Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational Grants

Options
  • 27-04-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

im doind arch tech up in ye olde bolton street! just about to finish first year and was wondering about grants! last year i applied but wasnt granted cause in the year before i applied my parents made too much to qualify etc. but obviously circumstances change and i have been told that income is low enough to qualify!

long story short, was on the wickow council site and it says "students entering 3rd level for 1st time" can apply! does this mean i cant or??
    thats ridiculous if so
    cheeeeeeeeers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

you should be ok all ya do is around the start od aug ring ur local CC and ask for a grant form for 3rd level. the form you get will depend on the level of course but fill it out and if your income is low enough you will be grand. Just a hint to speed it up. Start getting the forms together now for the tax year 2008 ie p45 P60 P21 for you and ur parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

When it says "students entering 3rd level for the first time" what it means is "students who don't already have a degree" as the grant is not allocated to students who already hold a 3rd level qualification. They won't fund you to study for an equivalent or lesser qualification than one you already hold.

Example:

If you already hold a Level 6 (Certificate), you will not be funded to study another Level 6, but you should be funded if you apply to study a Level 7 (Ordinary Degree) or a Level 8 (Honours Degree) as this represents "progression."

Either way, if you were refused for a grant for the 2008/09 academic year based on your parents' income for the Tax Year ended December 2007, you are eligible to re-apply for the grant for 2009/10, using your parents' income for the Tax Year ended December 2008 if you can prove that said income is under the threshold.

There's lots more information available at: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

This link is aimed at mature students, but the information in it is relevant to all.

Grant Application forms should be released in late May or early June, and are typically due back in by the end of August, so you've got some time. Give WCC a buzz on (0404) 20 100 and ask them to send you out an application form.

Best wishes

Bob

Advertisement