Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v Leinster - pre/during/post thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Munster (I'm a Leinster supporter)
    Think I'd prefer Leicester. I know they've far more experience at the sharp end of tournaments than Cardiff, but Cardiff look really dangerous at the moment and are on a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Leinster (I'm a Leinster supporter)
    But if Leicester win today and make the GP final they'll have 4 straight weeks of knockout rugby. They won't be able to rest key players like Leinster or Cardiff will.

Good point, I'd still prefer Cardiff though. Tbh, if Leinster replicate yesterdays performance It'll be irrelevant, plus geordie murphy'll have the inside track on all the Leinstermen...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I was disappointed by Munster support yesterday. With about 10 - 15 mins left in the game there was a flood of red jerseys leaving the stadium. Munster supporters are touted as the most loyal, passionate etc. and I think that was disproven yesterday.

Respect to the lads behind me who said they were staying to clap them off the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

toomevara wrote: »
    From a Leinster viewpoint, who would you prefer to face in the final...Leicester or Cardiff?

Cardiff.... but again I'll reserve judgement until this afternoon :D

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    I was disappointed by Munster support yesterday. With about 10 - 15 mins left in the game there was a flood of red jerseys leaving the stadium. Munster supporters are touted as the most loyal, passionate etc. and I think that was disproven yesterday.

Respect to the lads behind me who said they were staying to clap them off the field.

Some of the Munster folks around me started leaving with a couple of minutes to go when the match was well and truly decided; probably to beat the crowds. I didn't see anyone leaving with 10-15 minutes to go though. To be fair, Munster supporters showed up in huge numbers yesterday so all credit to them.

If a small minority of fairweather Munster supporters have decided to leave the Red Army on the back of yesterdays defeat, maybe it's a good thing for Munster rugby as a whole. Now if only us Leinster folk could get rid of those screaming D4 bitches that were sitting behind me yesterday, screaming the word 'go' punctuated by the Leinster players first name every time someone got their hands on the ball. "GO ISA". Yeah, well done love. You know the players name. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Whats wrong with cheering on the player with the ball? :confused: Thats what I do....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

NickNolte wrote: »
    Some of the Munster folks around me started leaving with a couple of minutes to go when the match was well and truly decided; probably to beat the crowds. I didn't see anyone leaving with 10-15 minutes to go though. To be fair, Munster supporters showed up in huge numbers yesterday so all credit to them.

With about 15 mins to go there was definitely a trickle of people leaving and by about 10 mins it was a flood. I was in Cusack so it might have been different elsewhere.

With about 15 mins to go there was definitely a trickle of people leaving and by about 10 mins it was a flood. I was in Cusack so it might have been different elsewhere.

Fair enough. I was in Cusack Upper and didn't see it but we could have been sitting at different parts of the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'd prefer Leicester on the basis that we would have more respect for them than any welsh team...rightly or wrongly. we play welsh teams week in and week out and tend to beat them but Leicester have kicked our arses a number of times over the years so I feel there would be a remoter chance of complacency. not sure if that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

is there anywhere i can watch a rerun of this match?!? i missed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

There is a european rugby special on sky sports 3 at 9:15 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

...Now if only us Leinster folk could get rid of those screaming D4 bitches that were sitting behind me yesterday, screaming the word 'go' punctuated by the Leinster players first name every time someone got their hands on the ball. "GO ISA". Yeah, well done love. You know the players name. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

How dare they enjoy the game .. i know i was doing a fair bit of shouting yesterday as well .. and also my misses (who is a loyal Leinster supporter for years). Do you really think people were there to impress you or anyone else ???

I thought after yesterday these stereotypes would be gone ... but it appears im mistakin, as the little jibes continue to get posted about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

bring O driscoll and Elsom to munster and they would rule european rugby for the next 5 years... Once again Drico played out of his socks as did elsom ..... Fair dues to leinster .... oh and by the way ......

Dont lose the final or else......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Leinster (I'm a Munster supporter)
    Now if only us Leinster folk could get rid of those screaming D4 bitches that were sitting behind me yesterday, screaming the word 'go' punctuated by the Leinster players first name every time someone got their hands on the ball. "GO ISA". Yeah, well done love. You know the players name. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

You can't be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

It was the same in the Davin Lower stand. The Munster fans started to leave with 15 minutes to go but in fairness some of them may have had a long way to get home.

Watched the game when I got in last night and while I was delighted with the way Leinster to a man stepped up to the plate yesterday I still cannot understand how Munster played so bad. I've never seen so many simple passes knocked on.

Anyone notice Sexton screaming into O'Gara's face when Darcy got across the line for the first try? Some may say its a sign of passion etc. but its not needed IMO.

The LB should move heaven and earth to hold onto Elsom. The man is superhuman and his efforts inspire the rest of the Leinster pack. Well done Leinster and that's the 'Ladyboy' label firmly put to bed.

smog wrote: »
    How dare they enjoy the game .. i know i was doing a fair bit of shouting yesterday as well

Yeah, me too. Thankfully though you weren't screeching at the top of your shrill voice into my ear, impeding my enjoyment of the game. Unfortunately for me, I had someone else doing that.
    .. and also my misses (who is a loyal Leinster supporter for years). Do you really think people were there to impress you or anyone else ???

No... but the really annoying, shrill ones that won't shut the hell up should at least not ruin other people's enjoyment of the game. It has nothing to do with stereotypes and more to do with manners.

And yes... a lot of the D4 stereotypes that go to Leinster games seem to be there to impress other people. I had to listen to some young know-it-all fellow with a Dort accent behind me give a running commentary during a Leinster v Ulster match a few years ago. It was one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced in my entire life.
    I thought after yesterday these stereotypes would be gone ... but it appears im mistakin, as the little jibes continue to get posted about here.

Ah wind your neck in... 1) I support Leinster. 2) The 'D4 stererotype' does exist. I've had to suffer it on a number of occasions. Yesterday being an example. Thankfully it's not representative of the majority of Leinster supporters but to say that it doesn't exist is just denial. It's a stereotype and it should never be used to paint a picture of certain supporters as a whole (which is what you should be annoyed at) but it does exist to a degree.

I am really sick of reading and hearing about how Munster didn't turn up. Everything that anyone says after that is such a back handed compliment.

"Munster didn't turn up today. Not taking away from Leinster but Munster were very poor and really weren't in the game."

Just say what ye mean will ya?

"Leinster won, but I can't accept that they are a better team than Munster."

To be totally honest Munster might well be a better team than Leinster, but great teams turn up in big games. Leinster fought for every single thing they got yesterday and never let Munster play. Everyone I know from Munster was jibing me about Contempomi and how he can be got at mentally but O'Gara knocking that ball on late in the game and the total non-entity that was Warwick show that any player can be got at.

The one other thing I would say is about the Munster bandwagon that so many of their supporters here seem to bemoan.

The only reason that Thomond Park exists in its current state is because of that bandwagon. Ye got the roses from it and yesterday you got the thorn when the fairweather fans went missing and the famous Munster ability to get tickets for games was shown to be the ability of the bandwagon to get them. I lived in Cork for a few years and spent a lot of time in Musgrave Park and the changes there over the last few years have sickened me, and in Leinster too, as regards respect for the kicker. Maybe the bandwagon will get a little less crowded after yesterday but don't forget that Munster benefited greatly from that bandwagon up until now, you cannot have your cake and eat it.

So, to wrap up my original point, I really wish people would stop undermining Leinster's performance by subtly suggesting that had Munster played better that Leinster would have lost. The day belonged to Leinster. Munster have been magnificent champions and no doubt will be again but maybe, finally, the chance is Leinster's to rule the roost.

danthefan wrote: »
    You can't be serious.

I am very serious. I wish there were no obnoxious, annoying idiots that insist on annoying me when I go to see Leinster play. But hey, that's just life, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

To Jackass and in the witness of all the users of the rugby forum on Boards.ie:

I admit, Leinster are the greatest side in Ireland. They showed Munster who the real ladyboys are. I am going to go cry now.

I admit, Leinster are the greatest side in Ireland and Europe - they toyed with us this season and then buried us when it matters - I won't actually cry cause we're all just bandwagon fans anyway - so it's off to Leinster next season - COME ON LEINSTER!!!

:(:(:(:(:(:(

:D Fair play dude!! Aw what a match!! I can't even speak today my voice is completely gone, but what a feckin day!! The reversal of 2006 in so many ways!! We haven't won anything yet, but a lot of friends of mine are Munster fans and i think it's fair to say they were SHELL SHOCKED after the game, it was like talking to completely different people before and after - the arrogance had deserted them and they were actually very gracious in defeat, fait play to them.

This counts for nothing though unless we win in Edinburgh and we will have finaly put ALL of our critics to bed and moved out of the Munster shadow - scratch that - we'll have pushed them out of the way and taken their limelight for a little while. If we were every going to win it and get the respect we deserve from other fans and the media doing something like this to Munster along the way was always required so that 2006 was no longer a stick to beat us with.

Well done to all the Leinster fans who outsang and out cheered the brave and faitfull red army who stood up and fought (their way out of the gates with 15 minutes to play :D). I'm not sure I heard one rendition of "The Fields" but heard endless Leinster songs and chants (being in the hill) - how did the crowd noise come accross on the telly anyone?

Well done Thomond for keeping your side of the bet - every dog has his day and Munster will have theirs again, but I just really hope for all of our sakes that this can now be Leinsters year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I am very serious. I wish there were no obnoxious, annoying idiots that insist on annoying me when I go to see Leinster play. But hey, that's just life, isn't it?

Obnoxious because they were screaming for their team to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm not sure I heard one rendition of "The Fields"...

I heard one attempt start up about 15 minutes in but it only lasted about 15 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Leinster (I'm a Munster supporter)
    madds wrote: »
    I heard one attempt start up about 15 minutes in but it only lasted about 15 seconds.

A group of Munster people behind me did start singing the fields at one point, they were quickly quashed by the Leinster lads in front of us who started chanting "Athenry's in Connacht"

fair point!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Yeah, me too. Thankfully though you weren't screeching at the top of your shrill voice into my ear, impeding my enjoyment of the game. Unfortunately for me, I had someone else doing that.

No... but the really annoying, shrill ones that won't shut the hell up should at least not ruin other people's enjoyment of the game. It has nothing to do with stereotypes and more to do with manners.

And yes... a lot of the D4 stereotypes that go to Leinster games seem to be there to impress other people. I had to listen to some young know-it-all fellow with a Dort accent behind me give a running commentary during a Leinster v Ulster match a few years ago. It was one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced in my entire life.

Ah wind your neck in... 1) I support Leinster. 2) The 'D4 stererotype' does exist. I've had to suffer it on a number of occasions. Yesterday being an example. Thankfully it's not representative of the majority of Leinster supporters but to say that it doesn't exist is just denial. It's a stereotype and it should never be used to paint a picture of certain supporters as a whole (which is what you should be annoyed at) but it does exist to a degree.

People from Dublin 4 are from Leinster too y'know.

We're allowed support our province.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Well won Leinster, we have no excuses after yesterday. Hope ye go and beat Leicester and make it a really great year for Irish rugby.

Munster Supporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

For those who were at the match or those who just want to relive the moments - here are the trys (courtesy of dave cahill, Leinsterfans.com)

D'Arcy sets the tone:

Fitz burns Warwick:

O'Driscoll puts iceing on cake:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Now if only us Leinster folk could get rid of those screaming D4 bitches that were sitting behind me yesterday, screaming the word 'go' punctuated by the Leinster players first name every time someone got their hands on the ball. "GO ISA". Yeah, well done love. You know the players name. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:
    you weren't screeching at the top of your shrill voice into my ear, impeding my enjoyment of the game. Unfortunately for me, I had someone else doing that.

the really annoying, shrill ones that won't shut the hell up should at least not ruin other people's enjoyment of the game. It has nothing to do with stereotypes and more to do with manners.

I had to listen to some young know-it-all fellow with a Dort accent behind me give a running commentary during a Leinster v Ulster match a few years ago. It was one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced in my entire life.
    I am very serious. I wish there were no obnoxious, annoying idiots that insist on annoying me when I go to see Leinster play.

Jesus mate, watch it at home with the tv muted if it bothers you that much. People scream at rugby matches; women have higher-pitched voices than men. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

[Jackass] wrote: »
    :D Fair play dude!! Aw what a match!! I can't even speak today my voice is completely gone, but what a feckin day!! The reversal of 2006 in so many ways!! We haven't won anything yet, but a lot of friends of mine are Munster fans and i think it's fair to say they were SHELL SHOCKED after the game, it was like talking to completely different people before and after - the arrogance had deserted them and they were actually very gracious in defeat, fait play to them.

This counts for nothing though unless we win in Edinburgh and we will have finaly put ALL of our critics to bed and moved out of the Munster shadow - scratch that - we'll have pushed them out of the way and taken their limelight for a little while. If we were every going to win it and get the respect we deserve from other fans and the media doing something like this to Munster along the way was always required so that 2006 was no longer a stick to beat us with.

Well done to all the Leinster fans who outsang and out cheered the brave and faitfull red army who stood up and fought (their way out of the gates with 15 minutes to play :D). I'm not sure I heard one rendition of "The Fields" but heard endless Leinster songs and chants (being in the hill) - how did the crowd noise come accross on the telly anyone?

Well done Thomond for keeping your side of the bet - every dog has his day and Munster will have theirs again, but I just really hope for all of our sakes that this can now be Leinsters year :)

My first post since coming home from the match.

Jackass, Leinster deserved their win and whatever happens at the final, this must be another major step for Leinster rugby, you've beaten the current champions and won a dogged QF, you fully deserve your spot in the final, yes of course the purists will say you've won nothing yet and it took Munster three gos at the final to win one, hopefully you wont need to wait as long.

Prior to my departure for the trip to Dublin I started a "Good Luck" thread and in that I said whatever happed on the day would be good for Irish Rugby and Leinster going on to win the trophy would now be the icing on the cake.

The Grand Slam & 6Ns trophy, the Triple Crown, the ML and hopefully the H/C won by Irish teams in the same season :D

People from Dublin 4 are from Leinster too y'know.

We're allowed support our province.

I know. Do it and enjoy it. No matter what part of Leinster (or elsewhere) you happen to be from. Could do without the odd obnoxious idiot though (again, regardless of where they're from). That's pretty much all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

different things annoy different people...my own pet peeve are the ****ers who go to the bar/toilet 20 times a match, forcing me to stand to let them in and out each time and interrupting my enjoyment of the match

Advertisement