Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing (rental) advice

Options
  • 27-04-2009 6:51pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm currently renting a house unfurnished, three beds, two bathrooms.

I've furnished it when I moved in, and am considering getting a room mate, for different reasons.

It's so long since I rented and shared a house that I cannot remember even the most basic of details.

The rent would be split on a similiar basis to the equitable houseshare thread sticky, and I'd like to have basic house rules, such as supply your own bedlinen/towels, a cleaning rota for common areas (with the provisio of cleaning the kitchen/bathroom after yourself), shared bills for utilities (gas/esb/refuse), and notice of guests where possible.

All of the furniture, utentils etc are mine, and the person housesharing will be on the lease (it's a condition of the lease)

Does that sound similiar to how things are done now?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you want to consider charging them for use of your furniture, etc. If your stuff (shared or in their room) is worth €12,000*, then you need to charge maybe 1/60th of the value of that furniture per month = €200 per month on top of the base rent. You may also want to consider insurance.

* Obviously this figure will vary hugely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Victor wrote: »
    Do you want to consider charging them for use of your furniture, etc. If your stuff (shared or in their room) is worth €12,000*, then you need to charge maybe 1/60th of the value of that furniture per month = €200 per month on top of the base rent. You may also want to consider insurance.

* Obviously this figure will vary hugely.

Thanks Victor, I have home insurance (as a renter) that covers all of my furniture etc. I'm hadn't about charging them for use of it, but it's something to consider, when I'm doing up the rent figures and how it would be split, tbh it wouldn't make a great difference as the furniture is from my old house/family and whilst in good nick, clean and comfortable, it's not of high value :)

Advertisement