Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Driving Test routes?

• 27-04-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hey Guys!

So I just applied to take my Driving Test, hopefully should get a date for within the next few weeks or so.

Does anyone know what the test route is or where it goes?

I don't know Westside well at all and I haven't a clue about the route. Would like to get some practice in around the area before the big day.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for any Driving Instructors that do Pre-tests / Mock tests and who know the route very well? Someone who's actually good at what they do, as aside from being some car cowboy would be nice aswell! :pac:

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Driving Instructors:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055130546&highlight=instructor

Some of the Testing has been out sourced to SGS who operate out of Ballybrit. Do you know if you are departing from Westside or Ballybrit?

There are some similar threads here:
    here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Thanks for that Sgthighway!

Unfortunately all SGS centres are now closed, I was hoping to get the SGS in Doughiska but it closed down earlier this month.

So, yup, it's definitely Westside for me!

Hope the route isn't too bad out there - I'm dreading to think that if I fail it'll be another go at E75 a pop!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There is no one route.

I reckon you should get your instructor to bring you everywhere in the West of the City the week before.

There were roadworks in Salthill the day I did mine so the guy made up a nice little stinker of a route for me which included a school letting small kids out and associated 4x4s mixed in with about 8 hill starts in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

There is no one route.

you certain about that cos i did the one in westside and it was exactly as my instructor had said it wud be, still failed to stop fully at knocknacarra so didnt pass...on second attempt it was with sgs so the route was on the eastside and again the guy knew the route exactly and i was successful

the name is Joyce an he is in the advertiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

Marks Motoring School 087 1338008 he helped me past first time and knows all the routes, not too expensive either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Somebody told me before that you can download test routes, and print them out if you wish. Is this true. Have never looked into it as have very little time. My test is next week.

Have spent a fortune on driving lessons. Have learned from scratch, had noone willing to help me with practise. Tried driving on my own but I crashed. So only had driving lessons experience. Must have had 60+ lessons and having a load this week and will be royally fücked if i dont pass. Probably wont be allowed any sleep next weekend by my dsyfunctional family (sleep is forbidden in house) and will be very tired more than likely. Will be having a love affair with red bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Do you get a preference of which side of town you can apply to do your test in? Having lived over the east side for 4 years i know it pretty well and would prefer to do it over there!

axiom32 wrote: »
    There is no one route.

you certain about that cos i did the one in westside and it was exactly as my instructor had said it wud be, still failed to stop fully at knocknacarra so didnt pass...on second attempt it was with sgs so the route was on the eastside and again the guy knew the route exactly and i was successful

the name is Joyce an he is in the advertiser

You got lucky is all I can say. They can and do bring you anywhere. Some days they're lazy and will bring you a more common route though. There are stats somewhere of the routes and which are most common. I remember my instructor bringing me on a 50% of tests one and a 20% with the little variations. In the end I got brought a route that my instructor had never heard of anyone go on before (nor since I reckon because a good 15 minutes of the test were spent queuing for traffic lights on a hill)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarsarsar

Are you sure SGS tests are not in operation anymore or is ti just the SGS beside the NCT centre?? Routes and testers that side of the city are much nicer (I know because Ive experienced both East and West side!)

Westside routes tend to be around Knocknacarra, make sure you also get practise on the yield system that runs behind the football pitch in Westside.

For my test in Westside I had a driving instructor give me lessons, a fella from Salthill, and he was a complete waste of money, ended up failing badly. On second test I used Atlas School of Driving, I think it is a one person operation, but just amazing, only got one minor tick in my test so I highly recommend.

Best of luck!!

sarsarsar wrote: »
    Westside routes tend to be around Knocknacarra, make sure you also get practise on the yield system that runs behind the football pitch in Westside.

This will also give you good practice on the correct use of a car horn! Yeild you mother****ers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Get a few lessons in. If the instructor is any good at all they will warn you about certain spots that may cause you to pick up grade 2's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Hi all!

Tis me again!

Well I've got my Driving Test for next week... eeeep!

Could anyone reccommend a good pre-test instructor who knows the routes and gives good feedback etc...?

I know there's one big Driving Instructor Reccommendation thread however that's now locked and it turned into one big shillomatic so I'm not too trusting of most of the recs on there...

Need to get my ass in gear for next week!

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

PM'd pandamoanium, go with this guy!

Advertisement