Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Iphone

Options
  • 27-04-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I have a 1st gen iPhone, jailbroke and unlocked using a pre pay 02 sim.

The version i got it with is 2.2, and i want to update it? itunes is asking me to do it?

If i do update it will i lose the unlocked and jailbreak? Or do you need to update it threw internet?

Any help on this would be great thx!

sorry if i posted in wrong section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

leek wrote: »
    I have a 1st gen iPhone, jailbroke and unlocked using a pre pay 02 sim.

The version i got it with is 2.2, and i want to update it? itunes is asking me to do it?

If i do update it will i lose the unlocked and jailbreak? Or do you need to update it threw internet?

Any help on this would be great thx!

sorry if i posted in wrong section

You should back up the phone first, then update it through iTunes. You will lose the unlock and jailbreak, so you will have to jailbreak and unlock them again.

You don't really have to update it if you don't want to, or are not comfortable with doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you let itunes update it to 2.2.1 you will not be able to unlock it again afterwards. There is a way to update to 2.2.1 without breaking the unlock but its more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Stephen wrote: »
    If you let itunes update it to 2.2.1 you will not be able to unlock it again afterwards. There is a way to update to 2.2.1 without breaking the unlock but its more complicated.

Ooops, that's correct. Sorry, I forgot about that "minor" issue. :o

Although, isn't there something about redsn0w that allows you to get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

You can unlock the 1st get on 2.2.1 - there was no baseband update.

If you update in iTunes, it will keep your unlock but you'll lose jailbreak (you can always re-jailbreak if you like).

Restoring in iTunes will remove both the unlock and JB. Again you can always unlock and re-JB the 1st gen.

The 3G is the model which can't be unlocked on 2.2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ That's right, my bad. I skimmed the first post and assumed it was a 3G :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

On the same topic, but with a another instance of the problem...my brother has a 1st gen iPhone bought in the States, jailbroken and unlocked firmware 1.1.2!!

He wasn't too bothered about the firmware and the lack of features (pagination, etc) until recently when the phone just kept crashing. He had to cold boot it just to get it back up and running and still within a few hours he would not be able to disable the keypad lock (everything just froze). Anyhoo he would love if he could upgrade it to a newer firmware, he doesn't really care what version as long as he can install apps and have pagination installed with much improved stability.

What can we do? We didn't unlock/jailbreak ourselves and are afraid in case we brick it. I have seen the likes of ZiPhone and these one click "save the world" type programs seem too good to be true. Is it a matter of letting iTunes upgrade the firmware and then running ZiPhone? How do you know if it works/does not work? How long should it take?

Advertisement