Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

HH Novice II - week 5

3m in 25:57 Avg HR 153 Max 166

Felt good, steady pace, hope I feel as good after strides tomorrow.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I dont want to do the strides, they are horrible:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

If I say I don't like running anymore and want to give up can I stop?? :D:D:D

No you are so not allowed. We are all in this together!!

I couldnt be motivated all day for my run and said at one point that I was giving up, I had changed my mind and didnt want to do this running lark anymore. My boyfriend just laughed at me. I managed to drag myself to the treadmill at 8 and plod through my 3 miles. Some days are just hard

BOOOOO :D
    I'll be doing 3 miles tomorrow but probably on the treadmill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    No you are so not allowed. We are all in this together!!

I couldnt be motivated all day for my run and said at one point that I was giving up, I had changed my mind and didnt want to do this running lark anymore. My boyfriend just laughed at me. I managed to drag myself to the treadmill at 8 and plod through my 3 miles. Some days are just hard

The hard days help to build mental strength, and you'll be more annoyed at yourself later if you skip the run.

/my 2c

BOOOOO :D
    I'll be doing 3 miles tomorrow but probably on the treadmill...

We really should meet up for a run. I can come into Limerick some evening if you are interested.

We really should meet up for a run. I can come into Limerick some evening if you are interested.

I'm planning on doing the plassey 10k route on Sunday morning if you're interested?

I'm planning on doing the plassey 10k route on Sunday morning if you're interested?

Oh I did that race this year its a grand route. Im hoping to do the 10miler on Sunday though but maybe we could do a shorter run some evening next week? I'll PM you about it when I know if I'm around- might be going away for a few days

Oh I did that race this year its a grand route. Im hoping to do the 10miler on Sunday though but maybe we could do a shorter run some evening next week? I'll PM you about it when I know if I'm around- might be going away for a few days

I'm gonna try and stretch the 6 miles to 10 miles but it just depends on how i feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hey everyone, sounds like ye are all going well there, I'm jealous :)

Was pretty drained after the half in Achill and not really able for going out running despite the fact that the anaemia is pretty much under control but hoping to get back at it tomorrow...all things going ok. I'm hoping that the milage I have built up through the last few months will mean I'm not too far behind ye all :) Fingers Crossed :)

Did a three miler two days after Achill and a 4 miler (the one where you had to speed up for the middle two miles) but that is all since Achill. So please --Amadeus--, if you could stick me back on the table....I'm going to sign up for Dublin tonight in case I feel too tired to run in the morning and end up dropping out altogether :(

I dont want to do the strides, they are horrible:(

Oh no they're not, it's the run home after the strides that are the killer!

6 miles with 5 x 100 strides done in 53:41. Avg HR 157. Max 180.

The last mile was the toughest of the whole training so far, I usually run in the mornings but ran last night instead. Don't think the body was too happy to be dragged out this morning after running last night. I won't be doing that again.

Although the run home was torture, the strides were a lot easier, felt more fluid so that's a good sign. :)

Welcome back to McConkey by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Here's something wot was writ about getting into running, training for the DCM and not feeling like a "real" runner.

http://straightouttadublin.blogspot.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

goofygirl wrote: »
    Here's something wot was writ about getting into running, training for the DCM and not feeling like a "real" runner.

http://straightouttadublin.blogspot.com.

You know loadsa big words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Did my 10mile LSR today, wasn't bad only for 1 thing -
    - it rained heavily, I got soaked, shorts were soaking which led to heavy chaffing on my thighs (sorry !) which is really sore !

Also Amadeus can i ask.....my long run is on a Wednesday due to my cross training on Thursdays and other things that make things easier to work it on these days. But I then do my run on a Sat that would have the strides, but since the strides are posted up on a Monday I end up not doing them because by Monday, I've already done my run - this make sense ? So can I figure out the strides myself or something ?

3m easy, thought legs would be stiff after the strides yesterday but they had recovered well. Don't feel as tired as last Thursday :)

3m in 28:10 Avg HR 143 Max 155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Dragged myself out of bed for 6.10am, suffering from a head cold and could hardly stay awake. Did 5 miles (as per program) and suffered a bit -46 mins.
    3 miles on Sat and 10 miles Sunday yippee! Def feeling stronger after training for Achill through May and June. good to have the extra weeks in the legs as I have a wedding on 8th Aug and a week hols in Sept so may miss a few sessions.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No training plan for me this week. Two reasons. Big event on Sunday, and the realisation Ive been seriously overtraining, and I need to pull back. This may mean knocking DCM on the head, but I wont decide for a week or two. But 3 halves, 2 toughguys, 2 tenmilers and a handful of 10ks in my first year running might just be enough without a marathon*. :p

*which I would only be postponing till spring if I do bail out.

I had my first ever enjoyable run yesterday evening :D:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats called the Eureka moment. :) Happy for ya, and wish ya many more.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Thats called the Eureka moment. :) Happy for ya, and wish ya many more.

Fingers Crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

They always come when you least expect them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Also Amadeus can i ask.....my long run is on a Wednesday due to my cross training on Thursdays and other things that make things easier to work it on these days. But I then do my run on a Sat that would have the strides, but since the strides are posted up on a Monday I end up not doing them because by Monday, I've already done my run - this make sense ? So can I figure out the strides myself or something ?

There is no harm in juggling the schedule around - I always do LSRs on a Friday for example. What is important is to hit all the sessions (as many as practical anyway) and maintain the easy / hard pattern.

So if you are doing your LSR on the Wed and cross training on Thur why not do the Monday session (Strides) on the Friday instead?

12m run done, went with a mate who is trying to do the marathon in around 4h30 so that was a help with the pacing as we kept it nice and easy. We ran around pretty hilly backroads, sun was shining one minute then a light rain - perfect conditions for a run, if only one of us had some directional sense, it would have been even better.

Around mile 9, we both looked at each other with the "nothing looks familia" on our mugs. Yep we were lost :o

Decided to run on, do the 12 miles and then work out how to get home. Around the 11 mile mark we saw a familiar landmark, but that landmark turned out to be four miles from home - finished up the 12 miles and then walked the three miles home. That three mile walk was a lot harder than the run :eek:

Anyhoo, 12 miles in 2h02m, 1st 11 miles were between 10 and 11 minutes. Had a bit left in the tank for the last mile so did that in 8m27. All in all an enjoyable run, so much better with a buddy. Took a High 5 gel around mile 7, preferred the GU gels but as the DCM has the High 5s, I may stick with those.

Avg HR 152, Max 182.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Up at 5.30am to beat the heat for the 10 miler. Shuddered down bowl of clagging, gluey porridge. Left house and head onto trail. Had to holler "whoop! whoop!" every couple of hundred yards to warn any lurking bears of my approach. Had to cross train-tracks at one point to get to other side of trail. Big, huge, goods train - 50 carriages long - has been parked overnight and is blocking my route as far as I could see in each direction. Argh. Clambered over the coupling, cover hands in matt black engine oil. As keep running, sweat means oil gets rubbed wherever I touch. Re-emerge out of woods now with black Rambo-style war paint all over limbs. Try to wave casually to couple I see, try to make this appear normal.

All this by 7.45am.

2m recovery run with the missus.

Not as interesting as goofygirl's run (sounded like fun), best thing about it was I could blame my Guiness farts on the cows. Also rediscovered Faithless. Salva Mea could be my new power song.

HH Novice II Week 5 - Done. 26 miles. Good week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sub430 wrote: »
    12m run done,

Anyhoo, 12 miles in 2h02m, 1st 11 miles were between 10 and 11 minutes. Had a bit left in the tank for the last mile so did that in 8m27. All in all an enjoyable run, so much better with a buddy. Took a High 5 gel around mile 7, preferred the GU gels but as the DCM has the High 5s, I may stick with those.

nice one, I got my 12 miler in on Thursday, did you feel it in the legs on the last mile? I really found it tough going and had very heavy legs as I got to the end of the run.

That's really interesting about the high5 gels. I bought some on Friday but just because they were the only ones this particular bike shop had. The ones I got can be taken without water. Do they work for you?

nice one, I got my 12 miler in on Thursday, did you feel it in the legs on the last mile

That's really interesting about the high5 gels. I bought some on Friday but just because they were the only ones this particular bike shop had. The ones I got can be taken without water. Do they work for you?

Cheers fella. No, luckily I was grand for the last mile, I've felt that for the last two long runs (unlike after the strides) I have a bit left in me. I've been doing the slow runs at about a minute over my PMP so maybe that's helped with the last couple of miles - it's either that or the gel?

I don't really know if they make a huge difference as there's no physical boost of energy (then again the wife took one and she swore she could feel rushes - must have been spiked!) but I haven't felt wrecked at the end of the long runs. They must help. I'm going to keep taking them anyway, 2 hours running without anything to eat is a bit crackers methinks.

Well I gotta say that GG wins the prize for the most...errrr...unusual run reports!

Oryx, you have to do what's best and you know what your body is capable of, the marathon ain't going anywhere!

Here's the table, as always. As a group we've clocked up well over 500 miles so far - that's about 60% of teh way around the entire coastline of Ireland!

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||
    Rainbow|||
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

Oryx I've left you on the table for now, it's up to you if you want to come off. If you aren't on but want to be on then just add your name to the table

• Advertisement

And the plan...

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|5 m w 2@LT Pace|3 m run|rest|cross|7

(Link to original here)

LSR takes a drop back to 7 as promised but the rather wonderful LT runs are back. Yes they are bloody painful but they are exceptionally good at training you to cover distance at pace. Trust me, you'll learn to love them :)

Round about now it's not uncommon to start to feel a bit flat about the whole enterprise. You're running fairly high mileages and have been doing so for a while now so the fatigue is going to be kicking in. That's why we have the fallback weeks, to give your body time to adapt. And it's why it is so important to not put yourslef under pressure on the runs. You'll have runs where you feel like you've got lead trainers on and are running through treacle. You'll also have runs where you wonder if there is any point and why are you doing this. Run through it, relax, don't obsess about times, or heart rates or distances or any of that. Just chill and run and it will be allright on the night!

Advertisement