Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco 'Bag for Life'

Options
  • 27-04-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Remember hearing something a few years back about a Tesco Bag for Life. You know the big heavy duty ones that cost around €1.50. Someone told me that if they snap Tesco will replace it for free, is this true?
    Coz one of the straps is just dangling off and should pop any day now:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes, just bring it to customer services and they replace it afaik

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

not any more, they stopped this about a year ago afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think it had to be stopped because they are obliged to charge the bag levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kahless wrote: »
    I think it had to be stopped because they are obliged to charge the bag levy.
    I would say more likely since the bags are crap and were all falling to bits. The bag levy is only on plastic bags intended for shopping AFAIK, most of these bags for life are material, with maybe some plastic. e.g. if you buy a schoolbag with a plastic zip I doubt you pay the levy.

I have seen auld ones buying bin liners in tesco, putting them first on the conveyor belt, open them up and use them as shopping bags! stronger and cheaper than the crap they hand out. Obviously there is no levy or a pack of sandwich bags would cost a fortune.

Even if they are obliged they should foot the bill themselves for giving out crap quality bags "for life".

EDIT:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/waste-management-and-recycling/plastic_bag_environmental_levy
    The levy also does not apply to:

Smaller plastic bags that are used to store fresh meat, fish and poultry, both packaged and unpackaged.
    Bags for life costing more than 70 cent
    Bags supplied to intending passengers in airports and ports and passengers on board commercial aircraft and ships.
    Items sold in the secure 'duty free' zone of airports in Ireland. (This is irrespective of whether or not the goods are 'duty free'. Items sold in the departure/arrivals zones of the airport are not exempt.

I think it's the fabric ones the OP is talking about not the plastic ones, if so then I'm sure the rule still applies. That was certainly the case when all of those bags came out. You're even supposed to get extra points for using them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The extra points is in Britain as far as I know, remember the add with David Jason.

no don't remember that add!! you used to get points here - the amount depended on the type of bag you used!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

it's only 1.50, just buy a new one, if it lasted over a year than that's good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

rubadub wrote: »

I have seen auld ones buying bin liners in tesco, putting them first on the conveyor belt, open them up and use them as shopping bags! stronger and cheaper than the crap they hand out.

LOL at this image!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the ones that lidl do are 10 times better than the tesco's ones, and are the exact same price, maybe even maginally cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I worked there when the bag levy came in and the replacements of bags for life worked thusly:
    You paid the 15c, but not the price of purchasing the bags themselves.

Then they stopped printing 'bag for life' on them, and only allowed replacements of the bags that still said 'bag for life'.
    I can only assume people whinging about the 15c and / or staff letting customers away without paying the 15c (and the subsequent cost to Tesco of paying the Revenue the bag levy) is what changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I worked there when the bag levy came in and the replacements of bags for life worked thusly:
    You paid the 15c, but not the price of purchasing the bags themselves.
    Thats strange, it could be technically called a faulty product. If I buy a faulty electrical item in tesco I would not expect to have to pay the VAT and WEEE charges again when getting a replacement. I would have thought the bags would be exempt in the same way.

This is a good bag for life, made by a company that makes equipment for strongman events, but pricey!
    "500-pound payload":eek:
    http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1408

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

No, the bags were never sold on the assumption that they'd last forever, just that by buying one now you could use it until it wore out, then they'd replace it with a fresh one for no additional cost.

Whatever about them backtracking on that part of it, nobody expected to pay 13c and have an indestructable bag for ever more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they were exempt from the bag tax and tesco agreed to replace them as they wore out but then phased out the replacing of them and then stopped supplying those particular bags altogether, going instead with the longer lasting tougher black sauare tesco shopping bags which cost €1.

Advertisement