Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a few cat c questions

• 27-04-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello boards folks.
    Got a few questions re: the cat c test.
    Recently Ive been real pressed for time and somehow my cat c test managed to sneak up on me :rolleyes: (id previously postponed it), anyway i now find myself with about 2 weeks to the test and no real training.:eek:
    got the theory stuff behind me no probs, have my provisional etc.
    but where should i start? what would you do?
    ill probably go for it one way or the other, at the least i'll get to experience the test, not really expecting to pass.
    is it expensive to rent a truck and insurance for the day?
    whats the rough cost of getting a cat c?
    is the test very different from the cat b?
    what do they test you on?

maybe ill fluke it you never know.

or not.:D cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Waymaster

It costs around 200euro to rent a truck for a test with a pre test. tbh id postbone it again beause unless you have experience of driving a big vehicle. you are highly unlikely to pass it and more likely to crash it. You will probably be under massive pressure trying to cope in traffic conditions and the observation mirrors etc. is not the same as for cars. The test is in theory the same as a car test but your driving for about twice as long and it does not feel in anyway the same in my experience from lessons. Maybe if you crammed about 5 lessons into 2 weeks you might pass it but if your just planning on renting a truck and doing it then your chances are rather low.

Hill Start
    Reverse around 2 corners onside and offside
    Run down on the truck air tanks and how and when to drain them, colant, markings, height, unladen weight, g.v.w., lenght etc.
    The rest is on the form in the rules of the road. Observation, clearance , progress, road positioning etc.

One of the HGV instructors will be able to give you your chances when they reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr_H_Lecter

yeah not lookin too good eh :rolleyes: ill give a few schools a buzz see what they have to say. i remember having called up one place enquiring about a c1 but they advised skipping the c1 and just going for the full c.
    never really saw myself going for the full c.
    ill give it a shot anyway. but i hear you on the lessons, id rather not crash.

not in one of them things anyway.:eek:

Yeah I know what you mean. I was talking to people who wanted just the C1 but i've never heard of a driving school that caters for it. In my area that is. Its the same test as for the C but just in a smaller truck as far as I know with maybe slight differences. May as well go big if your going to do it!:)

Did the schools help you out? As a matter of intrest what time and day is your test??? Obviously 8am on a Saturday morning is a lot better than 9am on a monday morning:D Good luck with the test and let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

Sorry to hijack this thread but i have a question about getting a license.

I have a B license and am looking to get a C license do i need to do an eye test?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

You will need a medical report from a GP and have to sit a cat C theory test.
    Get the GP to mark off all the categories eg. C1, C, D1, D, EC1, EC, ED1, ED1 for 10 years, then if you do decide to go for any other categories within the next 10 years you wont need to bother going back for another medical report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

....when sitting a cat C theory test, does this mean that the 40 questions will come from the C section only? Or will there be 'general' questions from the B / car section also?

PS How did you get on Dr. H?

Advertisement