Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a half pipe

Options
  • 27-04-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some direction on good dimensions for a half pipe. It'll be for use with skateboards and BMX's.

I was thinking somthing like:

10ft high (including 1ft vert)
    26ft long (with 6ft flat) (The total length will be 34ft including the 4ft decks on either side)
    12ft wide

should I increase the length of the flat and/or width? (Preferably I would like not to have to change width, changing the length will not be a problem)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some direction on good dimensions for a half pipe. It'll be for use with skateboards and BMX's.

I was thinking somthing like:

10ft high (including 1ft vert)
    26ft long (with 6ft flat) (The total length will be 34ft including the 4ft decks on either side)
    12ft wide

should I increase the length of the flat and/or width? (Preferably I would like not to have to change width, changing the length will not be a problem)

If 12ft is the widest you can go I would build a mini ramp rather than a vert ramp. A 9ft transition will be a bit whippy by todays standards especially at 12ft wide as it'll be a real 80s style straight up and down airs type of ramp. Also 6ft flat is waaay to little, I use 10ft flat on 4ft high ramps.

I'd recomend 12ft wide ,10ft flat ,4ft high with 7.5ft transitions.
    www.rampplans.org is a good site for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SprayonCrayons

I really have my heart set on using a vert, so I've drastically altered the plans:

10ft high
    16ft transitions
    1ft vert
    16ft wide
    (Would this work? I could increase it to 20ft but I would rather not if possible)
    16ft flat (this I am not sure about)

Also I realise this will be quite expensive but this (hopefully) won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Yeah you will be able to make it vert if it's 16ft wide (the wider the better). But 10ft high and 16ft transitions won't be a vert ramp it'll be a big midi ramp. 9ft transitions + 1ft of vert will give you a ramp that rides similar to the deep end in greystones bowl. I'd reccomend 12-14ft of flat bottom and 4ft or bigger platforms. If it's strictly a bike ramp you can go 14ft flat if it's gonna be skated too then 12ft , I think 16ft would be a bit much.

I really have my heart set on using a vert, so I've drastically altered the plans:

10ft high
    16ft transitions
    1ft vert
    16ft wide
    (Would this work? I could increase it to 20ft but I would rather not if possible)
    16ft flat (this I am not sure about)

Also I realise this will be quite expensive but this (hopefully) won't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chuppachee

Hi, did you ever build that vert ramp after?

Advertisement