they Quakers???

2. Is it possible McCan't snuck in and planted them there???

and seriously...

3. I thought I read here that the face of Egans was protected and would be preserved, but it's the first thing they pulled down!!?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gscully wrote: »
    Three questions:

3. I thought I read here that the face of Egans was protected and would be preserved, but it's the first thing they pulled down!!?

I thought this to, my only thoughts is they pulled it down intact and will restore it when things are finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Cabaal wrote: »
    I thought this to, my only thoughts is they pulled it down intact and will restore it when things are finished
    T

This happens quite a lot and there are varying degrees, to which the planning can stipulate.
    the one most people assume with this sort of building, is leaving the front in place and undisturbed during renovations.
    I have seen on numerous occasions because of the ground works involved, planning allowing the facade to be completly removed and re-instated after works completed.
    or I have also seen, planning allowing the facae to be completly obliterated and thrown away, but the final construction with new material must mimic the old facade...
    numerous reasons for this to happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Thinking about this a little more...

Given its proximity to the Cathedral, is it not likely that this was an adjacent cemetery? These bodies may well be from 1000 years ago as the Cathedral was the only church within the city walls at the time.

Irish Times today http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0428/1224245519544.html suggests the site was part of the Dominican Abbey.

robtri wrote: »
    This happens quite a lot and there are varying degrees, to which the planning can stipulate.
    the one most people assume with this sort of building, is leaving the front in place and undisturbed during renovations.
    I have seen on numerous occasions because of the ground works involved, planning allowing the facade to be completly removed and re-instated after works completed.
    or I have also seen, planning allowing the facae to be completly obliterated and thrown away, but the final construction with new material must mimic the old facade...
    numerous reasons for this to happen..

My understanding is that the new facade will be 100% flush with the current Penney's facade. I don't think the Egans one was actually protected. To be honest, it was fairly modern for the most part anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

merlante wrote: »
    My understanding is that the new facade will be 100% flush with the current Penney's facade. I don't think the Egans one was actually protected. To be honest, it was fairly modern for the most part anyway.

Thats what I was just thinking, How old was that Egans front anyway?

• Advertisement

I found this interesting;
    “We’ve got a piece of the city wall standing two storeys high in the middle of the site and that will be on display in the new shop,” Mr Pollock said.

I cant seem to such the wall myself. Nor did I see any activity as to where the burial ground actually is. Nobody was looking after it yesterday anyway, which I would have assumed was a requirement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Thinking about this a little more...

Given its proximity to the Cathedral, is it not likely that this was an adjacent cemetery? These bodies may well be from 1000 years ago as the Cathedral was the only church within the city walls at the time.
    There were a few churches within the city walls at that time and the Cathederal was was only built in the 19th century from what I remember.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    There were a few churches within the city walls at that time and the Cathederal was was only built in the 19th century from what I remember.

Blackfriars was nearby, as it still is. (In fact there is a planning permission notice outside for it to be reroofed.) Not sure what was there before the Cathedral, but seeing as there are no ajoining St. <whatever> streets, there was probably not church there.

There would have been a lot of churches in the old city. Churches dedicated to St. Olaf (and older one on the same site iirc.), St. Peter (iirc.), the French Church, the medieval gothic Christ Church cathedral (on the same site), and probably a few more I don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

A friend who works in pennies told me he killed all those people.. they were just really rude/annoying customers he had to deal with on a daily basis he thought he was away with it burying them in egans :pac:

on a side note: walked past today and they seem to be working again!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement