Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Basket Plants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im trying some Fern roots out the front (in carolina) but its been 2-3 weeks and i havent seen any growth - im kinda worried i either broke the roots trying to plant them or I bought sh!tty roots. Blame walmart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

thos aldi ones are good value..if six in the pack.

Varieties include: Trailing Petunia, Surfinia, Lobellia, Nepeta, Polygonum, Lysimachia and more

Trailing petunia, and Lobelia are the most common plants for hanging baskets..

To have very nice hanging basket i would get two of those packs and maybe an ivy (cheap enough in most places) or two.

Make sure to keep it watered well as most baskets dry out really fast..

fox :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try adding water retaining gel to the compost - it is sold as a dry crystal and is mixed with water before being mixed with compost. Also use the largest basket you can get. This year I'm trying two baskets wired together to make a sphere. A small plant pot is placed upside down in the top basket before all the compost goes in. That will act as a resevoir for the watering.

Is 66c a plant good value? Surely you can get large trays of plug plants for hanging baskets cheaper than that at garden centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Thanks for all the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Minder wrote: »
    Is 66c a plant good value? Surely you can get large trays of plug plants for hanging baskets cheaper than that at garden centres?

I agree, I got 12 assorted lobelias in a plug-tray for €3.50 at my local garden centre the other day, much better value compared to Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Dodser

All of those plants will work in a hanging basket. Once you've made it up though don't hang it until at least the second week in May. (A lot of people will wait til the first week in June!) A cold night will set the basket back. I alway make it up and leave it in the shed for a couple of weeks until the plants get settled.

Advertisement