Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

LT run done.

2 warm up miles at around nine minute mile pace were fine then into the LT part. I realised my pacing is a bit rubbish as tried to do 8 minute miles but varied wildly between 7:30 and 8:10 pacing according to the watch.
    Mile 3 in 7:51 was a lot harder than mile 4 in 7:41.
    I think I could feel lactic acid build up in my legs for mile 5 (could be all in my head) but this disappeared in the last mile.

Overall it was a tough session, look forward to a easy recovery run tomorrow. Starting to look forward to the Thursday run and the long slow runs. Tuesday and Wednesday are the hard days.

6m in 52:10. Avg HR 157 Max 177

Shin splints didn't reappear thankfully - did the LT part on grass.

3m recovery - 31m21 - Avg HR 145.
    Super morning, sunny but nice and fresh. Perfect for running.
    Carlsberg don't do running conditions but if they did..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Off topic but you might find it a laugh, the first week or so of the training was pretty bad, I missed a lot of sessions, this is why, we were working on this ad -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AJYKbfUHbI

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Off my feet until Monday, according to the physio I've got an issue with my hamstring and the tendon connecting it to the knee. 3 miles then, and I'm back with the physio next Tuesday. Blargle.

Off my feet until Monday, according to the physio I've got an issue with my hamstring and the tendon connecting it to the knee. 3 miles then, and I'm back with the physio next Tuesday. Blargle.

That's unlucky RK but try and look on the bright side, it is a bank holiday weekend, a good weekend for an enforced rest.

Just back from a massage myself, hopefully sorted my hamstring out, if pain is indicative of success then I should be ok. Soooooooo tired though, only 7pm and I could certainly nap but there's grass to be cut :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Went to physio myself today with my ankle, was told I have to stay off it for the next 3-4 weeks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

RK - that sux but catching it and treating it early means that it's just a hiccup, you'll be fine. Dunno if this will cheer you up or not but I was reading your log and I saw that your knee acted up walking home from a night out. I wasn't sure of teh distance you'd walked so I googled the name of teh bar :eek: I hope MrsA doesn't check my Internet history!!!

As for the rest of you you all look to be getting on very well without me lately! Sub & Buck, it's those tough days that'll stand to you come October. It's easy to bottle it, especially on wet, miserable days but consistency really is key here.

As for build up races - race the dam things! You are probably fitter than you've eer been, enjoy it and set a few PBs. And a 10 mile or half in a few weeks breaks up the long (long) stretch to October. One of the reasons for the dip in motivation around now is that you have enough weeks done that your legs will be feeling tired pretty much all the time but the end still seems so far away. A shorter race on teh horizon breaks it up nicely and keeps you bubbling along really well. And before you know it we'll be tapering and then shortly after it'll all be over...!

RK - that sux but catching it and treating it early means that it's just a hiccup, you'll be fine. Dunno if this will cheer you up or not but I was reading your log and I saw that your knee acted up walking home from a night out. I wasn't sure of teh distance you'd walked so I googled the name of teh bar :eek: I hope MrsA doesn't check my Internet history!!!
    rofl :D:pac:

The physio said pretty much the same thing, she said it shouldn't be too much of a hit especially because I've done the half already so I already had a relatively decent level of fitness. Hopefully this heals quickly...

As for build up races - race the dam things!

Sir, yes sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

3 easy miles this morning, felt a surge of speed but held back - 12 miles tomorrow! There is a nearby 4mile race this evening but after much toing and froing have decided to skip it in case it impacts on tomorrows long run.
    As I said I have a wedding next weekend in Sligo so taking a break then- so gotta do the 12 this weekend.
    Still feeling a bit tired in the legs, its kinda a nice feeling though! Anyone agree?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Is it also normal to feel cranky and tired most of the time? This week has been tough for me, as well as training and working full time there's another project I'm working on which needs to be finished by early next week so I'm putting in hours on that every night too. AAARRGH! I feel like I'm back doing my finals this week, it's at the stage where I'm wondering where I'm going to find time to go to the supermarket or wash my clothes and stuff.

goofygirl wrote: »
    Is it also normal to feel cranky and tired most of the time? This week has been tough for me, as well as training and working full time there's another project I'm working on which needs to be finished by early next week so I'm putting in hours on that every night too. AAARRGH! I feel like I'm back doing my finals this week, it's at the stage where I'm wondering where I'm going to find time to go to the supermarket or wash my clothes and stuff.

I havent been under much pressure and I feel tired and cranky, so I guess its normal !

I havent been under much pressure and I feel tired and cranky, so I guess its normal !

Tired yes but that results in the most peaceful sleep. I'm only cranky when hungry, with this running I'm always eating so no crankiness :)

9m LSR done.
    Miles 1 to 7 pace between 9:40 and 10:20
    Mile 8 in 8:55
    Legged it to the finish and ended up doing mile 9 in 7:06.

Think the strides are definitely helping, felt good for the last two miles but to be honest for the last 100m I was fairly wobbly, form had gone out the window.

I planned to take a gel at 6m but forgot the plan and ended up taking it at halfway. It was a High 5 with caffeine that I found to be much better than the ones last week without the caffeine. I don't drink tea or coffee so that is probably why. Caffeine plus Tiesto made miles 5 and 6 a pleasure.

Happy with the run, bring on the weekend..

9m in 1:25:11

Sub430 wrote: »
    Caffeine plus Tiesto made miles 5 and 6 a pleasure.
    Nothing with Tiesto is a pleasure :pac:

Nothing with Tiesto is a pleasure :pac:

Philistine. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Heigh ho everyone. :)

Sorry to hear youre injured RK, been there done that, its not a nice feeling. But youll be grand, tis all part and parcel of the joy of running.:)

Took a rest week this week, just got out this morning for a 6k run. Did it slow, legs are fine but overall Im still tired. Im gonna do a few catch up weeks, probably wont stay with the plan to the letter, but will try and keep the mileage building similar to you all.

Sub430 wrote: »
    I planned to take a gel at 6m but forgot the plan and ended up taking it at halfway. It was a High 5 with caffeine that I found to be much better than the ones last week without the caffeine. I don't drink tea or coffee so that is probably why. Caffeine plus Tiesto made miles 5 and 6 a pleasure.

Happy with the run, bring on the weekend..

9m in 1:25:11

This is interesting, I dont take caffeine at all, so they might be a good boost !

Oddly enough, I'm a serious caffeine addict but prefer to take gels with no caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oryx wrote: »
    Im gonna do a few catch up weeks, probably wont stay with the plan to the letter, but will try and keep the mileage building similar to you all.

Does that mean you have decided to do the marathon after all Oryx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Oddly enough, I'm a serious caffeine addict but prefer to take gels with no caffeine.
    I'd be the same as you , tried a few gels and didnt like most of them .

• Advertisement

Amadeus or somebody, can you explain LT pace ? or link to somethng that does ?

Not sure I understand it exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|6 m w 2@PMP Pace|3 m run|rest|cross|12

(Link to original here)

I'm on hols this week so this is a flying visit, LSR up to 12 (getting serious now, get those gels and energy drinks sorted, vasaline if you chaff, get into the routine). PMP (Planned Marathon Pace) makes it's debut as well - 2 miles really slow then 2 miles at whatever speed you intend to race on the day and 2 miles slow as a cool down. 6 miles is a tidy enough distance.

LT is explained a cpl pages back, sry can't look now (really have to shoot) but it is in here!

Enjoy and I'll see you in a week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi||||
    osnola ivax||||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|

Sub430||||
    Rainbow|1|3|103.5|Did I ever mention how much I *hate* being injured?|
    Mr Marenghi||||
    osnola ivax||||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sub430||||
    Mr Marenghi||||
    osnola ivax|4|24.1|151.4|missed my 14 mile lsr due to weather/drunkeness/chest infection
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Shadyladee

Sub430||||
    Mr Marenghi||||
    osnola ivax|4|24.1|151.4|missed my 14 mile lsr due to weather/drunkeness/chest infection
    oryx|||
    Bally8|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|
    Shadyladee|4|17.8|105.33|this wasnt a good week for me, hope the coming week is better!

Im sorry to hear about the few injuries affecting some of you, hope you all get back on track as soon as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sub430||||
    Mr Marenghi||||
    oryx|||
    Bally8|4+cross training walk|23|130.1|Good week
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|
    Shadyladee|4|17.8|105.33|this wasnt a good week for me, hope the coming week is better!

23 miles + last weeks lsr run on Monday = 33 miles for the week and legs that are crying out for rest.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Sub430|5|24|135|Week went well, think massage has helped hamstring.
    Mr Marenghi||||
    oryx|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|

3 miles today without any gadgets.

Sub430|5|24|135|Week went well, think massage has helped hamstring.|
    Mr Marenghi|6|12|103|missed a run at the weekend due to the hangover from hell ! |
    oryx|||
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Total miles ran last week 23 (how can I get onto the weekly board!!Anyone)

Did 12 on Saturday, struggled bigtime, was tired as early as mile 4 and hit a hill shortly afterwards where I was left behind by my 2 mates. Regrouped after but I had to walk at mile 10 and let them go. Jogged for the last 2 miles and came in just under 2 hours.

A light week ahead thankfully.

Advertisement