Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|5|24|135|Week went well, think massage has helped hamstring.|
    Rainbow|1|3|103.5|Did I ever mention how much I *hate* being injured?|
    Mr Marenghi|6|12|103|missed a run at the weekend due to the hangover from hell ! |
    osnola ivax|4|24.1|151.4|missed my 14 mile lsr due to weather/drunkeness/chest infection
    oryx|||
    Bally8|4+cross training walk|23|130.1|Good week
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|
    Shadyladee|4|17.8|105.33|this wasnt a good week for me, hope the coming week is better!
    Buck65||23||

there ya go me bucko, fill in between the vertical lines, I've put in your mileage for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|5|24|135|Week went well, think massage has helped hamstring.|
    Rainbow|1|3|103.5|Did I ever mention how much I *hate* being injured?|
    Mr Marenghi|6|12|103|missed a run at the weekend due to the hangover from hell ! |
    osnola ivax|4|24.1|151.4|missed my 14 mile lsr due to weather/drunkeness/chest infection
    oryx|||
    Bally8|4+cross training walk|23|130.1|Good week
    Munster_Gal||||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|124|
    Shadyladee|4|17.8|105.33|this wasnt a good week for me, hope the coming week is better!
    Buck65|4|23|120|tough week , tired

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

4m done. Warm out there.
    36m58 Avg HR 147

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Doing last week's runs this week, on the request of my physio. So that's 3 miles (done yesterday), 5 miles, 3 miles and a 7 mile LSR. Thankfully I don't have to take much more time off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

12miles tomoro...nervous.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

12miles tomoro...nervous.........

I'm getting totally freaked out by long runs, I seem to be getting a bit of a mental block on them. They are very different to any of the other runs in terms of preparation, time planning etc. I have a 16 miler planned for Friday and Im planning it already: banana / porridge* contact lenses* plasters for nipples* charged garmin* hrm* gels* water* compression shorts* compression socks*

* check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

I think I'll start getting freaked out when the runs start going over half-marathon distance.

Isn't it funny though all the highs and the lows we've all been through? Last week I was absolutely knackered but took advantage of the long weekend by doing absolutely nothing: well, when I say that I mean I did a 9 miler, a 7 miler and went for a swim but for the rest of the time sat around watching The Wire with my housemates. I'm rejuvenated today!

goofygirl wrote: »
    I think I'll start getting freaked out when the runs start going over half-marathon distance.

Isn't it funny though all the highs and the lows we've all been through? Last week I was absolutely knackered but took advantage of the long weekend by doing absolutely nothing: well, when I say that I mean I did a 9 miler, a 7 miler and went for a swim but for the rest of the time sat around watching The Wire with my housemates. I'm rejuvenated today!

Ah, "The Wire"

yeah we bought the 5 series box set and are half way through series 2 so please no spoilers anyone! I'm getting quite obsessed with it. I drive an SUV with tinted windows (that sounds more impressive than it is, it's a 1991 beater and the windows were already tinted when I bought it) so now I feel I should start cruising around slowly and menacingly with hip-hop blaring

I want to see pics of that, sounds mad :pac:

• Advertisement

Snap on buying the box set - we're in the middle of series 4, series 2 was probably the weakest so if you're enjoying that you're in for a real treat from series 3!

----

Back to running, I haven't really freaked out about the really long runs yets, 14 miler this weekend so it's just an extra mile and back added to my last LSR. Easy peasy Japanesey :cool:. Hope I'm so tough come Sunday :eek:

Sub430 wrote: »
    Snap on buying the box set - we're in the middle of series 4, series 2 was probably the weakest so if you're enjoying that you're in for a real treat from series 3!

Loads of people have said this but I loved Series 2 on the docks, maybe its because I called in sick one day and watched it all in one go !

So far in real life I've met Carcetti and his advisor ! (they dont appear till series 3 or 4)

Maybe one day i'll meet Omar, that'll be a day I run fast !

Back to running - was in Runways on Parnell St today and they recommended some gels so gonna try them for the 1st time on the 12miler tomorrow !

Good luck on the 12 miler marenghi.
    Got some gels too from Wiggle , looking forward to trying them.
    Ran 6 miles today - was fresh - had a break Sun, Mon , and Tues. Did it in 52 mins. Lovely morning too. For all the complaining we have about the weather, most of my runs have been in decent weather!!
    Was planning on doing a 3 miler on Friday but felt so good today might stretch it to 9/10 (this was meant to be a rest week for me) feel the more LSR in the bank the better. Hmm opinions?

So far in real life I've met Carcetti !

He's from Drumcondra - very convincing American accent

7 miles this morning, have to agree with buck, most of my runs have been in decent weather, the rain seems to come from about 10am onwards. This morning was beautiful, sunny, no clouds, even needed me shades! :cool:

2 mile warm up, 3 at PMP and 2 slow home.
    Time 1:05:59. Avg HR 147

Last mile was tough, not having had brekkie more than likely the reason.
    Feels like there is a blister starting on my arch, will have to watch that :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Last week was a rest week for me and was sick Sunday so no lsr. Cos of all the stuff Ive been doing, Ive missed all the pmp strides fartlek stuff you guys have been doing. Ah well.

Did my first proper run since Sunday week (tm on Monday dont count, and sat was just 4 miles easy) I say proper cos it was the first time I felt good running in ages.

Just gonna see if I can keep up with you now!

12miler done in 1hr and 53mins.
    Wasnt too bad but was glad to see the end of it, great evening for it too. Tried a gel and it didnt make me sick or anything, not exactly sure what benefit it was but it didnt do any harm anyway.

The feeling of satisfaction after a long run, nothing beats it !

I realised today I have missed the deadline ofr the Adidas 10mile, had a maxed out credit card and was relying on the late reg, but apparently they're full and there is no late reg ! Any suggestions anybody ? I know its my own fault but I really wanna run it.

Also, part of the Phoenix Park was closed off (around the S bends) because they found a womans body there today about 3.30pm, not much in the news about it though, just a post on RTE website.

4m in 36:48 (Avg HR 145, Max 170), threw in some strides at the end as I've a rest day tomorrow!
    Looking forward to a rest, that's 4 days running in a row for me so legs are a bit tired.
    14 miler on Saturday.
    Bring. It. On.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Sub430 wrote: »
    14 miler on Saturday.
    Bring. It. On.

Wish I had your optimism! Not really looking forward to my 14 miles on Sunday... Also not sure how it's going to work with the motor races on in the Park, will see what it's like on Saturday and decide if I have to find an alternative running area...

xebec wrote: »
    Wish I had your optimism! Not really looking forward to my 14 miles on Sunday... Also not sure how it's going to work with the motor races on in the Park, will see what it's like on Saturday and decide if I have to find an alternative running area...

I find if I think I'm going to dread something then I usually do so I might as well try and trick my body into thinking that I'm looking forward to it (hope my brain isn't reading this). It will be tough but a half an hour after it's over I know I'll be thinking "ah that wasn't so bad.."

We've both done 12, how hard can 2 more miles be? Good luck with it, you've done the groundwork, you'll be fine (sorer that you've ever been but fine ;))

Right off to do some core exercises. I love (hate) these.

Had planned to do 3/4 miles this morning but as I said earlier in the week I decided not to take a break from the Long runs and did 10 miles instead.
    Up at 5.30am, still a bit dark, but what a glorious morning it turned out to be, a little fog on the fields and everything.
    Even threw in 4x100m strides, felt good. 93 mins. Tried my first gel after an hour, yuk in a nice kinda way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Did my first ever session on a track today. Loved it as Im finding the training a bit monotonus recently as I use the same route all the time. 18 laps, some fast, some slow, some walking, some backward, sideways, skipping. Great fun, my daughter and OH came along and did it too which was fab.

You know, I really do think when it gets to race day it's going to be a case of slow and steady winning the day. I've been looking over the stats from last year, the way that the results are broken down into 10km/first half/30km/finish times.

It's quite scary to see how many people who started out strong and fast then take a disproportionately long time to finish the last 12km. The infamous wall...Whereas others with significantly slower times over, say, the first 10km or first half then trot home to victory in a faster time.

Hmm.

Got three runs in so far this week, plan a really short one in the morning, maybe, and the 12 on Sunday. Slow and steady is my pace right now alright. :)

Injury appears to be slowly but surely going away, have had 3 pain-free runs so far this week. I'm actually repeating last week this week on my physio's suggestion, so just 7 miles for me tomorrow. If I get through that without major ouchies, I'll be very happy.

Injury appears to be slowly but surely going away, have had 3 pain-free runs so far this week. I'm actually repeating last week this week on my physio's suggestion, so just 7 miles for me tomorrow. If I get through that without major ouchies, I'll be very happy.
    Glad to hear youre getting out of it. Its really frustrating to be hobbled by injury just as you feel you are getting somewhere, isnt it? You are doing the ten mile in phoenix park next week, arent you?

Yeah I am doing the 10-mile in the park next week, but my physio has asked me to treat it as a training run so I'll probably be chilling at a comfortable 10-10.30/mile pace, and finishing in roughly 1:40-1:45.

All in the name of the t-shirt :)

All in the name of the t-shirt :)
    The only reason I do this stuff. :) That and the goody bag.

And pretty, shiny medals are always nice. Bling for runners :)

And pretty, shiny medals are always nice. Bling for runners :)
    You dont always get them though. Bah humbug. :D I keep all my race numbers too. Is that strange?

• Advertisement

I keep all of mine too, they're currently on my magnetic dartboard.

Advertisement