Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debranding Q

• 27-04-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

I am currently TRYING to debrand my c905, its currently on Orange UK firmware.
    Im doing it with the davinci team. If i choose generic UK firmware will that be ok for using it with Meteor Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would you not just do it yourself? I debranded my c905 and it only took about 45 minutes. Would have been less if I wasn't such an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's the phone and not the firmware that determines if it will work with your SIM. The phone needs to be unlocked and not debranded for it to work.

Debranding simply removes operator logos etc. It may also add / remove support for various features (like Skype or MSN on 3 or whatever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sorry forgot to say its unlocked!!!!

Cushion, what do you mean do it myself, how can i do it myself, excuse me btw im a complete noob with phone software!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As in download the software needed to debrand the phone. I'll try and find the guide I used. Give me a while.

Not the same guide but it looks more or less the same.
    This is an A2 Debrand Tutorial

Software Required:
    - A2uploader ( google search )
    - Sony Ericsson Update Service ( Comes with the phone CD, or download on SonyEricsson website )
    - Notepad ( Comes with Windows ... )

Recommended Step: (For Users with Phone Warranty)
    - You will need to identify your CDA to Debrand again your phone in case you need to take it to Warranty.
    - Turn Off your phone and remove the battery and put it again.
    - Connect the USB cable to the phone and Press C button.
    - Execute A2uploader on your computer, and press the identify button:

- Then plug in your USB cable to the computer, and should appear a text like this:

- Save that number on CDA-Article
    - Follow the next steps:

Step 1:
    - You need to switch your phone CDA to a Generic CDA, this makes SEUS to update to the debranded firmware.
    ( for people who want to restore the phone "Recommended Step", in cda number on xml, copy the one you got from A2uploader )

http://www.4shared.com/file/7[....]f30dbec/customize_upgrade.html

download the above file and unrar itas i have already made the file (which is for western europe uk) for you to use

AC EDIT: Ignore the above striked out. I'll post up my version of the file. This should work fine for you.

Open up notepad or wordpad and copy and paste the following into it.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
    <customization>
    <info>
      <model>C905</model> 
      <phone-name>C905</phone-name> 
      <cda-number>1209-4774</cda-number> 
      <language-variant-name>WESTERN-EUROPE</language-variant-name> 
      <created-by>bboyzahid and Jockep</created-by> 
      </info>
      </customization>

Save this as customize_upgrade.xml

Step 2:
    - Turn Off your phone and remove the battery and put it again.
    - Connect the USB cable to the phone and Press C button. Note: On some Sony Ericsson Models, you have to press 2+5 instead of C.***
    - Execute A2uploader and press the FileSystemTool button:

- Go to tpa/preset/custom directory and drag the customize_upgrade.xml to there (after copy, check if it is there):

- Press Stop button on A2uploader, and Quit

Step 3:
    - Turn on the phone, to (in other words) install the new CDA.
    - Turn off the phone

Step 4:
    - Execute Sony Ericsson Update Service, and press Start button:

- Choose your phone type and click continue: (In picture, im using SE C905 for example)

- Choose your phone model and click continue: (In picture, im using SE C905 for example)

- Follow the program instructions:

- Then will appear your new firmware type, and u press continue: (In picture, im using SE C905 for example, western europe firmware)

- It will pop-up a window for you to confirm, you have to press Yes twice:

- Now you have to w8, for the process to finish:

- Congrats ! You have debranded your Sony Ericsson, disconnect the USB cable from the phone, remove battery and put it again, and turn on the phone. Enjoy

***This is where I was an idiot. I assumed you pressed c on your computers keyboard not on the phone. That one kept me going for a while. :)

If you have any problems let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

the A2uploader software seems to trigger a vtirus alert, but is not a virus (Google this)

CDA codes are below, I used UK generic which ensures the phone defaults to English.
    http://www.myforum.lasyk.net/showpost.php?p=386827&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Hogzy,

Did you have any luck debranding your C905? I'm considering doing it to my phone soon and was looking for a few other opinions...

I got my phone with 3 a couple weeks ago, but noticed that a LOT of features are missing from the menus that should be in a SE C905 - I even compared it with a friend's C905 that is on o2, and he had all the functionality that you would expect as per the Sony Ericsson website. On mine, even basic features like "automatically connect to favourite WiFi networks when in range" has been removed so I have to constantly manually turn on the WiFi and connect whenever I get home, and then turn it off when I leave the house so it'll use GPS. Other features that we're removed are still there, but they're just greyed out and I can't use them.

I'm hoping that debranding the phone will fix these problems, and then I can just get all the settings for 3 from the SE website once again.

Let me know if you would recommend the debranding when you have a minute.

Cheers

fixxation wrote: »
    Hogzy,

Did you have any luck debranding your C905? I'm considering doing it to my phone soon and was looking for a few other opinions...

I got my phone with 3 a couple weeks ago, but noticed that a LOT of features are missing from the menus that should be in a SE C905 - I even compared it with a friend's C905 that is on o2, and he had all the functionality that you would expect as per the Sony Ericsson website. On mine, even basic features like "automatically connect to favourite WiFi networks when in range" has been removed so I have to constantly manually turn on the WiFi and connect whenever I get home, and then turn it off when I leave the house so it'll use GPS. Other features that we're removed are still there, but they're just greyed out and I can't use them.

I'm hoping that debranding the phone will fix these problems, and then I can just get all the settings for 3 from the SE website once again.

Let me know if you would recommend the debranding when you have a minute.

Cheers
    I definitely do it if I was you.

Advertisement