Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||
    Rainbow|4-ish|20|100.5 | Had to pull out of long run after 7 miles, knee pain. :(:mad:
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sub430|||
    Rainbow|||
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|3|22.3|127.3|:mad:
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

not that happy this week, hh had 30 miles for me and 5 sessions, I did have a cold from Thursday on but I could have got a run in today. The mileage is not the worst part though. Ate terribly all week, and drank loads, and smoking again grrrrrr, fresh start tomorrow, clean slate. Delighted to have got my lsr in though. Found it tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Sub430|5|26|109| This week went well
    Rainbow|4-ish|20|100.5 | Had to pull out of long run after 7 miles, knee pain. :(:mad:
    Mr Marenghi|||
    osnola ivax|||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

For anyone who needs a refresher on LT runs - previous post by le boss:

So what am I talking about? On Wed we have a 4 mile run (the midweek runs are going to start stretching now as well). You'll see though that there is 2 @ LT Pace. This means 2 miles run at Lactate Threshold (LT).

Put simply Lactate is a by product of work performed at a cellular level. As your muscles work harder teh amount of lactate increases. Ata certain level more is produced than can be cleared away (lactate turnpoint or lactate threshold). After this the lactate accumulates and - over time - this will compromise your performance. The higher your Lactate Threashold the faster you can run before lactate accumulates and you increase your threashold by (among other things) doing LT pace runs.

Your LT pace is typically either the fastest pace you can maintain for an hour or your 10 mile race pace. For a more detailed explanation check here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Sub430|5|26|109|This week went well|
    Rainbow|4ish|20|100.5|Had to pull out of long run after 7 miles, knee pain|
    Mr Marenghi|5|21|91|had a great week, felt good|
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl||||

Amadeus,

I'm using the following plan:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/inter1.html

Now this week we are heading into week 6 of the programme but I was actually gonna skip to week 7 then do week 8 next week. These contain 14 and 15 mile lsr's consecutively. Then I was gonna have a kinda taper week in the actual week 8 to prepare for the 10 miler Frank duffy. After that week I'll join the programme again on week 9,Which will be a fall back week. How does this sound?. I know this means 3 tough weeks, but I kinda had a fall back week this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|24|103|hohum just carrying along

Amadeus - so glad to hear that it's normal to start feeling a bit flat around this time. Certainly for me the novelty of "oh my God I'm training for a marathon!" has worn out and now it's just "oh well, out the door again". Not only that, but it's been so warm here - hitting 30C during the day - that I've been getting up at 6.00am (or 5.30am for the 10 miler) to get my runs in. And being in the mountains I had to be mindful of bears that early in the morning! Luckily all I came across were some deer :)

Have signed up for a half-marathon for 16 August. According to HH plan it's a 13 miler that way so I figured it might as well do it somewhere with people to hand me drinks every 3 miles and cheer me on.

Oh yeah I've also shifted my goal downwards from any particular time to simply finishing on the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

oryx|||
    Bally8|4|22.9|107.1|Really tough horrible week but very happy with lsr
    Munster_Gal||||||

+1 on the hearing that feeling flat is normal for around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

oryx|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    McConkey|4|19.51|48.81|8.53 miles instead of 10 due to work-time clash|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Shadyladee

Hi there! wondering if it was ok with amadeus and the rest of you could I hop on board with this thread??? (following a suggestion by Goofygirl!) Dublin will be my first marathon too and I have been keeping a training log here but I could do with as much support as possible :)

• Advertisement

The more the merrier!

Hal Higdon Novice II - Week 6

3m run in 24:04 - finished quickly, a mild sensation of shin splints came on at the end - will have to keep an eye on that.

Avg HR 154 Max 178

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Only got out 3 times last week, went to see Leonard Cohen in Dublin and had a few pints and voila sick for 2 days! Anyhoo
    ran 3 miles easy, 5 miles (had to walk a bit, still sick) 10 miles (1st half in 46 mins - my sister joined me for the last 5 and ran that under 45!) Total (a disappointing) 18 miles.
    Any chance of getting on the board?

Did 3 miles this morning, legs tired today. Will run 12 at the Weekend as I have a wedding next weekend.

Motivation at a new low. Did 3 miles last night, resenting every step. It was 28C and felt like a big energy-less blob...

goofygirl wrote: »
    Motivation at a new low. Did 3 miles last night, resenting every step. It was 28C and felt like a big energy-less blob...

Considering the fact that dcm will take place in October in Ireland, I would imagine that training in hot conditions right now to race in cold conditions is going to really benefit you.

Do you travel to banff much from Calgary, or visit jesper, you are a lucky duck to have all that on your doorstep. My wife became very unwell when we went to visit lake moraine on honeymoon. tWas no joke speeding down that mountain in a left hand drive car trying to find nearest village. Doctor we did find was nicest guy in the world though. Forget the name of village. Good times!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

oryx|2|12|?|Doesnt really count, 10miles was tough guy...|
    Munster_Gal||||||
    McConkey|4|19.51|48.81|8.53 miles instead of 10 due to work-time clash|

Have a slight sprain, and an obligatory rest week after tg, am too battered to walk, let alone run. I have also overtrained, I could feel it on Sunday. So, will stay with you guys in posting, and make my decision on DCM next week.

And Oi, lads, whats all this pessimisim? You all sound fed up. Your halfway to doing a marathon! Thats amazing, youve the groundwork done, dont let my flunking out or your own pain stop you now, youll be exhilarated in October, I promise!! :p

Banff not so much. I lived in Fernie for a year and a half so go back down there at any chance though :) I had last week off work so was down there which is why I was dodging bears on my early morning runs. It's such a fantastic part of the world. I've applied for residency so fingers crossed!

I'm also hoping that training at 1000m will help, but don't know if this is high enough to count or not.

Oryx wrote: »
    And Oi, lads, whats all this pessimisim? You all sound fed up. Your halfway to doing a marathon! Thats amazing, youve the groundwork done, dont let my flunking out or your own pain stop you now, youll be exhilarated in October, I promise!! :p

Wise words Oryx - it's just a stage, we'll all be flying again next week.

A MESSAGE FOR THE BEST GROUPSSH OF MARATHONS RUNNERS ON BOARDSSH
    WHERE ARE YOU, LET'S BE AVIN YOU, COME ON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8JLkwzpd0 :D

Are you writing a report on the TG, would love to read it - might put our moans into perspective ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sub430 wrote: »
    Are you writing a report on the TG, would love to read it - might put our moans into perspective ;)
    Wasnt going to, I doubt I could do it justice. Just search for nettle warrior 2009, or tough guy summer 2009 in youtube and a picture will paint a thousand words. :D

Oryx wrote: »

Thanks Oryx, I suppose amadeus mentioned a kind of a flat period as the mileage increases. I think my main problem was the huge buzz I got from running the 5 miler last Saturday week. I found it a little tougher to get back into the training last week and sort of fell off the rails a bit.

But I feel great again this week, really motivated again, had a great session this morning before work including 2 miles LT and finished strongly.

I don't know if this is right or wrong but I find myself thinking about the adidas race series a lot, and setting good times, and hopefully destroying my half marathon PB. But these races are not the main goal, so maybe I should just chill out on them a bit.

• Advertisement

I don't know if this is right or wrong but I find myself thinking about the adidas race series a lot, and setting good times, and hopefully destroying my half marathon PB. But these races are not the main goal, so maybe I should just chill out on them a bit.

My two cents OI, I'm doing the Longford half but might just do it as a LSR/PMP - really not bothered about a PB in it, my goal is to ahem, enjoy, my first marathon and then have a go at running a faster marathon next time (if I actually do end up enjoying it :rolleyes:)

My two cents OI, I'm doing the Longford half but might just do it as a LSR/PMP - really not bothered about a PB in it

we'll see ;)

Oh we will, I shall sit on the line until my PB time passes just to prove a point so there :P

2 hours 10 mins? I've been keeping a close eye on you current form and you could crap all over that time.

I'm only joking, but you know the way, with the people and the excitement and bib number etc, it might be hard to contain yourself, and you are capable of a very good time. Don't know how hilly longford is though.

And dare I say, bearing in mind everything you have said about enjoying it, a slightly conservative dcm goal / name.

I want this post bookmarked for reference when you report on the longford half. :D

I should beat that time so it will be a PB without killing myself but I don't want to go all out and then have the next weeks running to suffer. Bigger fish to fry and all that malarkey.

At the start I would have been happy with 430, I still would be at this present time. Still 12 weeks to go for all that to change though. I've always been injury prone so that's my biggest worry. Right hamstring is feeling very tight again so off for a massage on Thursday - hopefully that will sort it out.

Once a post is over a month old you cannot refer back to it apparently - they're the rules I just made up. ;)

I think it's a good idea to have some other races before the marathon, something to look forward to. It's a lot easier to think "three weeks to the half-marathon" rather than "another twelve weeks of mileage before anything happens".

I should beat that time so it will be a PB without killing myself but I don't want to go all out and then have the next weeks running to suffer. Bigger fish to fry and all that malarkey.

At the start I would have been happy with 430, I still would be at this present time. Still 12 weeks to go for all that to change though. I've always been injury prone so that's my biggest worry. Right hamstring is feeling very tight again so off for a massage on Thursday - hopefully that will sort it out.

Once a post is over a month old you cannot refer back to it apparently - they're the rules I just made up. ;)

yeah, that's all fair enough fella

I was saying to menoscemo up at the 5 miler that the 3 of us seem to be at a very similar level, started at approx the same time,, and come from a very similar domograph, you'd be kinda gauging each others performance and relating it back to your own, naturally enough I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hey lads, can i throw in my two cents worth - ignore at will. I think if you are doing races between now and the marathon you should really race them. If you see them as important stepping stones to the big race you don't have to hit PB's you just aim to hit the times that sync with your goal time for the marathon. Also, you're doing so much training, it's very satisfying to put it into practice and see how well you are doing.

asimonov wrote: »
    Hey lads, can i throw in my two cents worth - ignore at will. I think if you are doing races between now and the marathon you should really race them. If you see them as important stepping stones to the big race you don't have to hit PB's you just aim to hit the times that sync with your goal time for the marathon. Also, you're doing so much training, it's very satisfying to put it into practice and see how well you are doing.

I agree with this 100%, tbh, once i stick on a number anyway, I would find it impossible to hold back. Also I have only ever done 2 races so I don't have PB's as such. But one was a half marathon and I'm pretty confident I can knock 10 minutes off that time if it's not too hot. The Phoenix park is a pretty fast course.

• Advertisement

A tough 5 miler this morning, really struggled and had to walk at 4 miles, nothing in the tank - bad day. Feeling the fatigue. Still it's done - rest day tomorrow thank god!

Advertisement