Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consuming Passsions - Equestrian

Options
  • 27-04-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I know it's short notice, but the RTE series, Consuming Passions, is on RTE 1 at 20.30 and it's focusing on equestrian enthusiasts this evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

caught the last 20 minutes of it, interesting stuff, hopefully it'll be on the RTE player thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I think it was a repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Alibear wrote: »
    I think it was a repeat?
    It was on about 12months ago. One lady spent 2hours on a train to have her lessons i think:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

I tuned in to watch last night, and thought it was terrible!

One lady, like lester76 says, spent about 2 hrs going to her lessons (and she had 2 group lessons and 1 private lesson a week, which didn't seem to be very effective - she said she has been riding for 2 years!)

Another lady seemed to be more involved in grooming her horse than riding, altho that could have been the editing of the programme.

The last guy was a bit better, he was getting into competitions, and we saw him win a rosette :D

I don't mean to be insulting to the people above, but we have a much better selection of "horsey people" in Ireland, and I thought the three last night did not represent very well. *Sigh* maybe I'm only jealous because I wanted to be horseriding last night instead of watching tv! :(

• Advertisement

ems_12 wrote: »
    Another lady seemed to be more involved in grooming her horse than riding, altho that could have been the editing of the programme.

Was she the one who taught her horse to pee outside to save on mucking out?
    I don't mean to be insulting to the people, but we have a much better selection of "horsey people" in Ireland, and I thought the three last night did not represent very well.

Except for the fella winning his rosette, I'd agree with you, it made us horsey types look weird! :)

it's on player now

Was she the one who taught her horse to pee outside to save on mucking out?

Yep that's the one! She did point out that she's saving a fortune on bedding, fair enough :pac:

But we saw more of her putting hot towels on her horse and showing the camera all her clipping equipment/brushes and bandages than we saw of her on the horse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Think it's nice to see the less competitive side of horses for once. So it's their passion.

Oh totally agree Togster..... I don't own my own horse, hence don't do very many competitions so if it was all professional horseriders I'd probably be complaining more! :rolleyes:

I think though it could been a broad mix to show the large range of "horsey people" we have in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I actually thought it was ok. In fairness, each to his own and they are representative of a horsey set who love their horses and are passionate about what they do at their own level. They get as much pleasure of it, perhaps even more than some of the horsey set who are in it as professionals. They are having pure fun at it more importantly and thats what the programme was getting at i suppose.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Did that lady kick the horse when she was getting up on it? Thats what it looked like to me and then she blames it on the horses bad behaviour. Maybe i just saw it wrong. Anyone else notice this?

ems_12 wrote: »
    Yep that's the one! She did point out that she's saving a fortune on bedding, fair enough :pac:

I was hoping she'd tell us how she trained him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

sup_dude wrote: »
    Did that lady kick the horse when she was getting up on it? Thats what it looked like to me and then she blames it on the horses bad behaviour. Maybe i just saw it wrong. Anyone else notice this?

She was using a 'block' (I'm not sure of the proper name, but it's one of those plastic blocks that you can use to set up fences at different heights) as a mounting block and when she was putting her foot in the stirrup she unbalanced and knocked it against and then under the horse, and he spooked. And, like you said, it was the horse's fault; not hers nor the instructors for using a not-so-safe method to mount. Ok, we all do it, but riding schools should know better and provide a concrete/fixed mounting block for their pupils to use when mounting, instead of a bucket or plastic block. This especially goes for 'beginners' and novice riders.

Advertisement