Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just paid my registration fee. All systems go now:eek: soooo excited. I cant believe Im actually going to do this. (fingers crossed all goes well and I make it to the start line)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bally8 wrote: »
    Just paid my registration fee. All systems go now:eek: soooo excited. I cant believe Im actually going to do this. (fingers crossed all goes well and I make it to the start line)

Aaaaaarrrgggh, only have two weeks to enter, for the 70 € anyway, well done bally8, welcome to hell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I'm just wondering what terrain I should be running on. I'm currently running on pretty much all concrete, but I hear it's not great for the legs. Should I be looking to do any of my runs on grass or any other surface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

So though my admitted goal is "oh I just want to finish" in my head I add "under 4 hours 30". Am I really getting enough mileage in though? This is the time in my life when I'll probably have the most time to dedicate to training as well as ridiculous resources to hand - indoor 200m running track and ENORMOUS gym at work I can use for free, excellent local training group. Should I be stepping it up a notch? Or am I getting ahead of myself, setting myself up for injury and disappointment? As this is my first marathon should I simply concentrate on getting around? And I suppose the mileage is going to increase over the weeks to come...

Basically I don't want to arrive on 26th October feeling I could or should have done more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Free gym at work... where are you working and are they hiring???? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah I've really landed on my feet. Here's the official blurb on the free recreation facilities at work:

* 14,000 sq. ft. fitness centre
    * 2 aerobics studios
    * 5 volleyball/basketball courts
    * 6 international squash courts
    * 6 outdoor tennis courts
    * 2 outdoor beach volleyball courts
    * 4 outdoor playing fields
    * 200 m indoor track
    * 40 ft. indoor climbing wall
    * 25 m salt water pool
    * hot tub
    * bouldering wall
    * multi-purpose room
    * steam rooms
    * family change rooms

Oh yeah we also get free onsite physio, chiro and massage therapy as part of the health care plan
    (Sorry if this is deemed OT then just delete it mods, not trying to make people jealous or anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

goofygirl wrote: »
    Yeah I've really landed on my feet. Here's the official blurb on the free recreation facilities at work:

* 14,000 sq. ft. fitness centre
    * 2 aerobics studios
    * 5 volleyball/basketball courts
    * 6 international squash courts
    * 6 outdoor tennis courts
    * 2 outdoor beach volleyball courts
    * 4 outdoor playing fields
    * 200 m indoor track
    * 40 ft. indoor climbing wall
    * 25 m salt water pool
    * hot tub
    * bouldering wall
    * multi-purpose room
    * steam rooms
    * family change rooms

(Sorry if this is deemed OT then just delete it mods, not trying to make people jealous or anything)

I want a job there :eek:

I'm totally jealous! Seriously are they hiring? I'm ready to relocate

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430||||
    Rainbow| 4 | 22 | 60.5 | Schedule things a bit better and don't be trying to shove everything into the weekend! 9 mile long run this week.
    Mr Marenghi|4|19|46|gonna try the 9mile this week, also the ADIDAS 5miler in the Phoenix Park!
    osnola ivax|6|33.84|87.64|really happy with this week
    McConkey||||
    oryx|3|16|55.4|Not happy with the number of runs I'm putting in, but needs must till I get my legs back.|
    Bally8|5|20.5|60.2|Feel much stronger mentally after this week. I have a new found belief that I can actually achieve this :D
    Munster_Gal| 3 | 11 | 33 |Missed one session again this week but got my 5 miles in. My 9 mile will have to be done mid week next as I'm gonna be doing the 5 miles in Dublin on Saturday.
    Goofygirl|4|19|55|em nothing to add really,just plugging away :)
    Abi2007||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Oryx wrote: »
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|5|21|60.5|Going to run on Sundays istead of cross training bringing days running up to 5.
    Rainbow| 4 | 22 | 60.5 | Schedule things a bit better and don't be trying to shove everything into the weekend! 9 mile long run this week.
    Mr Marenghi|4|19|46|gonna try the 9mile this week, also the ADIDAS 5miler in the Phoenix Park!
    osnola ivax|6|33.84|87.64|really happy with this week
    McConkey||||
    oryx|3|16|55.4|Not happy with the number of runs I'm putting in, but needs must till I get my legs back.|
    Bally8|5|20.5|60.2|Feel much stronger mentally after this week. I have a new found belief that I can actually achieve this :D
    Munster_Gal| 3 | 11 | 33 |Missed one session again this week but got my 5 miles in. My 9 mile will have to be done mid week next as I'm gonna be doing the 5 miles in Dublin on Saturday.
    Goofygirl|4|19|55|em nothing to add really,just plugging away :)
    Abi2007||||

Sunday - 4 miles recovery - 37m52. Avg HR 144.

Went on an impromptu session on Sunday and still feel ropey, missed my run this morning due to it. Drink (especially whiskey) is a curse. Will drag my arse out this evening instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So I've been thinking about my race stratege now that I've finally registered. Initially I thought that I would aim at a run 10 minute walk 1 minute plan for the whole marathon. Now I'm beginning to think that I might try running to each water station and walking through them. That would mean maybe walking 1 minute every 3 miles. Any opinions?

I ran my first 3 miles without having to walk today so thats where this train of though is stemming from.

Sounds like a plan Bally8 - You're doing really really well!
    Although today is the first time that I didn't majorly feel like crap during my run! Fingers crossed that I get through the 9 in one piece.

Sounds like a plan Bally8 - You're doing really really well!
    Although today is the first time that I didn't majorly feel like crap during my run! Fingers crossed that I get through the 9 in one piece.

There must be something in the air, the run today was enjoyable for me too even though I was decked out in rain gear and of course it didn't rain :o

Again run on perceived effort.

Hal Higdon Week 4: RHR 45 Weight 12st2

3m in 25m51s. Avg HR 152.

6miles farting tomorrow - should be fun.:rolleyes:

Meh, at this time of year you're probably better off just wearing a t-shirt and shorts and accepting the drowning if it rains. I got pelted on between miles 6 and 8 of my long run at the weekend and it was great getting some natural cooling!

Fartlek done. Good run apart from The Man stopping me running on the new as yet unfinished bypass in case of injury. I can see his point but there are no cars on it and it is newly laid, it's not like it's full of potholes and uneven ground. Oh well, back to the safe roads now:(

I took the first 2 miles as a warmup 9:16 and 9:04.
    Then varied speed for the next 2 1/2 miles 7:48, 8:10, 9:09.
    Felt strong near the end so went for a quick finish 8:39.

Happy with that 6m in 52:08, avg HR 153, Max 176.

There must be something in the air this week.

Monday, 4 miles felt GREAT. Was on such a high afterwards, completely amazing feeling, runner's high maybe??

Then last night, local running club speed session. 5 x 1 mile repeats at about 8 mins 40 pace. Felt GREAT as well.

It's nice when these weeks come along :)

You're lucky... I had a **** run last night. It was like all the stress and headwrecking of the last few weeks decided to descend into my legs and it felt like I was running with weights on. :(

hey what goes around comes around - hang on in there, next week you'll be breezing along while i'll be curb-clinging and wheezing my guts up. I often think that an important part of training isn't just getting the miles in but learning how to run through adversity. Mental toughness and all :)

You're lucky... I had a **** run last night. It was like all the stress and headwrecking of the last few weeks decided to descend into my legs and it felt like I was running with weights on. :(
    Ive discovered weeks like that are perfectly normal and all part of becoming a serious runner. :) If you are still getting out and doing it in spite of feeling bleugh, then as goofygirl says, thats part of the mental training. We is tough, we is. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ithinkican

So i've been stalking this forum for quite some time now:o

Now i'm just gonna jump right in there, i've registored for DCM, i'm following the novice 1 program and i'm doing the 5mile on sat :D

Thing is Hal voice is haunting me..i'm really bad for doing my long runs:( ( I tend to take walking breaks!)

so i'm hopping on the bandwagon and hope this thread keeps me on track!

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    We is tough, we is. :p
    I had that repeating in my head this evening on my run, lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Personally I would carry on with the program but try and plan a LSR route that takes you past home at key points so that you can bail if it gets to much.

Hi, so due to juggling the program to suit with my cross training day my 9miler was today and was great ! Just took it easy and definitely after 2 miles felt good, thought I was going slow and didn't wear a watch but seems I was doing about 9mins a mile, but felt slow all the same.

Either way its done, legs felt tired and a bit sore this evening, going to the cinema to sit in a cramped seat didn't help !

5.7 miles this morning, 49:30, definitely harder in the morning. I also did my fartlek running. Wasn't quite sure what to do I did it as follows. 20mins normal running, picked up the pace for 5 mins, 2 mins recovery, fartleked for a nother 5 minutes, then jogged home a reasonable pace.

Think that may be my last run before the race on Saturday. Might do 3.3 tomorrow lunch time easy.

If i'm not back on here, best of luck to everyone doing the adidas 5 miler, hope you reach your goals. I myself am going for sub 40 mins, so fingers crossed, have only maintained 8 min miles in runs a couple of times, but one of those times was for the first 7 of the wexford half, so hopefully I've improved a little since then.

Got out for a (just under) 5 mile run today. I ache all over from the physio but my legs are better, woo hoo! 40 minutes, but I didnt do strides or fartlek as Im only getting myself back. I count the steep hills as a form of fartlek anyway. :)

Reading this thread you can really see the progress with everyone, it keeps me motivated seeing how yere doing.

Oh and howdy Ithinkican welcome to the club. :)

Best of luck OI, I'll be thinking of you flying around the Phoenix Park as I do my leisurely 11 miles on Sat.
    Have you ran the Phoenix Park route before?

Sub430 wrote: »
    Best of luck OI, I'll be thinking of you flying around the Phoenix Park as I do my leisurely 11 miles on Sat.
    Have you ran the Phoenix Park route before?

thanks sub430, i really looking forward to it, my second race ever! I've never run in the phoenix park before so it should be really interesting, especially with the crowds. Last I saw, 5300 was the latest figure on numbers doing the race :eek:!. Some say its quite hilly, others say its not so bad, i'll let you know on Saturday. Although, might get an elevation profile from memoscemo later today. Meno if you are reading this, there is no pressure by the way, just if its handy for you.

Best of luck with your lsr on Saturday, we're getting into the high mileage now eh? I ran 11 miles last Sunday, it was grand. When you think about it, the longest training run will be 20 miles, so we are over half way there. woohoo. And with only 4 weeks of the 18 week programme gone (virtual back slapping all around). That last lsr gave me real confidence.

I used to live beside the Phoenix Park so know it well, looking at the map of the run there is one tough hill but it's more long than steep. It's from around mile 2.5 to around mile 3. If you're used to hills it should not be a problem though when I did the half, that hill had to be run twice. The second time was eh, challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Sub430 wrote: »
    I used to live beside the Phoenix Park so know it well, looking at the map of the run there is one tough hill but it's more long than steep. It's from around mile 2.5 to around mile 3. If you're used to hills it should not be a problem though when I did the half, that hill had to be run twice. The second time was eh, challenging.

Also the Kyber Road part is downhill !

Good info guys, thanks, anyone know will they be selling coffee there, I had a really good training run one day on the back of a strong coffee so I'm thinking double espresso could be just da job before kick off.

• Advertisement

No idea dude.
    There is a Centra on Parkgate St about a minute walk from the main Phoenix Park gates so you can fill your boots there.

Advertisement