Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Which half are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Eh, Edmonton. It's probably a bit too far for any of the other Amadeus Allstars to travel. But if you're interested there's a lift going up from Calgary on Saturday afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

goofygirl wrote: »
    I have also discovered the optimal pre-run breakfast. Wholemeal toast with PB, jam and sliced banana. Mmmmm.

Super, I shall try one in the morning (had to google PB :o). It's parboiled bunny for those who don't know.

Yeah I had my shotgun out at the weekend gitting them bunnies...what can I say, this is Alberta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks a million for taking the time for such a great answer amadeus. I was kicking myself for even posting such a silly thing last night:o
    Not much wise or boss like about this one...

On teh Peeing thing - there are two things to consider.

First is that it may all be psychological....

The other question is if you are over-hydrating.

Come to think of it, I've only been feeling this way since I've started thinking about the race day itself and worrying about things like over-crowding at the start and queues for loos. It really could be connected.

Also I always make sure to drink a lot of water in the morning before my runs and maybe this isnt always necessary. Will try cutting down and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Shadyladee wrote: »
    Bally8,

Have you considered trying to run a loop past your house on your long runs, then you can get some water and a pit stop if neccessary??

Unfortunately the roads around my house are too dangerous to run on so I have to drive to a safer spot about 5 miles away for all my outdoor runs. Im going to try adjusting the amount I drink before a run to see if it helps

Had to rearrange my running this week due to stag in Liverpool this weekend.

7 miler today with two miles at LT. I actually enjoyed today's run, a bit disappointed to be so wrecked after the LSR at the weekend but today was definitely an improvement.

First 4 miles between 940 and 10min pace, then two LT (8:15, 8:16) followed by an easy mile home. Happy with that, probably stating the obvious here but the key seems to be not to go out too hard at the start of the LT miles and then just keep the pace steady - for my other LT runs I took off too quickly and struggled for the rest of the distance.

7 miles : 65m06 : Avg HR 149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Whats the ebst advice for the 10 mile this Saturday ? I plan on doing the 13mile LSR on Wednesday and then the 10 mile Saturday, just wanna double check this isn't pushing it too much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Are you taking Thurs and Fri off completely?

buck65 wrote: »
    Are you taking Thurs and Fri off completely?

Cross train Thurs (Yoga) and Fri off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Im very much open to correction here but in my unsupported opinion a 13 mile lsr is too much on the Wednesday if you want to put in a peak performance for the 10 miler.

However, if you are treating the 10 as a training run, then burst on.

Myself, I did 6 miles tempo today and that is defo my last hard workout, two more three milers now, 10 min mile pace, that's it.

Im very much open to correction here but in my unsupported opinion a 13 mile lsr is too much on the Wednesday if you want to put in a peak performance for the 10 miler.

Yeah makes sense, but am I then losing something but not doing the 13miler and therefore not upping my distance this week??

Yeah makes sense, but am I then losing something but not doing the 13miler and therefore not upping my distance this week??

Tbh, I don't think you'll be losing anything at all because the race is gonna take a lot more effort than the 13 miler and will prepare you much better for the marathon proper. I following hh intermediate 2 and I was supposed to do 15 miles this week but I actually swapped week 6 which was a fall back week with this week, in other words I'm not really taking a fall back week at all because of the race on sat but I am tapering big time this week.

Actually I'm on holidays and eating all Round me, not good preparation.

Used a High 5 gel for the first time today and it was awful. I had to battle to get my mouth to allow it down my throat. I was retching for 4 minutes. The texture was brutal. Anyone else feel like this about it? Im hoping that with continued use I will get over this and with time it will be no bother. Ewwww torture and my stomach was sick after. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I take those gels with a big mouthfull of water. I kind of mix them both in the gob. Its not as phlem like and easier to deal with. Yeah, horrible things though.

I tried a gel for first time on Saturday, Power Bar Gel vanilla flavour that I got for free a few weeks ago. No problems with it.

In the meantime just continuing training away. Tuesday night speedwork with running club. Last night was 5 x 1600m with 5 mins recovery between each. Varied between 8:23/m and 8:47/m.

4 miles tonight in 37:46, Avg HR 146. Bit of a meh run.

15 miles tomorrow around the Phoenix Park, first time in the Park since I joined boards - I'll be the one waving maniacally at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    Used a High 5 gel for the first time today and it was awful. I had to battle to get my mouth to allow it down my throat. I was retching for 4 minutes. The texture was brutal. Anyone else feel like this about it? Im hoping that with continued use I will get over this and with time it will be no bother. Ewwww torture and my stomach was sick after. :(

I've never tried a High 5 gel, but I've noticed so far that I tend to be able to stomach thicker gels (Gu/Powerbar etc) slightly better than thinner ones (SIS etc). I try not to think about what the texture reminds me of...

An alternative that you could look at trying is Clif Shot Blox, the texture is closer to a wine gum than anything else - the only issue I have with them is that I don't want to chew anything when I'm running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|7 m|4 m run w / 4*100m strides|rest|cross|10 w/8 @ PMP

(Link to original here)

I'm away this weekend (my Granny's 80th b/day :D) so an early one for you. And oh boy are you going to love it...

You'll notice that the midweek runs are starting to stretch out a bit now. That's to get a 2nd stamina building run in during the week and to boost your overall mileage. It's not a race so take those 7 miles nice and slow, LSR pace. And just as an added incentive to take it slow...Strides are back (yay!). If you overcook the 7 miler then drop the strides or don't do as many but if you can then it's great. P&D have a theory that DOMS only really hits after 48 hours so you should do back to back hard days anyway but we'll leave that be for a couple of more weeks! So - to repeat - 7m EASY followed by 4 w/ strides.

And then the long run...

Well the good news is that it's a nice short one, only 10 miles.

The not so good news is that 8 miles are at your PMP - Planned Marathon Pace. This is in line with the theory of Specificity of Training. If you want to run 26.2 miles at (eg) 9 min miles the best possible training is to run long distances at 9 min mile pace. Thats the training that best replicates what you'll do on teh day. But in practice training constantly at that intensity is a recipe for disaster - you'll over train, get injured and be too fatigued to do any quality work. So we do LSRs to build stamina and shorter work (strides, LT runs) to build speed and put it all together on teh day.

However we also do PMP runs. We did one a little while back I think but this is the first proper one. I advise 1 mile warm up followed by 8@PMP and 1 mile warm down but you can do a "fast finish" where you do a 2 mile warm up follwed by 8 @PMP. Take it seriously - wear the same gear you will on the day, run on tarmac / concrete (not grass), take teh drink / gels you will on teh day. In effect this will be as close to a race experience as you can make it. It will familiarise you with the feeling of race pace (it should feel fast but sustainable, you should know you are working and need to concentrate to maintain it but not so hard that you are struggling) and will build confidence in you that you have chosen the right pace. Or it may highlight over confidence (and better now than on the day). It is also invaluable training - nothing prepares you better for a marathon than mid length PMP runs, IMO. Some of you may struggle with it - as always these are generic schedules so abide by what your body tells you, but by the midway point of teh schedule you should really be able to maintain PMP for 8 miles.

I'm out until Tue but will have intermittent connectivity if you have questions and please re-do the table as well at the weekend (it's great for keeping tabs on you all!) Any generic questions that you think I may not see throw them up in a thread on the main forum and you'll get plenty of advice there too.

And good luck to all teh 10 mile racers this weekend!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just posting to say I did the ten miler today, has renewed my faith in running. Hope anyone else who did it got on ok, I know rk did great. :)

Might even try the plan this week. :p Thanks amadeus.

• Advertisement

Did the 10miler today in the park, 1hr and 25mins which I was really happy with. Nearly 20mins less than last yr, its runs like that where you actually see an improvement that make a difference to me !

1:22:47 for me in 10 miler, really disappointed not to get sub 80, I'm not pacing myself properly

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|5|33.1|196.2|Good week, no complaints really|
    Goofygirl|||||
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|||||

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    oryx|||||
    Goofygirl|4|28|180|F*** yeah!|
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|||||

Just back from half-marathon...1:58:03 by my watch :):) will post tomorrow again when get chip time. Way, way happy to have broken the 2hr marker on my 5th half-marathon!! Oh and negative splits! I can post my mile splits if anyone cares.

What time should I aim for for DCM though??

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|4|24|145.5|Happy with 10-mile time, feel a little behind though|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    oryx|||||
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|||||

Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|3|19.3|218.5|grrrrrrrrrr|
    oryx|||||
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|||||

Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|3|22|152|very tired this week, 10miler went well though ! took off the day after though !|
    osnola ivax|3|19.3|218.5|grrrrrrrrrr|
    oryx|||||
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done on your training everyone! 3 weeks missed training means that DCM is a no go for me! But I'll be watching to see how everyone else in the group does

Well done on your training everyone! 3 weeks missed training means that DCM is a no go for me! But I'll be watching to see how everyone else in the group does

Maybe next year ;)

• Advertisement

we'll miss you Munster Gal :(

Just got chip time - half marathon was actually 1:57:59. Yay!

Advertisement