Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Laptop Shop

Options
  • 27-04-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I went into the laptop shop in Stephen's Green last Saturday to enquire about the price of netbooks. I couldn't believe the prices they were charging compared to other places.

420 for the Samsung NC10
    300 for the 7" EEE pc

I was expecting them maybe to charge 380 for the samsung, but 420.

Total and utter rip off.

I spoke to the manager and told him that he was charing customers too much. I informed him that I will not buy there and will inform anyone else not to buy there. Until he became realistic about his prices.
    Elara are charging just over 170 for the same model including collection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

swingking wrote: »
    I went into the laptop shop in Stephen's Green last Saturday to enquire about the price of netbooks. I couldn't believe the prices they were charging compared to other places.

420 for the Samsung NC10
    300 for the 7" EEE pc

Total and utter rip off.

I spoke to the manager and told him that he was charing customers too much. I informed him that I will not buy there and will inform anyone else not to buy there. Until he became realistic about his prices.

what did the manager have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

manager told me that his prices are decided by the prices of his wholesaler. He wasn't willing to do me any discount and just told me there was nothing he could do on the price.

He said he wouldn't match any internet prices cause it doesn't take into account any of the delivery costs even though you can collect from Elara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,047 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should get a better wholesaler. The one they use is probably selling them for the same price that Elara sells them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They should get a better wholesaler. The one they use is probably selling them for the same price that Elara sells them for.

Maybe they should get a better manager. Retail prices of non food items always have a "haggle factor" built in.

Or - if the guy had a little bit of cop on/intelligence - he would have asked the OP for contact details and have a word with wholesaler to see if anything could be done regarding price for OP.

Manager guy!!! :mad: - a flat no = FCUK OFF, we don't care about customers unless they are willing to pay the price we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I'm ordering the new 10" asus net book from misco www.misco.ie - seems everyone in the US is raving about it and haven't seen a single bad review.

Price on misco is about €320 + vat which surprisingly is very close to the US retail price of $399 + sales tax.
    http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~Q164887~WW~/ASUS%20EPC1000HE-BLK019X%2C%20Atom%201.66GHz%2C%20XP%20Home%2C%2010.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,047 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dh0661 wrote: »
    Maybe they should get a better manager. Retail prices of non food items always have a "haggle factor" built in.

Or - if the guy had a little bit of cop on/intelligence - he would have asked the OP for contact details and have a word with wholesaler to see if anything could be done regarding price for OP.

Manager guy!!! :mad: - a flat no = FCUK OFF, we don't care about customers unless they are willing to pay the price we want.

I've seen some wholesale prices about 20 miles away from your neck of the woods, when I told a computer shop owner that I would buy from him if he could get close to the price I pay the likes of Komplett. He produced his wholesaler's price-list and it showed that he was paying his wholesaler more than I was paying Komplett.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭noelma

For a few years now Amazon have not been willing to sell electronics into Ireland because of problems with the weee (or whatever its called!) battery directive thing.
    Apparently that is now changed!!
    So check out their prices - I bought a Samsung NC10 from them last month for £313 including delivery to Scotland (before I heard they are shipping to Ireland!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

In fairness the rent and other overheads on the premises in Stephen's Green would be quite substantial. Anyway, I don't see why people complain about the prices in the shops versus the prices on the net. Just buy it on the net. It's much less hassle, it's easier to do comparisons and you don't have to talk to some muppet who doesn't know the first thing about computers.

Edit: sorry just noticed this is the Rip Off Ireland thread. Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

noelma wrote: »
    For a few years now Amazon have not been willing to sell electronics into Ireland because of problems with the weee (or whatever its called!) battery directive thing.
    Apparently that is now changed!!
    So check out their prices - I bought a Samsung NC10 from them last month for £313 including delivery to Scotland (before I heard they are shipping to Ireland!)

I agree. Looked at that Misco.ie price on the Asus 1000HE and the price works out about 50Euros more expensive than on Amazon even taking the exchange rate VAT & Delivery charges into account. I was quite surprised at the prices on Amazon lately. They're even cheaper than some of the prices on other dedicated online electrical stores.

My advice: to get a really good price on a product - get the exact product code and type it into google.ie (tick Ireland only) and you'll always find the best price on the first search page. Then at checkout find out if they have a discount code box and do another google search for a discount code for that retailer. Worked for me many times.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

waraf wrote: »
    In fairness the rent and other overheads on the premises in Stephen's Green would be quite substantial. Anyway, I don't see why people complain about the prices in the shops versus the prices on the net. Just buy it on the net. It's much less hassle, it's easier to do comparisons and you don't have to talk to some muppet who doesn't know the first thing about computers.

Edit: sorry just noticed this is the Rip Off Ireland thread. Carry on...

That business should pack up shop, leave St Stephens Green and start selling online. That's the way the cookie crumbles these days. Either get with the times or you're ****ed.

Consumers shouldn't have to subsidise a business' rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Take a daytrip to Belfast or Newry. Currys website or PC World UK will probably bag you a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

pontovic wrote: »
    That business should pack up shop, leave St Stephens Green and start selling online. That's the way the cookie crumbles these days. Either get with the times or you're ****ed.

Wow, what an odd way to look at things....
    Sure If everyone thought like that we could say close every single shop in the country and have them open online only, cheaper prices and all that.

Guess what?

Not everybody likes buying a laptop or any other expensive good for 350+ without even trying it out in person, you mightn't mind but a LOT of people would pay the small premium to get a chance to see and test their laptop in 1st person before buying, not to mention its alot hassle if you need to use the 1 year warranty.

Elara/Komplett/Dabs etc can lower their prices to a much lower extent than a bricks and mortar because their overhead is so little compared to a bricks and mortar store selling something with a low stock turnover like laptops.

You can rant off as much as you like about how they have "horrible customer service" because he couldn't reduce his price for you, You don't like the price? Buy online then. He is not going to cut his margin to the point he is making a loss just to satisfy you.

Bricks and Mortar for those who want to test out their product before buying and want peace of mind when it comes to warranty

Internet for price-conscious

Its not a rip-off if you look at it carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Always shop around and you will find for a number of years that you get better prices with web retailers.

As regards the manager it is no surprise.
    One of the radio business programs over the weekend did survey of how god customer service or sales staff were in the Dundrum centre and they found all but one (Paul Sherrins Jewellers) appalling.
    Staff didn't engage, didn't ask questions, didn't try and actually sell.

Irish sales staff, especially the younger ones, have no clue how to engage and sell. They have had it easy for well over 10 years and now they can't cope.
    As a little anecdote, a number of years ago on a saturday around lunch time went into well known main Peugoet dealer with two friends who wanted to spend equivalent of about 60 grand in today's money.
    The young guy was just interested in closing up and was not alone disinterested, but also condescending in his attitude.
    The propsective buyers left (actually we were ushered out) and they bought elsewhere.
    That was not just two immediate car sales gone, it was possibly continuing car sales over a number of years. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Wow, what an odd way to look at things....
    Sure If everyone thought like that we could say close every single shop in the country and have them open online only, cheaper prices and all that.

Guess what?

Not everybody likes buying a laptop or any other expensive good for 350+ without even trying it out in person, you mightn't mind but a LOT of people would pay the small premium to get a chance to see and test their laptop in 1st person before buying, not to mention its alot hassle if you need to use the 1 year warranty.

Elara/Komplett/Dabs etc can lower their prices to a much lower extent than a bricks and mortar because their overhead is so little compared to a bricks and mortar store selling something with a low stock turnover like laptops.

You can rant off as much as you like about how they have "horrible customer service" because he couldn't reduce his price for you, You don't like the price? Buy online then. He is not going to cut his margin to the point he is making a loss just to satisfy you.

Bricks and Mortar for those who want to test out their product before buying and want peace of mind when it comes to warranty

Internet for price-conscious

Its not a rip-off if you look at it carefully

+ 1 Why don't we close down every shop in the country then, maybe even every country then...:rolleyes:
    There are benefits to buying in a shop With delivery etc there's not always too much difference in price and if anything goes wrong with the product you can just bring it in and get it replaced....... buy online if you're upset about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Someone failed their junior cert business studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

swingking wrote: »

420 for the Samsung NC10
    300 for the 7" EEE pc

Total and utter rip off.

You can get a samsung NC10 for €299 in Dundalk at CDiscount
    Eee PC 701SD at Cdiscount for €170

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kaz_corcoran

I bought a laptop here yesterday, and managed to get a free laptop bag out of them worth 25 quid, which was great. Only to discover when I brought it home that there was no built in web cam, despite the ad in the window, the sticker on the computer and the instruction book. After a phone call to them in which the guy we had dealt with just was very confused and said that yeahh...they just came in with no cameras on them but ill check... and then agreed to give us a separate webcam to compensate. Which we accepted, and went in to collect it today; only to be given out to and told that we never gave him a chance to explain that no camera came on it. Even though I asked him yesterday for the tech specs, and which was better, and why etc.. he failed to mention that they'd actually falsely advertised the computer. I'm so annoyed with them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What an incredibly stupid and out of touch post.

Close down all the shops?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This post has been deleted.

Whats their web address ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Whats their web address ???

Their website is not active any longer

http://www.thelaptopshop.ie/

You can check them out on the facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-LaptopShop-Ltd/134961364135?sk=info