Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|4|20|39.5|Put on half a stone in the States even though I kept up with the running :eek:. A lot of beer and food consumed though:)
    Rainbow|3|17|38.5|Missed a run because of moving across the country - 8 mile long run this week|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Munster_Gal|3|7|22|I wasn't able for the mileage this week. Going to do the week's training again!I think I'm actually going to have to incorporate stretching into my sessions. My calves were really tight this week and so I was afraid to push myself|
    Goofygirl|||||
    Abi2007|||||

Sub430 You deleted me :(:(:(:( sob sob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

MG - I know you are looking at the 16 week plan from the nin-runners guide. Can I suggest that you do this weeks training rather than last weeks training though as the LSR is lower and you don't need to do the LT part. This weeks should be easier than last.

Well week 3 of the 16 week program is 3 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles and 7 miles. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Sub430 wrote: »
    Question relating to food.
    I didn't eat anything before the run and didn't feel hungry during the run. Should you always eat before an LSR or is it better to get your body used to running without food once a week as per McMillan or is this a bad idea for a novice and I'm getting ahead of myself (as frequently happens :))

This is a do as I say not as I do, I'm afraid.

There is a school of thought that says unfuelled LSRs are good for you, led by McMillan. In theory it's all good and it's something I do, although as much out of habit as any great conviction.

However it is NOT something a novice should do. You need to be very aware of your body so that you can spot danger signs as you run the risk of extreme glycogen depletion and dehydration both of which can be dangerous. As a novice it would be hard to tell the difference between normal LSR fatigue and "OMG I'm about to faint" depletion. EG in my last training cycle I underestimated things and came very close to exhaustion on an unfueled 21 miler. I had to cut the run short and was in a pretty bad way by the time I got back. The lack of fuel also slows you down pretty badly as you run - I routinely start my LSRs at 8 - 8:15 and end them at 9 - 9:30 (at teh same HR) again through fuel depletion. And lastly there is evidence that it can dramatically slow recovery.

So not a good idea!
    Thanks again to amadeus, keep up the good work. I haven't gotten so excited about an update since....well ever.:D

Awww, shucks. Glad you're enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sub430|4|20|39.5|Put on half a stone in the States even though I kept up with the running :eek:. A lot of beer and food consumed though:)
    Rainbow|3|17|38.5|Missed a run because of moving across the country - 8 mile long run this week|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|5|27.6|53.8|left shin a little sore|
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Munster_Gal|3|7|22|I wasn't able for the mileage this week. Going to do the week's training again!I think I'm actually going to have to incorporate stretching into my sessions. My calves were really tight this week and so I was afraid to push myself|
    Goofygirl|||||
    Abi2007|||||

happy again with this weeks mileage and lsr. Lsr this morning was 10.2 miles, 1 hour 40, average hr 153, thats about 9 min 52 sec miles. I did have to stop for 2 mins though to readjust hrm but I suppose stoppages can happen at any time. My shin is kinda niggling me though so might do some runs on grass this week if I can.

Amadeus, I'm also doing the 5 miler in the park. I was gonna do a long run next sunday of 12 miles, and then just follow hal higdon for the week of the race cause that will have a 3 miler on the thursday, a rest day on the Friday and should be well rested for the race. What do you think?

This thread is really keeping me motivated aswell so thanks to everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Sub430 You deleted me :(:(:(:( sob sob

Oops, sorry MG, the posts must have crossed, it takes me about 10 attempts to get it right, you must have posted in the meantime. Note to self, must check in quicker. :o

• Advertisement

However it is NOT something a novice should do.

So not a good idea!

So that's a no then? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, glad to eat before the run, don't want to faint on a bog road somewhere, sure I'd never be found unless this Garmin thingymebob dragged me home..that would somewhat surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Mr Marenghi|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Goofygirl|4|18|36|Included a very hot and humid 10km road race, trotted home in 56mins 30|
    Abi2007|||||

I'd just like to add my voice to those saying a big thanks to Amadeus for taking us under his wing and setting out the training schedule/answering all our questions etc. I hate running with other people (inferiority thing, always think I'm holding them back) so for me this is the best of both worlds - to get to pound out the miles by myself but to know there's a wider community out there working towards the same goal as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Mr Marenghi|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|5|20.5|39.7|Good week for me despite a miserable mid week run. Thrilled with yesterdays 7miler,longest distance for me ever|
    Goofygirl|4|18|36|Included a very hot and humid 10km road race, trotted home in 56mins 30|
    Abi2007|||||

Amadeus I am following your schedule so yes please keep posting it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Mr Marenghi|3|12|27|very very busy last few weeks, so only really into it this week|
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|5|20.5|39.7|Good week for me despite a miserable mid week run. Thrilled with yesterdays 7miler,longest distance for me ever|
    Abi2007|||||

Bad week or two with work, filming till alll hours, hopefully on schedule now !

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Mr Marenghi|3|12|27|very very busy last few weeks, so only really into it this week|
    McConkey|3|19.3|to calculate|Managed to finish the Achill half :)|
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Abi2007|||||

Couldn't use this table last week but think I've figured it out. Will be resting a bit after Achill....tough day, report from the back on my log :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Abi2007|1|6|16.6|not a very good week. couldn't run till thurs after half marathon sunday and then went to a hens weekend.. some making up to do|

Eh, I just meant to have a look, I never meant to post, but everyone else was posting, and it looked good, I tried to resist, I never wanted to post, I never thought they would respond, it wasn't meant to turn out this way, I'll train extra hard, i'll follow your programmes to the letter, it's too late isn't it, what is it for treason round these parts, I can hear you all now, OFF WITH HIS FEET

New week today? so far this week I've done 4.7 miles.. pretty tough after a mad weekend in London. Feeling like the marathon might be a bit too much of a challenge can't seem to get the miles in :( Oxygen this weekend and a wedding the next, after that though I'm off the drink for a while and I'm going to focus.

I entered the series races the 5mile is the morning of the wedding :eek:

also entered a 6.5km (i think) on the 23rd of July and then another one in august.

Need to keep motivated!

Hey what is LT and LSR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

abi2007 wrote: »
    Hey what is LT and LSR?

LSR is Long Slow Run, your once a week long run and the building block of your program. Builds in length week on week and should be run at a slower pace then normal, roughly 60 - 90 secs per mile slower than PMP (Planned Marathon Pace)

And LT:
    On Wed we have a 4 mile run (the midweek runs are going to start stretching now as well). You'll see though that there is 2 @ LT Pace. This means 2 miles run at Lactate Threshold (LT).

Put simply Lactate is a by product of work performed at a cellular level. As your muscles work harder teh amount of lactate increases. Ata certain level more is produced than can be cleared away (lactate turnpoint or lactate threshold). After this the lactate accumulates and - over time - this will compromise your performance. The higher your Lactate Threashold the faster you can run before lactate accumulates and you increase your threashold by (among other things) doing LT pace runs.

Your LT pace is typically either the fastest pace you can maintain for an hour or your 10 mile race pace. For a more detailed explanation check here

I know a couple of you are following different programs - I'm not doing this for ego so if no-one is following this please let me know! I promise not to be offended!

OI... We're watching you. Morning of the race you better check your laces aren't tied together...!

I'll do ya proud amadeus,

Seriously though, there is some crowd doing the 5 miler, I had a look at the website, and there is over 3000 signed up. Bloody hell, that kinda knocks my sub 40 on the head, or will there b chip timing recognition at the start of the race so that you will have an actual chip time.

On another note, I'm getting really addicted to this running lark. at the moment, I actually can't wait for tomorrow to get out again, this is a good thing I suppose, just don't want to overdo it. I also seem to be having a problem mentally with lsr's I find it hard to believe that running them all 60 - 90 secs slower than pmp will prepare you for pmp, i will have to trust it though, the hrm is keepig me in check anyway for the moment

Decided to record resting heart rate and weight at the start of each week just for the craic.

Week 3: RHR 48 : Weight 12st3

3 miles today, tried to keep HR < 154. Avg 151, Max 162 : 27m11

Also looking forward to the LT run in a masochistic sort of way, tune may have changed by this time tomorrow though.

I'm in the same boat as OI, hard to run so slowly and am afraid I could be losing some speed but I have blind faith in the boss and his methods.;)

Oh yeah, also trying to incorporate these after a run.

Welcome back sub430, hope you had a good time in the states.

5.7 this morn, 50 mins, didn't wear hrm, I found it really tough actually. Getting off the roads now for a while, joints are feeling the pressure just a tad, as are calf muskels.
    So getting on to grass the next couple of days, as follows:
    5 on grass tomorrow
    3 on grass Thursday
    rest day Friday
    I was gonna do yassos again on saturday followed by about 6 miles on Sunday.

It's either that or do a pmp 6 miler on sat followed by lsr on Sunday, I don't know what to do actually with 5 miles race in the park Saturday week, any suggestions?...............5.7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Seriously though, there is some crowd doing the 5 miler, I had a look at the website, and there is over 3000 signed up. Bloody hell, that kinda knocks my sub 40 on the head, or will there b chip timing recognition at the start of the race so that you will have an actual chip time.

3000 isn't actually too bad on the roads that they use, and 40 mins is definitely doable - your training times at the moment are pretty close to what mine were last year and I just went sub-40 in this race... Also, it is chip timed, so there's a bit of lee-way if you're not at the very front at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Oh yeah, also trying to incorporate these after a run.

Thanks for the link to those stretches. The picture on point 5 is very disturbing for some reason.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link to those stretches. The picture on point 5 is very disturbing for some reason.

Cheers.

You're welcome, but I'd save the thanks until you try them. ;) If you think the picture is disturbing, try the stretch, it is effective but you feel like a right spanner.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

triangle|||||
    oryx|3|15.2|39.4|Didnt run as much as Id like, recovering from the half. Am feeling much better this week, so hopefully will pick up more miles. |
    Abi2007|1|6|16.6|not a very good week. couldn't run till thurs after half marathon sunday and then went to a hens weekend.. some making up to do|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

All of a sudden lately i seem to be gettting a stitch on my right side when about 2 miles in. Am doing a warm up and not doing anything different to what i've beeen doing for months.......any advice ?

triangle|||||
    oryx|3|15.2|39.4|Didnt run as much as Id like, recovering from the half. Am feeling much better this week, so hopefully will pick up more miles. |
    Abi2007|2|11|27.6|week 3 started off well, 4m mon 7m tues..need to get on a proper program|

Decided to record resting heart rate and weight at the start of each week just for the craic.

Week 3: RHR 48 : Weight 12st3

Can I ask has your weight changed? I've gone from 10st 4 to 10st 9? was hoping to loose not gain :(

Can I ask has your weight changed? I've gone from 10st 4 to 10st 9? was hoping to loose not gain :(

Sure, no secrets between the allstars!
    I was 12st10 when I started running after Christmas so not a huge loss but I have been eating well.

Fair play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Since I started running? 14st 11lbs -> 10st 11lbs. :D

Since I started running? 14st 11lbs -> 10st 11lbs. :D

That's very impressive rk, wow!
    I went from 13 1/2 stone to 12 1/2 stone since January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's bloody expensive! I've gone from a size 18-20 to size 12-14 (I'm almost dropping to a size 12 at the moment) and I keep having to buy a ton of new clothes! It's a good thing I'm quite happy to shop in Penneys...

Advertisement