Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Never even knew this thread existed!! The athletics forum is just so big now it's impossible to keep up.
    Anyway just want to join up if possible. Planning on running DCM09. On week 3 of HH novice plan. Ran a half marathon 2 weeks ago so in decent shape,skipped the first 3 weeks of plan as I had been doing long runs since May. Ran 4 miles last night on a wood trail - beautiful night for it. Long run is 9 miles on sat morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Welcome aboard buck65, best of luck with training, you are starting from a good base

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

right it's decision time for me..... DCM '09 or not! I'm in pretty good shape fitness wise but I'm concerned I don't have enough mileage in the legs & wondering whether it may be too late to embark on one of the HH plans to up the mileage.

I've looked at some of the training plans and would need to jump into them at week 5.

In terms of recent runs etc most have been in the region of 3-5 mile (2/3 times weekly), recently did a sub 21 min in the Farmleigh 5k & am aiming for c39 mins in Saturdays Race Series 5 miler.

More generally i am 31 years young and have the time to commit to a training plan - question is - is it too late from a training point of view?

Any views appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Hi SOH32,

We're the same age so I might as well tell you where I am at the moment and see if it helps.
    Last 3 weeks I have been averaging 20 miles
    Previous 6 weeks averaging about 12 and about 10 miles for the prior 6 weeks so I have been consistently running for the last 16 weeks and feel the training is going well - not too much, not too little, just right.

You will need to be well disciplined and bring your running from 2/3 times a week to 4/5 times a week. I'm up to 5 days running now. If you're happy with that then why not?

Right back to our scheduled training.
    Did 3 miles today, I think the fartlek worked - if it's goal is to make your legs know that they did some work!

Tried to keep today's 3 miles at around 10m pace.

3m in 29:50 Avg HR 139, max 151

Looking forward to a rest tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sub430 wrote: »

Looking forward to a rest tomorrow.

I totally agree. For the past few weeks I've been dying to get out and run on my rest days but not today. I really really need the rest today. My legs are very tired

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bally8 wrote: »
    My legs are very tired
    I hope amadeus wont mind me saying, but listen to your body. Dont be afraid to take an extra rest day if your legs are tired. Pushing hard when you are like that drains you (speaking from experience). A rest day can be more beneficial, youll catch up on a stronger week.

You're right Oyrx. Im going to do a cross training walk tomorrow and hopefully I will be rested enough to tackle the 9 miler on Sunday morning.

11mile LSR done, went well, quite humid out there but ran down by the canal so there was a nice breeze coming off it.

Decided to test out my "race strategy" :rolleyes: on this one so took a gel at 6 miles (too soon??). In the race I see myself taking one at 6, 12 and 18 or is this too much? Anyway the gel went down well (Strawberry Banana GU for those who care) with a good glug of water from my Trusty Steed (Camelbak). I took a drink at 3, 6 and 9 miles to mimic the stations in the race.

Miles 3 and 4 were the hardest, long straight stretch that seemed neverending.

Splits for miles 1 to 9 were between 9:52 and 10:18, felt I had a bit left with 2 miles to go so increased the pace, with one mile to go I legged it!

Mile 10 - 8:51
    Mile 11 - 8:04

Is finishing quickly on an LSR pure bravado for a novice or is it worthwhile gaffer?

11miles in 1:47:53 Avg HR 155, Max 180

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Decided to test out my "race strategy" :rolleyes: on this one so took a gel at 6 miles (too soon??). In the race I see myself taking one at 6, 12 and 18 or is this too much? Anyway the gel went down well (Strawberry Banana GU for those who care) with a good glug of water from my Trusty Steed (Camelbak). I took a drink at 3, 6 and 9 miles to mimic the stations in the race.
    I used 2 gels during my half (at miles 5 and 10), and plan to do similar in the full (5, 10, 15, 20, possibly 23), so I think taking one every 6 miles sounds about right given that you're faster. Taking one every 5 miles during my half meant taking one at about 52 minutes and at about 1:45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

First of all WELL DONE to everyone who ran such fantastic times in the 5-miler today! I, on the other hand, went out for the most horrendous nine-miler of my life: mostly on trails, 24C heat, 1000m altitude, 1119ft ascent/1191ft descent. I struggled to maintain 11 minute miles.

By the end of it I was SO warm that I threw myself in a nearby clump of dewy bushes and starting rolling around like a dog to get any possible water on my face and limbs. (Don't worry - there was nobody around to see)

After having a great start to the week, I am now wondering how the hell I'm ever going to run a marathon, and how I ever possibly thought this was a good idea.

• Advertisement

Completed my 9 miles this morning and yippie I survived it!:D. I did 9 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking throughout and came home in 1:31:38. Delighted with myself.

Sorry to hear it was so tough for you goofygirl, I did my whole run on mostly flat ground so it was much easier. Have to say I laughed out loud at your rolling around the ground at the end. All I can say is we all have tough days and you will get over this run and will be lining up for the marathon fully prepared in October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Completed my 9 miles this morning and yippie I survived it!:D. I did 9 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking throughout and came home in 1:31:38. Delighted with myself.

Sorry to hear it was so tough for you goofygirl, I did my whole run on mostly flat ground so it was much easier. Have to say I laughed out loud at your rolling around the ground at the end. All I can say is we all have tough days and you will get over this run and will be lining up for the marathon fully prepared in October

Well done Bally8 - Was hoping to do mine today but the legs are fecked from yesterday. Did 10miles in total yesterday between walking 5 miles to the start line and back to the train station and also doing the 5 mile run.

Very nicely done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Is finishing quickly on an LSR pure bravado for a novice or is it worthwhile gaffer?

11miles in 1:47:53 Avg HR 155, Max 180

Well done, nice run there. Finishing LSRs fast is def a good thing - it shows you still have something left in the legs (which is great) and also it gets your body used to fast running on fatigued muscles. Generally I wouldn't advise a balls out sprint in case you pull something but picking it up to PMP for teh last mile or two is great (they are called fast finish LSRs). Not this week but next I am thinking about throwing in a progression run, which is another variant.

On the whole fatigue thing by all means do listen to your body. If you're cream crackered then grab a duvet day, this is supposed to be a hobby. But don't make it a habit (one skipped run easily becomes two, becomes a missed week becomes I'll do the marathon next year) and try and differentiate between the normal aches and tiredness of good training and more serious pains from injury.

You know how it works!

Great running from the reports this week though, especially on the LSRs and 5 mile race

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||
    Rainbow|||
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

Sub430|||
    Rainbow| 4 + race | 20 | 80.5 | Rather happy with 5 mile PB :D
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Sub430|||
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|24|79|What a week. The highs and the lows! Speedwork was great,LSR was hellish.

And the plan...

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|5 m w 5*100m strides|3 m run|rest|cross|10

(Link to original here)

LSR takes a step up to 10 this week (drops back to 7 next though). Don't get too hung up on the pace or HR of your LSR. This far out they could be anything from bang on your PMP to a few minutes slower. It really doesn't matter, they are just about clocking time on your feet - believe it or not the distance is almost irrelevant! The key thing is getting your body adapted to spending extended periods of time on the roads running. From that perspective you should be making these LSRs mini dress rehersals. Run them on roads, not grass. Take along the drink / gels you'll use on the day (now is the time to experiment, not the last weekend in Oct!). Wear the same shoes (brand / model) that you'll have on teh day. The same t shirt, shorts - everything! When you get to teh start line you want to be utterly at home and comfortable with everything you have and that comfort gets built now.

Oh and strides are back (yay!)

Wow, you two were quick off teh mark!!

RK, excellent work on the PB. You're really flying now, bit of a poster girl for teh progress that determination can bring.

GG - I lolled at teh rolling in teh bush thing :D

Sub430|||
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|3+race|17.5|105|adidas 5 mile 37:32
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

loved every minute of the race and was delighted with my time and 7:30 mile pace. The consistency in the training over last few weeks is paying off. Also I train on a lot of hills and that really benefitted me in the Phoenix park. I'm really encouraged by the result though and motivated going into week 5.

Really have to plan my training well now though. I have a load of stuff coming up.

• Advertisement

Right, serious post time...

I'm doing this because when I ran my first marathon I depended on teh help of total strangers on the RunnersWorld website. Now that I'm a little bit less wet behind the ears I'm looking to pass on whatever wee bit of experience I have in teh hope it helps you avoid my mistakes. And when you're three or four years in I hope you'll be doing the same to some other bunch of novices.

So I'm not doing this for any ulterior motives!

But... MrsA does work for a charity. And they are finding it really hard to fundraise at the minute - for obvious reasons. Now I'm not a great believer in the whole idea that if you run you must fundraise. But I know a lot of people do raise money when they do thier first marathon. So if you are thinking about raising a bit of cash for a really (really) worthy cause drop me a PM and I'll fill you in on who they are and what they do. And if you want to take it further you can then make contact directly with her. Or, if you want to help but don't want to fundraise yourself click on teh link in my sig :)

It's not a big deal though so please (please please!) don't feel under any pressure.

loved every minute of the race and was delighted with my time and 7:30 mile pace. The consistency in the training over last few weeks is paying off. Also I train on a lot of hills and that really benefitted me in the Phoenix park. I'm really encouraged by the result though and motivated going into week 5.

That's pretty quick. It's early days yet but I've been thinking from your training times that you might be being a little conservative in your target time for the marathon?

It's just very hard to gauge at the moment. That was my second race ever and I was predicting sub40. I wasn't being stupidly modest or like the kid in school who says he doesn't study but does 3 hours a night and aces his exams. The prediction was based on a number of things like, it was only two weeks ago that I ran my first sub 8 min training run barely, over 3 miles. Also I didn't know how congested it would be up there, and it was, but I still ducked and dived through the first mile in 7 mins 4.

But where I train has a serious hill and plenty of long drags in it and when I got to the park I found it very manageable as a result, downhill for a lot of it and flat. Also, as it was my second race ever, I didn't know how much the adrenaline would effect my time, plus being dragged along by other runners. Then I had a sprint finish cause the clock was at 37:50 (37:32 was chip time), and I thought I could break clock time 38.

I just don't want people to think that I am being dishonest about my predictions with the intention of destroying goal times. I suppose what I am trying to say is that this is all very new to me. Anywho, about the consevative prediction for marathon, I hope to go sub4, but when I throw my 5 mile time into Macmillan it says 3:40. Is this realistic? I don't think so. I love Phoenix park though and can't wait for the 10 miler next month. I'm predicting 1:20, Macmillan says 1:18!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Sub430|||
    Mr Marenghi|4+race|24|70| adidas 5mile in 39mins - PB
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

Loved the 5mile and like said above, I think the consistency is also paying off !

Sub430|4|23|83.5
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

Loved the 5mile and like said above, I think the consistency is also paying off !

Well done to all who did the 5 miler, you're doing the allstars proud.:)
    Super time Osnola.
    Pity I can't join ye on the 10 miler or half, clashes with a wedding and a stag.
    Next race will be Longford half, only one I can do pre the DCM itself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sub430|4|23|83.5|
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal|2+race|15|48|Surprised myself with the 5 mile. PB of 56'22"||
    Goofygirl||||

Sub430|4|23|83.5|
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal|2+race|15|48|Surprised myself with the 5 mile. PB of 56'22"|
    Goofygirl|4|24|79|What a week. The highs and the lows! Speedwork was great,LSR was hellish.

I deleted goofy girl in a crossover post.

Thanks sub430, pity you can't make any of the Phoenix park fixtures. Well done to everyone in the adidas 5, you weren't too far behind me mr. Marenghi.

Training gonna be a bit all over the place for me this week. Hope to do lsr on Wednesday cause gonna be pretty tied up the weekend.

Sub430|4|23|83.5|
    oryx|||
    Bally8|4 +a cross training walk|24|84.2|Good week, delighted with my lsr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

I deleted goofy girl in a crossover post.

Thanks sub430, pity you can't make any of the Phoenix park fixtures. Well done to everyone in the adidas 5, you weren't too far behind me mr. Marenghi.

Training gonna be a bit all over the place for me this week. Hope to do lsr on Wednesday cause gonna be pretty tied up the weekend.

Yeah I guess so, but felt very tired during today's run so that extra push has left its mark !

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sub430|4|23|83.5|
    oryx|4|21.66|77.06|Got an extra day in, finally.
    Bally8|4 +a cross training walk|24|84.2|Good week, delighted with my lsr

My week ends on Sunday, so I never get to update till today!

Advertisement