Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats, that's a great time goofygirl! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Thanks! I was delighted. I was hoping to break the 2 hr marker but maybe only by a few seconds not by two minutes. Esp cause all my training runs are generally slower than everyone else on here. Looks like the agonising speedwork is starting to pay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well done goofy girl, great result, that's your sub 2 half put to bed, you must be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|3|26|193|Stag weekend so missed w/e run. Still hungover. Well done all on the ten milers and the half goofygirl|
    Rainbow|4|24|145.5|Happy with 10-mile time, feel a little behind though|
    Mr Marenghi|3|22|152|very tired this week, 10miler went well though ! took off the day after though !|
    osnola ivax|3|19.3|218.5|grrrrrrrrrr|
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|5|33.1|196.2|Good week, no complaints really|
    Goofygirl|4|28|180|F*** yeah!|
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

QUOTE=Mr Marenghi;61647894]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|3|22|152|very tired this week, 10miler went well though ! took off the day after though !|
    oryx|||||
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|4|25|194|did the 14 miler|
    [/QUOTE

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    QUOTE=Mr Marenghi;61647894]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|3|26|93|Did a 15 miler, happy with that -did nothing at the weekend only booze. Why oh why do we do it?|
    oryx|||||
    Shadyladee|||||
    Buck65|4|25|194|did the 14 miler|
    [/QUOTE

Four PUNISHING miles on the treadmill, never sweated so much. Excess of weekend getting kicked out of body. Finally.

4 in 38m51

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Decided to get my 7 miler out of the way today as with work this week as well as a trip to Belfast on the weekend wanted to get the miles in early. I don't think I've ever struggled as much....sore feet, thought I was going to be physically sick and had to walk about half of the seven miles, wastoo painful to run. I suppose the tough days make the other days more bearable....roll on tomorrow :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

goofygirl wrote: »

Just got chip time - half marathon was actually 1:57:59. Yay!

Thats brilliant goofygirl sub 2 hours!! Well done you must be aiming for a sub 4 hour marathon so?:)

Did my 3 and 7 miler today! Was feeling a little off on Mon/Tues so did 10 today, bad morning weatherwise. The run itself was ok til 8 miles and I struggled home in 92 mins. Certainly felt the 14 miler from Saturday in the legs. 4 miles to be done on Fri and 10 on Saturday and a weeks hols then.

Will bring the runners but 2 or 3 easy runs will be the most of it next week. Feel it wouldn't be fair on the family to hit off for 2.5 hours next Saturday so I will skip a week of the plan - hope this is ok Amadeus?

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant goofygirl sub 2 hours!! Well done you must be aiming for a sub 4 hour marathon so?:)

Ha! No thanks, I rather like being alive and would like to keep it that way for a while longer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Did 13miles today. Im off tomorrow to Green Man Festival in Wales and no running till Monday, so I figured i'd make it a long one. Felt the gel I took after 40mins was a help, also the water I carried.

I actualy ran the course that the Adidas half is gonna be on in Sept. its a good course, instead of a 3mile loop and then a 5mile loop twice like last yr its one 13mile route with only 1 road you run on twice.
    But a warning to anybody, at Knockmardon Rd just before the 12mile mark theres a very steep hill, need to save something for it !

7 miles in the rain, good to get outside and clear the head. Torrential rain in the midlands though so wore a jacket - softlad. Actually my new rain jacket arrived so wanted to try it out ;).

It worked well, much better than my last one, didn't feel like I was sweating half as much plus it had the arms you could take off in seconds or minutes depending on how awkward you are. I for one do not have the dexterity of a young Harry Houdini so it was more like Quasimode trying to undo a straight jacket. I almost gave up and ran with the arms flap flapping away but pesistence paid off and boy how - like a new man for the second half of the run.

So 7m in 1:08:19 and actually enjoyed a run for the first time in a while. Breaking my hole on the treadmill last night made me feel free as a bird (or at least a bird in a straight jacket) running outside in the rain. Maybe next time I'm getting sick of running I'll punish myself with 40 mins on the dreadmill again just to remind myself.

3 paragraphs of waffle and Burnley beat United. It's all good.:pac:

Burnley beat utd, yesssssss, and Liverpool won 4-0 but by the bbcs account Lucas leiva is still a complete donkey. We miss you xabi and your creative influence, I'm a little tipsy hic!

4m w/ 4x100 strides done - , tough but enjoyable, good to do a nice short but hard distance for once.

1 mile warm up then 2 miles containing the strides. Those two miles were quick for me. The legs didn't really want to slow down too much after the strides, who was I to argue. 1 slow mile home.

4m in 34:05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Munster Gal - It's a shame to see you go but you're doing the right thing. There are dozens of marathons so there is no point rushing into it. Good luck with all of teh changes, you're going to have your hands full!

Buck - short question (it's actually 2 questions) but looong answer, I'm afraid...

Some sports work in microcycles - in football you can go training on Friday, work on a set-piece and use it to score on Saturday. Instant results. Running isn't like that - we work in meta-cycles. Changes happen over months and years not days or weeks. The bad news is it seems to take forever to make progress (and we often don't notice that progress it's so slow) but at least you can go on improving for years!

So what has that got to do with a week long holiday?

Well as marathon runners we all obsess a bit about the schedule. We fret if our LSR is a mile short. We stress if a speed session is slower than planned. And we go crazy if we miss a run. But no one session will make or break the marathon. It's about weeks and months of consistent and disciplined training; 16 or 18 weeks of solid mileage building deep seated fitness, stamina and speed.

So a week of light training won't make a huge amount of difference. In fact most people lose a week here or there - injury, holiday, CBA; all upset your stride. Think of it as a fall back week and enjoy it. But if you can sneak out for a couple of short - medium runs so much the better!

The second bit of teh question is all the fripperies around the holiday. When you're training you'll normally eat well, get enough sleep and not drink too much. Late nights, heavy sessions and crap food may do more damage than the lack of running...

Burnley beating ManU! How happy am I!!

Starting to freak out a little here. I know that having little niggles is normal with all the training we are doing but Im beginning to think my heel pain is probably more than that. I really think I have to see the physio about it but Im afraid he will tell me to rest for a few weeks and thats the end of the marathon for me. I have told EVERYONE I know that Im doing the marathon, I have driven my OH mental with my constant talk of it and my obsessing with getting all my sessions in. I love being part of this group and reading all the logs and stuff on here about it. I sooooo dont want to have to stop. Fingers crossed its not as bad as Im making it out to be:(

(not looking for medical advice here at all just venting my frustration)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Bally8 wrote: »
    Starting to freak out a little here. I know that having little niggles is normal with all the training we are doing but Im beginning to think my heel pain is probably more than that. I really think I have to see the physio about it but Im afraid he will tell me to rest for a few weeks and thats the end of the marathon for me. I have told EVERYONE I know that Im doing the marathon, I have driven my OH mental with my constant talk of it and my obsessing with getting all my sessions in. I love being part of this group and reading all the logs and stuff on here about it. I sooooo dont want to have to stop. Fingers crossed its not as bad as Im making it out to be:(

(not looking for medical advice here at all just venting my frustration)

My fingers and toes are crossed that it's nothing serious!

Thanks Amadeus. Disappointed that I'm not gonna be doing it but no point in kidding myself at the same time. I'll defo keep up the running. Just the timing was all wrong for the training this year between being sick and work has been mental for the last two weeks. Been working 12 hour shifts :( (shouldn't be complaining really!)

Bally8 - have you tried a deep tissue massage? Bacause the heel is sore doesn't necessarily mean it isn't being caused by a tight calf muscle or something else like that - try it out, I get one every 2/3 weeks as I have regular trouble with a knee injury.

Ran 10 miles today (2nd 10 miler in 3 days) felt realy good and strong for 8 miles and stopped to stretch - found it hard to get going again. Time 1hr 29 min. Pushed the pace a little at times.
    Now a nice easy week - 4 miler Sunday of course to be done.
    Talk in a week guys , keep it going!. Amadeus thanks for advice on hols etc.

Thanks Buck, Im going for a deep tissue massage on Tuesday so hopefully that helps. I only have the pain for the first mile or so when Im running then it goes so maybe its isnt too serious.

Have a great holiday

Similar story here Bally8, my left ankle used to give me jip for the first mile (years of turning on it playing ball). Now I just do loads of ankle circles before I go to loosen it/warm it up and it's fine. Yours could be similar and just needs to be warmed up?

On an aside, I bought one of those foam roller yokes, used it for the first time last night on the hamstrings after my run. Feel right as rain this morning. Hopefully no more fifty yo yo's to the physio for a massage thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Sub430 wrote: »
    Similar story here Bally8, my left ankle used to give me jip for the first mile (years of turning on it playing ball). Now I just do loads of ankle circles before I go to loosen it/warm it up and it's fine. Yours could be similar and just needs to be warmed up?

God that gives me great hope. I ran my 4 miles today and it hurt for the first 10 minutes (on a scale of 1-10 I would actually give the pain a 3) but then it was grand. Really enjoyed my run today, apart from the heel I felt really strong and fit. Physio might sort it all out on Tuesday, there is no point in me being negative until Im told something bad.

I am so, so tired this week that I have become thoroughly misanthropic.

After the half-marathon on Sunday I had to drive 300km home before back to work on Monday morning. I managed the 7-miler on Tuesday, the 3-miler on Wednesday and by last night I was catatonic with tiredness. Going to do the 10 miler tomorrow morning but not sure where the 4 miler is going to fit in, if at all this week.

So Amadeus I took consolation from your words that one missed workout is not the end of the world!

I am so, so tired this week that I have become thoroughly misanthropic.

I was a misanthrope until I started running.

haha running - a force for good in the world!

Yeah I'm just tired and irritable and cranky the whole time. Not only that, but I've been sleeping in my friends' living room for the past few months (long story) so haven't even had a bedroom during all this marathon training. Luckily that ends today and living arrangements go back to normal! All I've been thinking about for the past few weeks are undisturbed lie-ins, going to bed at eight o'clock in the evening and stuff.

haha running - a force for good in the world!

Yeah I'm just tired and irritable and cranky the whole time. Not only that, but I've been sleeping in my friends' living room for the past few months (long story) so haven't even had a bedroom during all this marathon training. Luckily that ends today and living arrangements go back to normal! All I've been thinking about for the past few weeks are undisturbed lie-ins, going to bed at eight o'clock in the evening and stuff.

I lose perspective when I am over tired or have been deprived of sleep. It just the worse and, for me anyway, is the ultimate cause of crankiness. Sometimes there is very little you can do about it bar avoid people and try to catch up on sleep.

I used to go to the gym at 7 am most mornings but it was just driving me crazy so I had to stop. I still run in the mornings but limit it to only a couple of mornings a week because I know what I am like. I now have one year old son who doesn't like to lie in past 6:30am but I think I'm getting used to the constant tiredness now as long as I avoid successive early morning training sessions. I find they are the real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Hi Amadeus, fair play for taking time to offer advice to Marathon virgins/novice

I plan to run the Marathon this year for the first time. I'm 26 and have been into sport most mylife though mainly play football. In school I was a sprinter ! competed in 100m , relay , long & trpile jump and 100m hurdles. None of these ever taken seriously by the way . I am running the Marathon for the challenge and this may sound silly but had 1st child who is now 20 mnths old and want to do something for him to be proud of. I plan to havemore kids and think I will run a marathon for each one now. I like a challenge and think this is a great one both physically and mentally. I have only run 2 long distance races before and both were this year in the Pheonix park , 5 mile in July and 10 mile on 15th. I finished the 5 mile in 47mins and the ten mile in 1hr 37 mins. I am training 5 nights a week Tues and Thurs football training 1hr 40 min both nights and match on sat 90mins. I run Wed and Sunday also at the min 7 miles each night. I am wondering if I need to do a run on the days I have soccer training as soccer training is based on short sharp bursts not aimed at distance stamina so although training last 1 hr 40 mins I may only run for 30/40 mins.

11 miles done with 8 at PMP (half in Longford next week so should have better idea what my marathon time will be, at mo hoping for 415/430).

2 miles easy then the rain and wind kicked up just as I started the hilly part. 2 miles uphill against a headwind had me questioning why the f*ck am I doing this. That passed until the next hill, horrible.

The way home was a totally different story, wohooo down the hills without any wind, really enjoyed it - what a difference a half an hour makes! 1 mile easy home.

11 miles in 1:40:40. Happy with that, felt good.

Bagel with banana and peanut butter pre run as suggested by goofygirl. Yum. Had an energise sport at mile 6ish and a High Five gel. Worked, not really tired during run.

Well how did you all get on with the PMP run???

I always dread them but they are such a great confidence boost when you have them done. They feel like really hard work at the time but don't forget that on the day you'll be running on fresh, tapered legs. And race day adrenaline will give you a big push.

Anyhow, slightly later than usual this week (charity Elvis concert last night!) here is this weeks plan:

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|7 m|4 m run|rest|cross|15

(Link to original here)

Very simple week this week for 2 reasons. We pushed the speedwork hard last week so we don't want to overcook it and also there is a nice long 15 miler this weekend that you'll want to be fresh for.

As always if you have any questions yell!

You know the drill...

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||

• Advertisement

Carra23 wrote: »
    Hi Amadeus, fair play for taking time to offer advice to Marathon virgins/novice

I plan to run the Marathon this year for the first time. I'm 26 and have been into sport most mylife though mainly play football. In school I was a sprinter ! competed in 100m , relay , long & trpile jump and 100m hurdles. None of these ever taken seriously by the way . I am running the Marathon for the challenge and this may sound silly but had 1st child who is now 20 mnths old and want to do something for him to be proud of. I plan to havemore kids and think I will run a marathon for each one now. I like a challenge and think this is a great one both physically and mentally. I have only run 2 long distance races before and both were this year in the Pheonix park , 5 mile in July and 10 mile on 15th. I finished the 5 mile in 47mins and the ten mile in 1hr 37 mins. I am training 5 nights a week Tues and Thurs football training 1hr 40 min both nights and match on sat 90mins. I run Wed and Sunday also at the min 7 miles each night. I am wondering if I need to do a run on the days I have soccer training as soccer training is based on short sharp bursts not aimed at distance stamina so although training last 1 hr 40 mins I may only run for 30/40 mins.

Hi Carra (I like the nick ;))

TBH I really wouldn't advise running the marathon this Oct.

I think you've got a great motivator there in wanting to do it for your kids - I have a couple and I understand about wanting to do things that will make them proud of you.

But if that's why you're doing it then you'll want to do the best that you possibly can. The marathon is only 8 or 9 weeks away now and you'll be tapering from 2 - 3 weeks out which means that there are only really 6 or 7 weeks of hard training left. In order to attempt a marathon you need an incredibly good endurance base, something that teh crew on here have been working on for teh last 9 weeks. Most of them have clocked up over 200 miles in training and have logged a long run every week, up to 13 miles.

Football training will give you a base level of endurance that your extra runs will have topped off. It will also give you a nice turn of speed. But it's very different to endurance training.

My advice would be to find a marathon that is timed with the start of next years new football season and spend the close season training for it specifically. You'll be in better physical condition and will do yourself justice. It will also leave you heading into the football season (I assume your main priority) in fantastic condition.

Advertisement