Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v Leinster - pre/during/post thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster (I'm a Leinster supporter)
    NickNolte wrote: »
    I've put Myopic Boring thomond2006 on my ignore list. €140 if you all stop quoting him so I don't have to read that drivvel.

*sigh*, you guys are cruel. :D:D

You're probably right, can't say how I feel with loads of w**kers ready to pounce.

Glad to see Juvenal's post got a lot of thanks, too ****ing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster (I'm a Munster supporter)
    juvenal wrote: »
    The thing is that despite what most members here would like to see in a Leinster starting XV, it's highly unlikely that Cheika will make the radical selections that have been discussed.

As someone pointed out recently, a HEC semi-final is not the place to be experimenting with your line-up, and it's a very valid point. The season is eight months old now, and there's no excuses for not having a clear tactical plan and a balanced, in-form unit to execute it.

The problem seems to be though that after 8 months of experimenting Cheika still doesn't know what his best backline and indeed best backline formation is. He has played backs out of position all season so maybe this time he will play them in position which would easily allow for either Nacewa or Fitz at fullback with shaggy in to start or even as i would prefer to see, Contepomi at 12 Darcy on the wing with Fitz on the other and Nacewa at FB with Sexton staring at ten and actually attack Munster from the word go. Which if we win as much primary posetion as we did against Munster in the Magners would be quite possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Munster are being touted as awesome after making sh!t of a rudderless Ospreys side. Personally I feel that while they are decent in attack, they could be a completely different team on the back foot. A few big hits from Heaslip, Elsom etc resulting in turnovers could really affect Munster in this way.

I think this is the way Leinster have to approach the game - get in their faces from the off.

just my 2 cents.

yes munster did beat down a not great ospreys team however it should also be noted that leinster did make quite hard work to get past harlequins who at times looked like they'd never been in possession of a rugby ball.

Leinster can bring their big hits but barring they bring a bulldozer i cant see them gettin through this munster side on what will be the second biggest day in irish rugby this year. Munster love the big day as we know.

I'm fully confident munster will be exceptional on saturday, on top of that i must questions leinsters mentality should they keep possession for a long time then concede due to munsters capability to just get up the field and score after soaking up pressure for an age.

Not to come across like i'm Leinster bashing which i have on different threads but i really feel this saturday munster will be too much for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Munster (I'm a Leinster supporter)
    Iang87 wrote: »
    yes munster did beat down a not great ospreys team however it should also be noted that leinster did make quite hard work to get past harlequins who at times looked like they'd never been in possession of a rugby ball.

Another way to put it would be that Munster beat an Ospreys team that have been rubbish all season and Leinster beat arguably the best team in the GP who were firing on all cylinders for most of the season until they met Leinster.

I'd agree with you that Munster should win this but if you're basing it on the last two HC matches, try not too look too shocked if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

I believe whether Leinster can win or not rests solely on whether Cheika starts Sexton or not. We all saw how the Leinster backline transformed following his introduction at the weekend and he strikes me as a player who certainly not be phased by the big occassions either. I think Munster will 100% win without Sexton at outhalf however should Sexton start I can see things being a hell of a lot closer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Being an avid follower and seldom poster on boards, I believe that this forum is at its best when we get honest, measured opinions about the topic. When dealing with sport, and for me personally, rugby, emotions can run high. Reading posts about this forthcoming semi-final, I have been delighted so far to read intelligent and worthy posts from both munster and leinster fans with regards to saturdays clash.
    AND THEN WE GET THE IDIOTS!!!
    cliche'd mastercard jibes are not helpful and the knacker soccer fan mentality is not what we need in the ever expanding fanbase of modern rugby.
    I am not just pointing my finger at this post but it is a prime example and it always seems to be the same people!!!
    One needs to ask what these comments add to the discussion?!!
    I for one am a leinster fan and will no doubt be horse from shouting from my seat in the gods of the hogan stand come saturday, but should we lose I will support Munster and hope the heineken cup stays in Ireland.
    Once the bitter disappointment wears off that is:o
    So less of the chidish one-up-man-ship and more of actual rugby punditry if you please.

Back on topic, I agree that sexton needs to start at 10 but I can't remember the last time nacewa played full back for Leinster.
    If contepomi doesn't implode again and manages to break out of his funk we'll have a much better chance. The outcome of the game could well be in his head!
    The first ten minutes will speak volumes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

NickNolte wrote: »
    Another way to put it would be that Munster beat an Ospreys team that have been rubbish all season and Leinster beat arguably the best team in the GP who were firing on all cylinders for most of the season until they met Leinster.

I'd agree with you that Munster should win this but if you're basing it on the last two HC matches, try not too look too shocked if they don't.

Beating Quins in the Stoop is a good win, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 roryok

On saturday i will be praying, shouting, screaming and cheering for a leinster win. Not sure if we will do it though. Kearney is a loss no doubt, but even with him it is the mental aspect that needs to be spot on if we are to stand a chance. A local derby has never really been easy to call for this reason (look at some of the other interpro results this year for proof). i just hope we play to our best. 2006 was such a let-down

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Saying 'Munster will win' or 'Munster won't win' is completely pointless. The game will unfold before our eyes, and one team will come out victorious. We all know Munster have a better chance of winning, all things being equal they're the better side, but Leinster do have a chance, and hopefully they'll be able to take it. I'd love to see Sexton and O'Brien start, but it ain't going to happen - if Leinster are still in the match after 55 minutes, expect to see the two of them appear. Sexton has frequently had his best days coming off the bench, so there's a strong argument for keeping it that way.

The injuries are both unfortunate, but both teams are fortunate in that they can call on very high class replacements in each position: Strings and Dempsey will both be absolutely fine.

And I can't believe someone has lowered themselves to the Mastercard joke... we can do better, people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Orizio wrote: »
    Prediction:

Munster 15 Leinster 9

I think there will be a few tries Munster by 10 points 2 tries to 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Munster are being touted as awesome after making sh!t of a rudderless Ospreys side. Personally I feel that while they are decent in attack, they could be a completely different team on the back foot. A few big hits from Heaslip, Elsom etc resulting in turnovers could really affect Munster in this way.

I think this is the way Leinster have to approach the game - get in their faces from the off.

just my 2 cents.

who are they going to put the hits on??.. stringer?.. Leinster will have enough trouble trying to contain the munster hitters and rog and howlett... last time i checked munster were a complete team.. ie Awesome.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

If the poll shows anything regarding attitudes its that people let support for their team cloud their judgment. A big majority of both Munster and Leinster teams expect their team to win. This is not logical imo as Munster would appear to be a far more accomplished side at the moment (leaving all provinical bs aside). I wouldn't dismiss the Leinster challenge, but Munster should have too much for Leinster unless they really don't perform like they have been doing or Leinster play much better than they have been or both.

That neutrals swing about 3:1 expecting Munster to win is pretty much in line with what i would expect based on the current form of both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

twinytwo wrote: »
    who are they going to put the hits on??.. stringer?.. Leinster will have enough trouble trying to contain the munster hitters and rog and howlett... last time i checked munster were a complete team.. ie Awesome.:pac:

I dunno? Anyone from 1 to 15 perhaps? And maybe, shock horror, Munster may do the same and we'll have a game of rugby on our hands.

twinytwo wrote: »

What in the world does the bolded bit mean? ROG contains himself perfectly well anyway.

I never knew Munster players were impervious to being tackled anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Chefdf

I believe whether Leinster can win or not rests solely on whether Cheika starts Sexton or not. We all saw how the Leinster backline transformed following his introduction at the weekend and he strikes me as a player who certainly not be phased by the big occassions either. I think Munster will 100% win without Sexton at outhalf however should Sexton start I can see things being a hell of a lot closer

Realistically the only way leinster can win is if munster dont turn up. Sexton wont make a difference. If munster play to their potential, like against ospreys, they will win. No question. However with 8 of the team on the lions panel and added to that o learys injury im very worried that they will have one eye on the tour and might keep back a little in the game. There is no doubt the lions tour will be the focal point of their year. After seeing what happened to tomas they'll surely be thinking i dont want that to happen to me. I Just hope im worng.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

juvenal wrote: »
    The thing is that despite what most members here would like to see in a Leinster starting XV, it's highly unlikely that Cheika will make the radical selections that have been discussed.

As someone pointed out recently, a HEC semi-final is not the place to be experimenting with your line-up, and it's a very valid point. The season is eight months old now, and there's no excuses for not having a clear tactical plan and a balanced, in-form unit to execute it.

I dunno about that, look at what Deccy did last year with throwing Hurley in a the deep end, starting Buckley, then whipping him off when he needed to..

I think if you know your team and their strengths you believe in them and give them the job do to, I think this chopping, swapping and general out of position play from cheika this season has been a major factor in their misfiring season. And I know someone will say they are here in a s/f of HCup, but they've not been up to their own standards bar the one off appearance of a rugby playing team in the home game against wasps !

Chefdf wrote: »
    Realistically the only way leinster can win is if munster dont turn up. Sexton wont make a difference. If munster play to their potential, like against ospreys, they will win. No question. However with 8 of the team on the lions panel and added to that o learys injury im very worried that they will have one eye on the tour and might keep back a little in the game. There is no doubt the lions tour will be the focal point of their year. After seeing what happened to tomas they'll surely be thinking i dont want that to happen to me. I Just hope im worng.

And the Leinster players on the Lions wouldn't be subject to those same pressures :pac: sounds like your making excuses in advance really. I would be the first to admit that Munsters form has been awesome in the last few matches but at the same time there is not that much between the two teams in ability and if both play to their potential we will have a cracking match on our hands but there will be no definite winner!
    Junior wrote: »
    I dunno about that, look at what Deccy did last year with throwing Hurley in a the deep end, starting Buckley, then whipping him off when he needed to..

I think if you know your team and their strengths you believe in them and give them the job do to, I think this chopping, swapping and general out of position play from cheika this season has been a major factor in their misfiring season. And I know someone will say they are here in a s/f of HCup, but they've not been up to their own standards bar the one off appearance of a rugby playing team in the home game against wasps !

I don't think too many Leinster supporters would disagree with that assesment, much as it has been great to see our pack come on in leaps and bounds and our defence solidify to the consistency of steel at times we have defenitely compromised our attacking flair in doing so. The thing is sooner or later the attacking portion of the play will click into place and and I'm hoping that will be on Saturday and if it does it will take a supreme effort by Munster to stand up to it.

More likely than not this game will come down to very small things like an off-load in the tackle going to hand or not a slightly forward pass being pulled or being got away with that IMO is how little a difference there is between the two teams even though if you had to take a bet it would be Munster on current form but only by a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If the poll shows anything regarding attitudes its that people let support for their team cloud their judgment. A big majority of both Munster and Leinster teams expect their team to win. This is not logical imo as Munster would appear to be a far more accomplished side at the moment (leaving all provinical bs aside). I wouldn't dismiss the Leinster challenge, but Munster should have too much for Leinster unless they really don't perform like they have been doing or Leinster play much better than they have been or both.

That neutrals swing about 3:1 expecting Munster to win is pretty much in line with what i would expect based on the current form of both teams.
    Head says one thing heart says another. ;)

Have you ever seen Leinster play to their full potential? Saying if Munster play as well as they can they'll definitely win is silly. Munster are favourites, they're not certainties.

Moreover, I doubt they give a fúck about the Lions right now. This matters more to Irish players than the Lions I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

the munster team is settled, we all know what the matchday 22 is going to be.

leinster on the other hand have several selection headaches and aren't nearly as sure of their best 22 as munster are

front row: do you play CJ if he's fit?
    second row: does toner start?
    backrow: does o brien start instead of jennings?
    half back: does sexton start?
    centre: if sexton starts do you put darcy on the bench or wing
    wing: nacewa or horgan (or darcy if contepomi starts in the centre)?

stephen_n wrote: »
    And the Leinster players on the Lions wouldn't be subject to those same pressures :pac: sounds like your making excuses in advance really.

Well ya one would have to say the leinster players would feel the same. But there is more lions on the munster team which was the reasoning behind what i said. As for if both teams play to their full potential it will be a cracker- i can still only see one winner. The old theory of leinster running through munster out back is gone with munster now possesing a far more potent threat in the backs with mafi and howlett. Kearney missing for leinster also backs up my point. Up front if both packs are on form munster will dominate. Handily at that. Therefore i satnd behind what i say. If munster play to full potential they will win. Easily. But im just worried about the lions effect.

• Advertisement

Hubris?

Well ya one would have to say the leinster players would feel the same. But there is more lions on the munster team which was the reasoning behind what i said. As for if both teams play to their full potential it will be a cracker- i can still only see one winner. The old theory of leinster running through munster out back is gone with munster now possesing a far more potent threat in the backs with mafi and howlett. Kearney missing for leinster also backs up my point. Up front if both packs are on form munster will dominate. Handily at that. Therefore i satnd behind what i say. If munster play to full potential they will win. Easily. But im just worried about the lions effect.

Were the Munster pack off form against Leinster a few weeks ago in your opinion? because the days of Munster dominating Leinster up front are gone to the same place as Leinster backs running through Munster out wide!

danthefan wrote: »
    Hubris?

Maybe just a tad :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

stephen_n wrote: »
    I don't think too many Leinster supporters would disagree with that assesment, much as it has been great to see our pack come on in leaps and bounds and our defence solidify to the consistency of steel at times we have defenitely compromised our attacking flair in doing so. The thing is sooner or later the attacking portion of the play will click into place and and I'm hoping that will be on Saturday and if it does it will take a supreme effort by Munster to stand up to it.

That's the thing about Leinster you always watched because they had this je ne sais quoi about how they played, they could give you a 50 point beating or be on the wrong end of 7 try thriller..

Now I'm not so sure if they can click - a HCup Semi Final is the wrong place to be hoping it all comes together on the day like...

danthefan wrote: »
    Hubris?

2006 and 2008.
    Leinster?? When? Never?. thought so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

However with 8 of the team on the lions panel and added to that o learys injury im very worried that they will have one eye on the tour and might keep back a little in the game.

I think that this suggests a pretty complete misunderstanding and underestimation of what the Munster jersey means to the Munster team, or what they've been playing for all year. I'm making no corollory or contradictory statement about the Leinster players passion for their own team, I can only speak in terms of what I as a Munster supporter would understand of our own players attitude.

My guess is that O'Leary's unfortunate injury will spur them on and that Stringer will relish the chance to make an impact from the get-go. These guys will be focussed on the 80 minutes on Saturday.

Really looking forward to it..........

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    I think that this suggests a pretty complete misunderstanding and underestimation of what the Munster jersey means to the Munster team, or what they've been playing for all year. I'm making no corollory or contradictory statement about the Leinster players passion for their own team, I can only speak in terms of what I as a Munster supporter would understand of our own players attitude.

My guess is that O'Leary's unfortunate injury will spur them on and that Stringer will relish the chance to make an impact from the get-go.

Ritz.

Well im not suggesting that paul o connel is going to give a team talk and say ''ok so lads as ye all know there's 8 of us on the lions team so were gona hold back a bit now just to make sure we dont get injured because the lions is more important'' all im saying is that the lions is bound to be in the back of their minds. Even if its subconsciously. And as for not knowing what the jersey means to the player etc....Wont even bother to comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Well im not suggesting that paul o connel is going to give a team talk and say ''ok so lads as ye all know there's 8 of us on the lions team so were gona hold back a bit now just to make sure we dont get injured because the lions is more important'' all im saying is that the lions is bound to be in the back of their minds. Even if its subconsciously. And as for not knowing what the jersey means to the player etc....Wont even bother to comment on that.

But with the semi's already being a done deal they could have one eye on the final too....:pac:

Seriously though, it could maybe perhaps be in their minds before the match but once a ball is kicked they won't be thinking about it. They're professionals ffs, and if you go into a game thinking you'll might get injured....you'll definitely get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

At the end of the day its a semi final in the biggest club comp in the NH why anyones mind would be on an upcoming glorified comercial challenge match is beyond me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

true-this is the bread and butter
    the lions is a bit of a mid summer distraction really
    especially as we get hockeyed more often than not

• Advertisement

2006 and 2008.
    Leinster?? When? Never?. thought so.

And what about the year in between LMAO that is tunnel vision at it's finest. As i have said Munster are favorites with out a shadow but you and any other Munster supporter who thinks that Leinster aren't capeable of beating you could have an awfull lot of humble pie to be getting through come Saturday night!

Here's hoping the team Munster will be as naive but I seriously doubt it!

Advertisement