Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q6700 or E8400 for a new gaming rig?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The E8400 will outperform it for now anyway. You probably won't see games heavily utilising quads for a while yet.

Although if I had the choice I'd get a Q6600 SLACR, and OC it to hell and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you plan on running stuff in the background ie multiple apps with duel screen go for a Q6600 and just overclock the nuts off it to be honest. If not get the E8400 and overlock the nuts off that instead :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anti wrote: »
    If you plan on running stuff in the background ie multiple apps with duel screen go for a Q6600 and just overclock the nuts off it to be honest. If not get the E8400 and overlock the nuts off that instead :p

:rolleyes: You'd not get a Q6600 anywhere, they've been gone a long time. Q6700 only available now as Intel have stopped making them. Good thing is all Q6700's are G0's

@ OP, Usual question, higher clocked dual or lower clocked quad core............. I'd go with a quad as games will run on any chip better than a 2.4ghz C2D and with a quad You'll have ample processor power for multiple applications open at the same time. I play games with Media Player, Thunderbird, Firefox, Msn, Skype, Rocketdock and sidebar all opened without a slowdown, things like this you can't do with just 2 cores. I've my quad overclocked to 3.2Ghz for the best of both worlds.

You can get the Q6600 SLACR on overclockers still, it uses 10W less and is also G0 stepping.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gaid1n

I could go for a Q6600 but they're £30 more expensive than a Q6700 or E8400 and it appears that the Q6700 overclocks just as well. I wouldn't plan on pushing a 6700 past 3.4Ghz anyway.
    Anybody recommend a good cooler? I was just gonna go for a Freezer 7 as they're cheap and cheerful but I'm trying to build as quiet machine as I can, hence the 4870 with non-reference cooler.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Gaid1n wrote: »
    I could go for a Q6600 but they're £30 more expensive than a Q6700 or E8400 and it appears that the Q6700 overclocks just as well. I wouldn't plan on pushing a 6700 past 3.4Ghz anyway.
    Anybody recommend a good cooler? I was just gonna go for a Freezer 7 as they're cheap and cheerful but I'm trying to build as quiet machine as I can, hence the 4870 with non-reference cooler.
    Cheers

wouldn't put an artic cooler freezer7 pro on a quad...
    (grand cooler for a daul core not a quad though.)

Can't really go wrong with a thermal right ultra extreme 120mm for a quadcore.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338777 or here
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?THE-ULT12E

Just strap on a quiet 120mm case fan to it an you are well sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

In Tomshardware.com they are always doing tests on different builds. You should really check them out!

Their results are always the same....
    And they're in favour of the dual-cores.

Saying that however i got a Q6700 quad cores just sound nicer...

€163 delivered for a Q6600 SLACR here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Effluo wrote: »
    In Tomshardware.com they are always doing tests on different builds. You should really check them out!

Their results are always the same....
    And they're in favour of the dual-cores.
    New article up, How many cores do you need?
    Worth a read. Only three games used in the tests, all of which showed a slight improvement when moving from two cores to four. They did set the games up so they would be deliberately bottle-necked by the cpu and not the gpu so it's hard to measure how relevant to real life gaming it is.

Advertisement