Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Hi all, back from hols yesterday so back into it tomorrow.
    Ran 15 miles on Sat morning, really struggled for the last 40 mins (4 miles aprox). Is this normal? Time 2.25

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

@ sub430.......ahem!!......

Yes I was sad enough to go and find this post.

Seriously though, well done fella, great time. And I'm really glad to see you reassessing your goals sub4. I think we can do it! <insert Barack Obama style motivational rhetoric>

;)

I was expecting that OI :)

Just looking at HR record from Garmin. Avg 166 which was to be expected. Max was 191 for the sprint at the end so that was pretty much all out.

Not too sore this morning strangely enough, question is whether to rest today or do the LT as proposed by le boss :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Shadyladee

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|3|25|244|Half marathon in 1:53:40. Delighted with that|
    Rainbow|4|30|202.5|15 miles - longest run ever! :D|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|4|37.3|299.3|10k race on sat, and 16.2 mile lsr on sun|
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|4|31|231|same old, same old|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|5|33.5|325*|stiff legs but best ever lsr. 8:42 pace for 15 miles.
    Shadyladee|4|29|204.5|Good week! was a bit worried bout the 15 miler before hand, but wasnt so bad in the end!|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Mr Marenghi|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally8|4|30|245.2|Good week, delighted with the 15 miler|
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|4|29|204.5|Good week! was a bit worried bout the 15 miler before hand, but wasnt so bad in the end!|

Also well done sub430 excellent half time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Yeah well done Sub430! I think you may need a name change to Sub400 though!

goofygirl wrote: »

Monday: 7 hellish miles after work. It was HOT - about 25C - and my abs were still killing me from my face-plant the Saturday before. I know Bally8 has talked about needed to pee on runs before, well whatever was happening in my abdominal region after the 7 miles I had an urgent - and I mean urgent - need to, eh, poo. Sorry if that's too graphic. I scurried into the nearest building (which happened to be the Rocky View Hospital actually so I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible!) and, well, you know.

Saturday: Due to some, eh, haphazard map reading on my part my 15 miler turned into 16.4 miles run and a 2 mile recovery stroll home. I got back about 10 minutes ago and now I'm slumped in a heap on my bed. Had a gel at what I thought was the 12 miler marker but no, turned out in fact to be the 15.5 mile marker...

I lolled:D Im always looking forward to reading your posts goofygirl, very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Mr Marenghi|3|14|188|Had a bad baaaaaaad week with work, missed LSR even ! Hopefully back to normal from today !|
    oryx|||||
    Buck65|||||

QUOTE=Mr Marenghi;61888768]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Mr Marenghi|3|14|188|Had a bad baaaaaaad week with work, missed LSR even ! Hopefully back to normal from today !|
    oryx|||||
    Buck65|1|15|tbc|suffered, on hols |
    [/QUOTE

5m recovery run, legs still quite stiff from the half.

51m55. Avg HR 141. Max 151.

Did the same run in similar time 4 weeks ago, avg HR was 145, max was 170!

• Advertisement

Did a 4 mile easy run today - well it was meant to be easy. Legs still sore from the 15 miler on Saturday. I really am starting to suffer once I go over 12 miles. The legs just seem to lock up and turn into pieces of wood. Hopefully the 15 miler , this weeks 16 and the 18 in a couple of weeks will build me up.

Also going to run the half marathon in Kilkenny on Sep 20th. Funnily I think I have a great chance of breaking 2hrs for the half but could really struggle to run all the marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm enjoying this thread, keep it up. Not that I'm an expert, I've only completed one Marathon in May this year. All of the recent comments about stiff legs, the feeling after mile 12 etc are exactly what I was feeling at the same time in my mara program a few months back. I had the exact same feeling of fatigue and soreness as my training buddy too. Just saying incase it makes you feel better.

Any of you doing the half in Phoenix and planning on racing it? Whats your thoughts on that Amadeus? DCM 4 weeks after the half. Hope its cool to jump in here and ask a question. Just looking for other opinions on this ;)

no disrespect to you master Peckham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I'm enjoying this thread, keep it up. Not that I'm an expert, I've only completed one Marathon in May this year. All of the recent comments about stiff legs, the feeling after mile 12 etc are exactly what I was feeling at the same time in my mara program a few months back. I had the exact same feeling of fatigue and soreness as my training buddy too. Just saying incase it makes you feel better.

Any of you doing the half in Phoenix and planning on racing it? Whats your thoughts on that Amadeus? DCM 4 weeks after the half. Hope its cool to jump in here and ask a question. Just looking for other opinions on this ;)

I'm gonna race it MF defo, aiming for 1:44:59, hope the legs will hold up this time. Been doing a fair few tempo sessions and a couple of 10k races since the 10 miler so hoping I'm in better shape. I actually think it will be good training to do a quick run 4 weeks b4 the real thing (completely unscientific guesswork).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

My ankle is still really stiff since my LSR on friday (after all my talk of best run ever lol), I was getting really worried for a day or two there, but it feels a bit better now. Gonna head out for 4 miles this evening with a strapping and deep heat. Fingers crossed it is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Crazy few days - everything hits at once so apologies for the long delay in replying to some of these...
    question fir you big A. I ran a 10k on sat and the lsr on Sunday felt terrible but glad to get the miles in all the same. My schedule now has an 18 mile lsr planned for next Sunday but I am at a wedding this weekend (Friday & Saturday, but probably won't be in the mood for lsr on sunday), so I planned to do the lsr on wednesday. Is this too close to a hard fought lsr today? Will I have to watch myself next Saturday on the booze and do it on Sunday next because don't think that's gonna b possible.

No you should be fine to do the LSR on Wed, your legs should have had plenty of time to catch up but see how you feel in the morning. Take it slow enough though.
    GForcer1 wrote: »
    HI Amadeus,

Just looking for some adivce on whether you think i could complete the marathon, not too pushed on times, would be happy to complete.

I just completed GF last wend and had been training fairly hard for that on bike and running.

For my running, the most i was doing in the last 2-3 wks before was 13 miles, i could do this in about 1:45-50 but did a PB of 1:35 ( very hard and may have over done it as was sore afterwards for quiet sometime)

My 5k time is about 23-24mins, 10k is around 48mins, have done 10 miles in 79mins, i would find these times comfortable for the distance.

In the last two weeks, i've not done any training, GF was last wend and nothing this week due to work issues. Planning on getting back to running this week if i can, also need to go to physio to get knee looked at as gets sore sometimes now, not sure why.

Anyway, i've not done any structured marathon training over the summer, but have been, also think i am at a good level of fitness and want to keep going, have always wanted to do a marathon, do you think i could jump onto a training plan now for the remainder of the weeks before DCM? Was planning to do the HM end of Sept too?

cheers

Tough one actually. Your long runs are pretty close to where this group are so you could probably manage it, especially coming from a good training base. You could def jump in and complete a marathon but you'll enjoy it more if you do a dedicated 16-18 week training plan. How's that for fence sitting!
    buck65 wrote: »
    Hi all, back from hols yesterday so back into it tomorrow.
    Ran 15 miles on Sat morning, really struggled for the last 40 mins (4 miles aprox). Is this normal? Time 2.25

Yep, happens to most of us. Depending on the LSR length and pace and if I am running fuelled or not I can lose anything up to a min per mile towards the end.
    Sub430 wrote: »
    Not too sore this morning strangely enough, question is whether to rest today or do the LT as proposed by le boss :confused:

Le Boss? Big A??

What is going on with you people?!

But what did you run in the end??

Good point MF - feeling pretty shagged out and stiff legged all the time is kind of normal in your 1st training cycle.

And your 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

As for teh half, deffo race it. Recovery is a maximum of 1 day per mile raced so you'll be fully back inside a couple of weeks and a good time will give you no end of a confidence boost as well as helping you fine tune your planned race pace and act as a great dry run for kit, fuelling, etc.

Master Peckham - hah! - who's he kidding!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    My ankle is still really stiff since my LSR on friday (after all my talk of best run ever lol), I was getting really worried for a day or two there, but it feels a bit better now. Gonna head out for 4 miles this evening with a strapping and deep heat. Fingers crossed it is ok.

Fingers crossed is righ. Again I can't give medical or injury advice but - as said above - stiffness is kind of par for teh course. Any pain though stop running and see an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fingers crossed is righ. Again I can't give medical or injury advice but - as said above - stiffness is kind of par for teh course. Any pain though stop running and see an expert.

Cheers, did my 4 miles with 2 LT and all ok (still stiff though but nothing deepheat can't cure). Did the LT miles in 7:04 and 6:39 Woo Hoo!!

Le Boss? Big A??

What is going on with you people?!

But what did you run in the end??

Dementia is setting in methinks, not enough oxygen going to the brain.

In the end I did a very slow run, I was like a man made of wood -if there is a Ministry for Silly Runs I think I'm in.

There was no way I could have done an LT run on Monday.

8 miles easy this morning, legs still pretty jaded. 1:18:16.

Did 8 myself today too. First 3 miles were fine but really had to dig deep to keep going. Heart rate was crazy - took 2 walking breaks - managed to finish in about 1.15. Not sure about tomorrows 4 miler, might take a break till the big one on Saturday. Would like to go over 30 for the week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Tough one actually. Your long runs are pretty close to where this group are so you could probably manage it, especially coming from a good training base. You could def jump in and complete a marathon but you'll enjoy it more if you do a dedicated 16-18 week training plan. How's that for fence sitting!

tks for the feedback amadeus, i think i'd like to try it but have to go to physio tonite, after a self diagnosing session in t'internet, sounds like i have IBTS so not sure how that will affect training or what i can do.

done 10k last nite, 48mins again but after 5-6k, this pain came in my leg, same thing happened on GF aswell..

tks again

Monday: 29C. It's funny, in "real life" I'm riddled with the usual host of body-image issues. I would never wear hot-pants, for example, on the grounds that it would scare animals and small children and am even self-conscious wearing a bikini. When I'm running though, any modicum of modesty goes out the window. I had no qualms whatsover about wearing only a sports bra and the shortest of short shorts. 8 sweaty miles.

Tuesday: 28C. Running club, 8 x 800m. Hot, sweaty, more of the same. Moved house today as well and new room didn't have a bed so had to sleep on my thermarest with a sleeping bag. Indoor camping!

Wednesday: so....bit of bad news from Canadian Immigration. My work visa extension got denied, my boss is going to try and extend it BUT it means I can't leave Canada till the middle of November. So what do I do about the DCM? There is a marathon in Victoria, BC on 11 October which I could run instead but would that be a terribly bad idea to cut training short by two weeks? HELP!!

• Advertisement

That's a bummer goofygirl but I think you'll be well able for the other marathon. You haven't missed a weeks training yet I don't think so really it just means you'll be doing the marathon on a 16 week programme instead of an 18 week programme. You've done the hard work!

5m this morning, 2 at LT. 44m10. Happy with that, legs seems to be working again, didn't have the drag them with me. This week is a bit of a milestone as it is the longest midweek session in HH Novice II covering 18 miles so it will be easy from here I guess..:rolleyes:

GG, ouch, not good. It would be better to find a race later rather than sooner but I'm sure that we can work out a way of getting you over the line no matter what. As (the newly renamed) Sub400 says you've done pretty much all teh hard work already.

Really good effort on the LT runs. Cracking a time barrier like 7 min/miles is always a nice feeling. One thing to bear in mind with all speed / interval work though is that there should be as much consistency of effort and time as possible, the first and last set should be pretty close together, time wise.

I know it's a right pain in the arse. I have 24 hours to decide.

Do I stay in Canada in the hope that visa issues get resolved, fly to Victoria by myself, stay in a hostel and do the marathon there (meant to be a beautiful course, by the way) or abandon the Canadian dream, come home and run in the bosom of my friends and family?

I feel that I WOULD actually be ready to run in 5 weeks rather than 7, on my long run last week I only stopped at the 16.4 mile point because I checked my Garmin and thought "oops!" rather than being completely spent. Also, I might be less nervous about Victoria because there wouldn't be that whole psychological I-travelled-6000km-for-this-and-all-my-friends-are-watching factor. Some people from my running club are travelling to do Victoria as well.

On the other hand, well, you only get to do your first marathon once and home turf is home turf.

Aaargh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Did my 16miler this evening. Felt great, could have even gone longer at the end. It took me 160mins.

Big difference this time i felt made it easier was to not constantly think that the end point was the end, if that makes sense. I think that when approaching the last 2 miles it sometimes gets harder because you feel that its the end, you've run so far etc....

I also had enough water and too 2 gels.

Reaching a distance like 16miles you do get a sense that yes, the marathon is possible !

Twelve hours left to decide...

if I decide to run Victoria instead of Dublin will you guys still let me post in this thread?

Surely you will be ready to run on Oct 11th. You have still time to get 3 more LSR in an still time for a 2 week taper - what about this Amadeus?

buck65 wrote: »
    Surely you will be ready to run on Oct 11th. You have still time to get 3 more LSR in an still time for a 2 week taper - what about this Amadeus?

Absolutely, with such solid training already nailed down she'd be fine to do it. I don't think it's a fitness based decision though...!

this is me tendering my resignation from the DCM :(:(:(

Going to be running in Victoria on Oct 11 instead though!

goofygirl wrote: »
    this is me tendering my resignation from the DCM :(:(:(

Going to be running in Victoria on Oct 11 instead though!

That's unfortunate :( but you can be our guinea pig. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just thought I'd sound off here for a bit. I've run twice only this week but one of those was a 17.5 mile lsr. I've been at a wedding for the last two days basically. In the bed now and feeling rubbish, as you do after 2 heavy days of boozing. Considering taking a trip to mcdonalds for a macmuffin.

I did get some crosstraining in on Friday, in the form of dancing. I sat myself down before the evening really took off and had a little word with myself. Ok OI, you have been doing a lot of training lately, so naturally drink is gonna have a stronger effect, so take it easy and everything will be fine. I didn't take my advice.

Comments the following day:

1. The incredible dancing man
    2. Duracell bunny
    3. Did you take something
    4. All that training has given you a lot of energy
    5. You are nuts

to name a few

I always eat crap when I am hungover. Anyways, I said that after this wedding (really good friends), that I was packing in the booze for dcm, and that's basically why I'm posting this. I'm gonna have todayto eat absolute ****e, then my body is a temple until dcm '09.

Aw man I feel like ****.

Advertisement