Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v Leinster - pre/during/post thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Leinster (I'm a Leinster supporter)
    Orizio wrote: »
    Bring CJ on when Munster bring on Buckley would make the most sense, an automatic advantage in the scrum to Leinster.

And CJ will find himself pushed out of the way at ruck time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Munster (I'm a Leinster supporter)
    This makes very little sense tbh, the scrum is a very very insignificant component in the modern game, yes its still somewhat important but to suggest it could be match defining is a bit of wishfull thinking methinks

I said 1 scrum could be the difference and it can be. Defensive 5 metre scrum on your own line, they get the shunt on win scrum against head number 8 running at a winger who wasn't expecting it, or possibly at nobody.
    Or are you saying that a try might not be significant

dub_skav wrote: »
    I said 1 scrum could be the difference and it can be. Defensive 5 metre scrum on your own line, they get the shunt on win scrum against head number 8 running at a winger who wasn't expecting it, or possibly at nobody.

A scrum on the 5. Any good team would be ready for it. I doubt you'd find howlette or dowling napping. And stringer is quick around your ankles too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

hayes and Horan have always been suspect in the scrum.

hah! this arguement rears its head at least once a season and has conclusively proven to be completely and utterly wrong every time.

targetting the breakdown, winning turnover ball and attacking off the 1st phase while the munster defence isn't completely organised would be a far better option than targetting the scrum.

even if (and it's a big if) leinster get a slight advantage scrum time, munster can just switch wallace to 8 and make up the extra few yards lost to regain momentum. parity at scrum time is probably the best both teams can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Alot of could be's, might be's and possibly's there, mind you dont cut your hand clutching at them straws now :D and just in case it had escaped your attention the munster front 5 were easily the most impressive front 5 in the six nations so to suggest on the evidence of 20 mins in a magners league game that they cant scrummage is hillarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Alot of could be's, might be's and possibly's there, mind you dont cut your hand clutching at them straws now :D and just in case it had escaped your attention the munster front 5 were easily the most impressive front 5 in the six nations so to suggest on the evidence of 20 mins in a magners league game that they cant scrummage is hillarious

I was responding to a poster who claimed that 1 scrum could not make a difference. I was not referencing either Munster or Leinster in that post you quote, merely pointing out that scrums are still very important and that 1 single phase of play can be very important in determining a match, especially a scrum.

Back on the topic of Munster and Leinster's scrums. I've been watching Ireland and munster for years and regardless of what a few of you seem to think, Horan and Hayes are not good scrummagers. Good enough to rarely get absolutely destroyed - yes, but they rarely dominate and even more rarely go a whole game against a decent pack without having their asses handed to them at least once.

Edit to say I agree that targeting the scrum is not the way to win. Leinster's front row is not strong enough to completely dominate but to suggest that the scrum will have little or no bearing on the game is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

This makes very little sense tbh, the scrum is a very very insignificant component in the modern game, yes its still somewhat important but to suggest it could be match defining is a bit of wishfull thinking methinks
    A lot of people are saying it's importance is growing - with the average defensive line being made up of 12 to 13 players with one or two in the ruck or one or two at full back.

The scrum offers a platform for a much more open pitch. Similar to the old lineout.
    bleg wrote: »
    hah! this arguement rears its head at least once a season and has conclusively proven to be completely and utterly wrong every time.

targetting the breakdown, winning turnover ball and attacking off the 1st phase while the munster defence isn't completely organised would be a far better option than targetting the scrum.

even if (and it's a big if) leinster get a slight advantage scrum time, munster can just switch wallace to 8 and make up the extra few yards lost to regain momentum. parity at scrum time is probably the best both teams can hope for.

As an Ireland fan I'd say Hayes and Horan are weak scrummagers but good at everything else a prop needs to do.

They're rarely humiliated but never really outshine opposition props. Their strengths lie in other areas, we could all agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭Goose81

Orizio wrote: »
    Bring CJ on when Munster bring on Buckley would make the most sense, an automatic advantage in the scrum to Leinster.

Buckley is a TH and so is CJ.I would imagine they wont bring him on as a loosehead even though he can play it,unless hayes starts dominating Healy which going by the last game is very unlikely.
    bleg wrote: »
    i dunno what people are on about saying the leinster scrum dominated the munster scrum. it was easily even. sure if you watch the match again you can clearly see healy with his hand on the ground supporting himself plenty of times.

Dont know what match you were watching Bleg but Hayes got pushed back 2 or 3 feet at one stage and he was dominated in a good few of the scrums,whether hands were on the ground or not.

Horan held up well though and does not get the plaudits he deserves.I didnt rate him very highly but he is having the season of his life imo and is going to be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

So, when are the teams announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

captain's run tomorrow i'd expect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Leinster (I'm a Munster supporter)
    On a side note, anyone any advice on what time/how early I should arrive? I've only ever had tix for Hogan before, these ones are for the Hill, so I don't know what the deal will be with trying to get the best place possible? Wanted a few drinks beforehand but now I'm wondering how early I should actually get there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

So, when are the teams announced?

AFAIK the matchday 22 has to be submitted to the ERC by noon tomorrow, so probably around then.

It's much handier with the Six Nations and the lunchtime Tuesday team announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

damselnat wrote: »
    On a side note, anyone any advice on what time/how early I should arrive? I've only ever had tix for Hogan before, these ones are for the Hill, so I don't know what the deal will be with trying to get the best place possible? Wanted a few drinks beforehand but now I'm wondering how early I should actually get there?!

I'd imagine a half an hour before at the minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

damselnat wrote: »

Nothing like being early. Gates usually open for intls 2hrs beforehand. You can actually get to the bars then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

munster fan here normally have a stand ticket but myself (for gaa) and the other 5 i'm travelling with going to the hill, is there a bar there, i think not but just to prove to the others
    i was saying 45 mins before kick off will be ok coz like the gaa any dubs going will be late what ye think?

right well thats the magners league in the bag.

thanks to ospreys so munster are magners league champs with 2 games to go.

and now that will put the boys in good spirits for the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

There's a bar usually underneath and at the back of the hill - only one though iirc, so the queue can be fairly ridiculous at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

pint outside so but is 45mins before ok for 6 of us to be in a good spot before k.off

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

Prediction:

Munster 18
    Leinster 17

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

The Leinster team to face Munster in Saturday's Heineken Cup semi final at Croke Park (KO: 5.30pm) has been named...
    Leo Cullen is one of two changes from the side that started last weekend's 36-13 victory over Glasgow and the Leinster skipper will partner Ireland international colleague Malcolm O'Kelly in the second row.

Shane Horgan starts on the right wing with Isa Nacewa moving to full-back in place of Girvan Dempsey who suffered a knock in training during the week which limited his training, but he has recovered sufficiently to take his place on the bench. Simon Keogh has also recovered from injury and is named amongst the replacements.

Brian O'Driscoll lines up at centre alongside Gordon D'Arcy, while Australian international Rocky Elsom starts in the back-row alongside Ireland duo Shane Jennings and Jamie Heaslip.

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Shane Horgan
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Felipe Contepomi
    9: Chris Whitaker

1: Cian Healy
    2: Bernard Jackman
    3: Stan Wright
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Malcolm O'Kelly
    6: Rocky Elsom
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: John Fogarty
    17: Ronan McCormack
    18: Devin Toner
    19: Sean O'Brien
    20: Simon Keogh
    21: Jonathan Sexton
    22: Girvan Dempsey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

soundsham wrote: »
    munster fan here normally have a stand ticket but myself (for gaa) and the other 5 i'm travelling with going to the hill, is there a bar there, i think not but just to prove to the others
    i was saying 45 mins before kick off will be ok coz like the gaa any dubs going will be late what ye think?

Sure leave it till 10 mins and you will still be in 20 mins bufore the dubs:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

thegen wrote: »
    Sure leave it till 10 mins and you will still be in 20 mins bufore the dubs:rolleyes:

Mod Note

Was there any need for this?

Let's not bring other-sports rivalries in here to further stoke the fire.

Thanks

No surprise with the leinster team.

No cj and no sexton shock horror

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Peter Stringer will win his 170th Munster cap when he steps out at Croke Park for tomorrow's semi final clash with Leinster in the one change from the side that started against the Ospreys in the quarter final.
    The injury to Tomas O'Leary that necessitated that reshuffle also means there's one change on the bench with the experienced Mike Prendergast providing the back up to Stringer.
    Munster trained yesterday in brilliant sunshine at Musgrave Park and set out for Dublin today from Cork's Kent Station picking up the Limerick contingent at Limerick Junction and arriving in Heuston Station in the early afternoon.

They then carry on to Croke Park for the normal Captains Run.

Munster: P Warwick, D Howlett, K Earls, L Mafi, I Dowling, P Stringer, R O'Gara, M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell capt, A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy. Replacements: D Fogarty, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, N Ronan, M Prendergast, B Murphy, D Hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Barzipan

Devin Toner to come off the bench to replace a lacklustre O'Kelly and score the winning try beating Howlett and Earls for pace. FACT!

Barzipan wrote: »
    Devin Toner to come off the bench to replace a lacklustre O'Kelly and score the winning try beating Howlett and Earls for pace. FACT!

Or it may seem until he is ankletapped by stringer

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

Leinster (I'm a neutral)
    Just wondering(neutral here) whether Leinster would be worried about Nacewa at full-back?

I can see him bringing a more counter-attacking,running style to their game but will he be able to deal with it if Munster decide to test him with a rake of garryowens?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Is there anybody travelling to Thurles after the game.Looking for a lift down on Saturday night.
    Split cost of fuel etc

PM me please

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    No surprise with the leinster team.

No cj and no sexton shock horror

Well sexton's on the bench, just in case you meant not in 22 at all - despite backing himself in interviews to start...

No sub scrum-half named for Leinster? I'm pretty sure O'Donohue wasn't registered as a Heineken Cup squad member. Will look a bit thick if anything happens to Whitaker! And I feel O'D merited inclusion in the squad

Suppose Nacewa can slot in there same as he plays everywhere else!

• Advertisement

I just ment the hopes people had about sexton starting.

Advertisement