Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home james and through the park.....

Options
  • 27-04-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm returning to Cork soon after many years away, no, i was not inside, it was even worse, I was down under.....:D .............anyway, I've long since totally lost contact with a special pal from well over 40 years ago...... has anyone got any sensible ideas about how I could quietly go about trying to find out if they are still in Cork and hopefully alive and well........?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/displayhome.ds that would be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dozemode

Thanks fella..:)..............I did find one entry for her surname,:) but the first name is different....the surname is rare, so a good chance that this is a real lead!!!!!! ...the possibility is that it's a relative of my pal.......what does an old chap do now? after all these years I can hardly go to the front door and say '' I've called for your Granny, she was my childhood sweetheart, is she in ? I'm back again, and we're goin walking in Fitzgeralds Park so that I can catch up on all the news ''.................:D........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd assume the last poster pointed you to the phone book for the number, not the address. Pick up the phone.

Thanks for input! I must admit that I do favour the direct approach in most situations, however in this case a more circumspect route seems more appropiate, particularly if my pal's 6'4'' husband were to pick up the phone:eek: of course I have no way of knowing whether such a thing is likely, but my main aim is to avoid causing any upset to anyone......I don't know what my own reaction might be if someone from my long lost youth were to suddenly phone me ................. :confused: back to the drawing board.............

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Operator, number, please: it's been so many years
    Will she remember my old voice while I fight the tears?
    Hello, hello there, is this Martha? this is old Tom Frost,
    And I am calling long distance, don't worry 'bout the cost.
    'Cause it's been forty years or more, now Martha please recall,
    Meet me out for coffee, where we'll talk about it all.

Sorry love that song and your post reminded me of it :)

you could check if they are registered to vote at the address from phonebook here.
    http://www.checktheregister.ie/

Other possible sources are www.solocheck.ie which would allow you to see if they are registered as directors of a company it might give you a lead.

• Advertisement

very interesting leads too!........I've checked 'em out, so far without success, though it could just be the system, I couldn't find my brother either and I KNOW he's registered ! :) ...........of course part of the problem is that my pal has most probably changed her name long since.........anyway this board has made me want to keep trying to find her, if only to finally say goodbye, but of course without causing any fuss ...I wrote a few lines about it years later, it sums up the lack of communication between us on what was to be our last meeting ..being young and not very bright I had no idea how important that meeting was, and that's why it was our last.... ..such a cool cool parting on a warm sunny day,so many words were left unsaid, never another chance to say.......such a final final parting , though we never said goodbye, such a sad sad parting, I never saw you cry..............

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

"Let's all meet up in the year 2000..."

lol :)

indeed it's funny :).....my pal was always far more sensible than i was.......I can imagine her reaction now, were I ever to find her it would go something like this '' when you were young and strong and i wanted to marry you, you needed time and time and more time...in effect you turned me down without having the balls to say goodbye, and hopped off to the other side of the world, now you return a bald and wrinkled old goat with a wife kids and guilt issues? wow! thanks very much , but no thanks! keep hoppin grandpa!''...........:eek:.......however, none of this affects my desire to find her, and to talk just once more..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Do you live in a movie?

I certainly was playing a part the last time I saw her.......I was the tough guy who could not afford to be pinned down by my own words, tough guys say lots of things..... was it my fault if someone chose to believe my every word?..anyway was it not old bill who said the whole world is a stage ? , ...well why find her now? simple, I've finally stopped playing the part :).....soon as I left the stage I realised that I had not been lying at all.......she knew that, I know it now............

• Advertisement
Advertisement