Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can Laser cards be used?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have a Laser card from Ulster Bank, and I'm wondering if it can be used to book flights?

Earlier this week I tried to apply for a credit card - for the sole purpose of being able to book flights online - but I'm told it might not be approved. Here's why:

I finished college in May of 2008, then worked solid until a few weeks ago (redundancies) and now am unemployed.

I have thousands of euro saved up. Why won't they just give me a damn credit card? I don't even want credit - I just want a card that can be used for purchases online.

Laser is very limited, in this regard, or so I hear.

Comments and help very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have a Laser card from Ulster Bank, and I'm wondering if it can be used to book flights?

Does the airline you want to book with accept Laser? It should say it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Aerlingus do as far as i remember.

They wont give you one maybe be cause you not employed at the moment and its a form of lending and with no way to pay it back they wont risk it.

Well regardless of why they didnt a credit card is credit/lending what ever way you look at it they dont issue cards with no credit limit.

What you are looking for is a debit card and sadly most of the banks in ireland only issue laser which sucks for online use.

You could try a prepaid credit card but most are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Halifax current account offer Visa Debit, which pretty much all airlines accept. So even if you get turned down for a credit card, you could still use the Visa Debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Earlier this week I tried to apply for a credit card - for the sole purpose of being able to book flights online - but I'm told it might not be approved. Here's why:

I finished college in May of 2008, then worked solid until a few weeks ago (redundancies) and now am unemployed.

I have thousands of euro saved up. Why won't they just give me a damn credit card? I don't even want credit - I just want a card that can be used for purchases online.

Laser is very limited, in this regard, or so I hear.

Comments and help very much appreciated. Thank you.

Well it's quite simple why your bank won't give you a credit card. You're unemployed and have no ongoing means to repay same (bar savings which, the way the economy is going, you'll have burned through in no time). Then what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Booked my flights on the laser with aer lingus the other day.

For some reason you can only book flights from Dublin airport or a return flight that leave Dublin.
    Can't even book a single flight TO Dublin

You can book your hotel on 1800hotels.ie using laser cards also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

You can get a form of "prepaid credit card" for making online purchases from www.3v.ie which is offered by Permanent TSB and Visa.

Advertisement