Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First bike?

• 27-04-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at getting a motorbike. I have my theory test in June.

I am looking for something like a Honda CBR125R.

I have a couple of questions:

1: How much would the bike set me back
    2: I am 18, full license in a car with a years no claims. What will the insurance cost.

Thanks,
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

having a full car license has noting to do with your insurance on a bike. Been 18 quinn might not insure you. I think if you have a car policy with axa/aon then they will give you a cheaper quote for your bike.
    Ya should be able to pick up a cbr fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If you are 18, it might be better to get a years experience on a moped, at least you will be able to get insured on it. Once the year is up, it would be a lot easier to get insured on something like a cbr125

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Simon Jester

Got a quote for 1200 from Quinn (Third Party Fire&Theft).

I am 6'1" will I be able to use a cbr125 comfortably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That's a good price. When i was 18, my insurance with 1 years no claims on a moped was €2000 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Bryn wrote: »
    That's a good price. When i was 18, my insurance with 1 years no claims on a moped was €2000 :mad:

similar here, 1st moped was 19, 1700euro (quoted)
    luckily they gave me the price if i was 20 (it was only a few weeks before birthday) and got it for 1200 (this was 7 years ago)
    500 difference for 1 year
    madness

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Simon Jester

I'm fairly sure I put everything in right. Except I used my cay reg as I dont have a bike yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm fairly sure I put everything in right. Except I used my cay reg as I dont have a bike yet.
    it dont really matter bout the reg. The insurance also depends on where ya live. If your in smelly dublin ya will pay more than if ya lived in manly waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I am 6'1" will I be able to use a cbr125 comfortably?

Its a pretty tiny bike, but I didnt have a prob at 5'11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

seanybiker wrote: »
    it dont really matter bout the reg. The insurance also depends on where ya live. If your in smelly dublin ya will pay more than if ya lived in manly waterford

haha classic seany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

If you are keeping the bike in a garage at night, or only using it the odd time like myself, try a third part only quote.

It was a few hundred euro cheaper for me (€950 vs €650), and considering I always either have it in the garage or I'm riding it, there was no point going for TPFT. Just something to consider, could save a few hundred euro for you

Advertisement