Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Just thought I'd sound off here for a bit. I've run twice only this week but one of those was a 17.5 mile lsr. I've been at a wedding for the last two days basically. In the bed now and feeling rubbish, as you do after 2 heavy days of boozing. Considering taking a trip to mcdonalds for a macmuffin.

I did get some crosstraining in on Friday, in the form of dancing. I sat myself down before the evening really took off and had a little word with myself. Ok OI, you have been doing a lot of training lately, so naturally drink is gonna have a stronger effect, so take it easy and everything will be fine. I didn't take my advice.

Comments the following day:

1. The incredible dancing man
    2. Duracell bunny
    3. Did you take something
    4. All that training has given you a lot of energy
    5. You are nuts

to name a few

I always eat crap when I am hungover. Anyways, I said that after this wedding (really good friends), that I was packing in the booze for dcm, and that's basically why I'm posting this. I'm gonna have todayto eat absolute ****e, then my body is a temple until dcm '09.

Aw man I feel like ****.

This post gave me the biggest smile on here in a while :-)

Enjoy the few days off. Life is short, and running/training shouldn't take over your life imho. And especially if they were good friends I think it would have almost been an afront not to get p****d !! (Assuming you drink - for any/all tea totalers)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Am having a horrible week this week... just seems like every time I go to run *something* happens or there's something on and I can't get out! :mad: I've done 10 miles this week, and I can't see the LSR happening today because I've to go visit my granny for her birthday and then meet up with a friend who is moving to Galway tomorrow...

I need to get this 16-miler done though, when should I do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Am having a horrible week this week... just seems like every time I go to run *something* happens or there's something on and I can't get out! :mad: I've done 10 miles this week, and I can't see the LSR happening today because I've to go visit my granny for her birthday and then meet up with a friend who is moving to Galway tomorrow...

I need to get this 16-miler done though, when should I do it?

Snap. After what I felt was a great week last week, I have been brought down to earth with a Bang. My ankle/foot has been niggling away at me all week. I Can run but it kills me the next day. Only got two sessions done this week 12 miles in total. After thursdays 8 miles, My foot was sore again on friday, So I made an appointment with a physio and cancelled the LSR yesterday. I am seeing the physio tomorrow, so fingers crossed I get the all clear. If so I will replace this weeks 12 mile LSR with the 16 I missed and maybe replace the 8 mile midweek run with a 12. If i get bad news, I will not know what to do. I really can't afford to miss another week after just coming back from another injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Proper post with schedule later but one quick post to clear something up.

You never *NEED* to run.

You run as a hobby. Maybe to lose weight, get fit, do a couple of races, meet some people.

There are things you need to do. Work, look after your family, see friends. Running is great because it's you time but at the end of the day you can't transform it from a joy to a chore. My last training cycle I was putting myself under a lot of pressure with the whole sub 3 thing. It turned into a long stream of sessions with targets and metrics and deadlines and became just like work, rather than an escape from work.

And it's just not worth it.

If you miss your LSR this week it's no biggie - you did last weeks and the week before's. You'll do next weeks. No single session will make or break the marathon. A poor weeks training happens to everyone at some stage - no-one is a saint for 18 weeks. I had a dire week last week, did maybe half of the miles I should have. But this week I picked it up and now I'm back on track.

You'll all bounce back too (slowly and groggily in OIs case ;)). Relax, you've done the hard work now, believe it or not every one of you could do 26.2 next week if you had to, all we're doing for the next week is adding polish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thanks for that advise above amadeus. Some wise words there. Sometimes training can become like a job when you feel to meet targets, times etc. But at the end of the day if you are not professional training should not define everything you are about. Don't forget your friends, college,family etc. Speaking from some mistakes i made before when i would put training above a lot of things i should not have. Nice to see it posted from someone else. Cheers.

Anyway i have a question for you. I'm nursing back an achilles injury. Got out tonight for an hour without any trouble. I have the blarney half next week and i do not want to rush things to much. Would you think it's wise to use this as a recovery type run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bobby04 wrote: »
    This post gave me the biggest smile on here in a while :-)

Enjoy the few days off. Life is short, and running/training shouldn't take over your life imho. And especially if they were good friends I think it would have almost been an afront not to get p****d !! (Assuming you drink - for any/all tea totalers)

Too right, at one stage I was doing the can can with the brides mother up on the bands stage, so I was actively encouraged by the wedding party at different points during the night.

Suffering from major panick / paranoia at the moment, and still hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Suffering from major panick / paranoia at the moment

Ah, the fear - good luck sleeping tonight, just remember nobody else is in the room and nobody is out to get you and if you get a call from a private number, don't be worried, answer it without hesitation ;)

18 mile LSR done and ladies and gentlemen it was hell, pure and simple. It nearly broke me. The first say 12 miles were grand but the last 6 were not pleasant, it was me against the voices (have a rest, just walk for a bit, stop for five minutes, why are you doing this etc etc). The last 2 miles were a physical struggle, the voices had by now given up on me but the body was aching in the strangest places.

I hope it was the headwind, torrential rain and a very hilly run that was the cause of the torment but just to be sure I'm sticking to a flat course from here on in just to build up the confidence again because today it took a right kicking. Grand now though :)

18 miles in 2:58:38 Avg HR 154

Another week...

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|4m run|8 m Fartlek|5 m run|rest|cross|12

(Link to original here)

Can you all say "FALL BACK WEEK" :D

Sounds like it couldn't come too soon either. Long runs are considered hard sessions for a reason.

They are blinking hard!

But those last few miles with the wind against you in pouring rain and up a never ending hill are the tough miles that make the difference. When you get to mile 18 or 20 in the marathon and you're tired you can think back to those tough miles in training and feel confident that you have what you need in the tank.

Sooooo close now - a few more weeks and we're into the taper

You know the story...

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

You know the story...

Sub430|4|36|280|What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :eek:|
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Wohoo, had just planned my 17 mile route for next Sunday then read that it's a fall back week - I had read the schedule incorrectly. It's like waking up for work and realising it's Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|4|33|278.2|The running is fine its life thats getting difficult at the moment|
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Back to work last Tuesday after being spoilt with 8 weeks holidays. Ended up running Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday as I was too tired after work Tues and Thrusday to run. I dont know how people work full time and train, it would kill me. Next week Im hoping to do my runs on the proper days, I dont like not sticking to the schedule

Rainbow|2|10|212.5|In the words of Apocalyptica... Life Burns! :mad:|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|4|33|278.2|The running is fine its life thats getting difficult at the moment|
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

*resolves to have a non-sucktacular week this week*

Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|2|12|337|Dodgy ankle flaring up the day after running hopefully the phsio gives me the all clear romorrow|
    Shadyladee|||||

Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|2|22|321||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|2|12|337|Dodgy ankle flaring up the day after running hopefully the phsio gives me the all clear romorrow|
    Shadyladee|||||[/QUOTE]

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just saying hi guys and well done on your training, all of ya. You all got through a tough few weeks there. I notice for the first time my name is missing from the list, lol :) Im still putting in a few miles and keeping up with all your progress here, in case I take a mad notion before the deadline. But have to pat ye all on the back for your staying power, and fair play amadeus I dont know where you get the time to work, train, mod, AND do this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|2|22|321||
    Goofygirl|4|36|267|I'm back in the game!|
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Sorry for all the drama last week - I've now decided feck it, I don't care how difficult it makes immigration stuff I'm going to run Dublin! It would just be too depressing a thought to run a marathon over here with no one to cheer me on/meet me at the end etc.

Did an 18 miler on Saturday though before I arrived at this decision. It was grand, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Spent the weekend off y feet, got some kind of stomach bug and the legs felt like jelly. Was depressed for a day or so but am feeling better today so maybe tomorrow I'll get out for a few miles. What is one long run missed in the scheme of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Mr Marenghi|4|32|220|Had a good week, 16miles wasn't so bad after all !|
    osnola ivax|2|22|321||
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Shadyladee

Mr Marenghi|4|32|220|Had a good week, 16miles wasn't so bad after all !|
    osnola ivax|2|22|321||
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|4|32|236.5|good, good|

Goofygirl, glad to hear you are still doing the DCM!

Missing

one plot

lost on wedding dance floor

if found, please return to OI, supposed marathon novice

jaysus lads, I've fallen of the wagon big time. Yesterday, I thought I'd never get myself motivated again, been feeling so guilty abou not running since last Thursday and eating the greatest load of rubbish in an attempt to rid myself of the greatest hangover of all time. I'm actually afraid to go running again in case i find that I've taken a couple of steps backwards.

That being said, I'm gonna do 5 at lunch time, I have to just get back out there and put the weekend behind me. Oh, the highs and lows.

• Advertisement

jaysus lads, I've fallen of the wagon big time. Yesterday, I thought I'd never get myself motivated again, been feeling so guilty abou not running since last Thursday and eating the greatest load of rubbish in an attempt to rid myself of the greatest hangover of all time. I'm actually afraid to go running again in case i find that I've taken a couple of steps backwards.

Been there a few weeks back OI, at a stag from the Friday until wee hours of Monday morning so my last run was the Thursday. I forced myself up on the treadmill on the Tuesday because I honestly felt there was a chance I might not make it home if I went outdoors. 4 super sweaty miles later I felt a bit better, Wednesday run was ok but wasn't myself until the Thursday.

I haven't been on the proper lash since and I intend not to although I have two wedding weekends in a row coming up. That will be testing.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Been there a few weeks back OI, at a stag from the Friday until wee hours of Monday morning so my last run was the Thursday. I forced myself up on the treadmill on the Tuesday because I honestly felt there was a chance I might not make it home if I went outdoors. 4 super sweaty miles later I felt a bit better, Wednesday run was ok but wasn't myself until the Thursday.

I haven't been on the proper lash since and I intend not to although I have two wedding weekends in a row coming up and both abroad. That will be testing.

that's good to hear, glad someone else was in the same boat. Drink has such a bad effect on me and takes me a while to recover.

Those two weddings will be very testing alright. You'll just have to try to take it easy, maybe drink bottles or something, and get out there quickly after them or even on the day. It's the psycological effect of not running that is the hardest to get to grips with.

Anyways, I'm not having a drop for the next 7 weeks, probably....

I'm ok again! 5.7 mile lunch time run, 43:33, demons exorcised

I'm ok again! 5.7 mile lunch time run, 43:33, demons exorcised

B'ah - call that a hangover? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

my bosses are really pissed off with me decided to go to Dublin after all (they're afraid I won't get let back through Customs on my way back to Canada!) but I really couldn't care less. Even more pumped than ever for DCM now! Even if it's a complete sh*t show on the day and I have to crawl the last few miles it'll still be a triumph to have got to the start line. And I hope everyone else feels the same after all the hard work we've put in :)

Went to the mountains this weekend and did my 8 miler on mountain trails in mountain rain yesterday. You know, not piddly drizzle but straight down sheets of rain. Oh well, the shower afterwards felt great.

OI - I have a wedding coming up this weekend too that I'm the bridesmaid at so reckon it could be a messy one too! To get my long run in I have to run to the bride's parents' house on Friday afternoon after work. Luckily the father of the bride does Ironmans (Ironmen?) so they're well used to this sort of insanity.

At least you are all getting to do some runs. I am still out for another week due to Physio's advice, really raring to go but I can't :mad: Have also been eating and drinking like crap for the last while. I had lost a few pounds but I reckon I have put it all back on again. Off to the gym this evening for some rowing, I hope that makes me feel better.

menoscemo wrote: »
    At least you are all getting to do some runs. I am still out for another week due to Physio's advice, really raring to go but I can't :mad: Have also been eating and drinking like crap for the last while. I had lost a few pounds but I reckon I have put it all back on again. Off to the gym this evening for some rowing, I hope that makes me feel better.

That's tough alright, no more complaining from me

@ goofy girl

yeah weddings can b messy, I suppose if you r gonna train for anything, there will always be certain social engagements that will upset the routine.

Fair play to you for making the decision to come to Dublin, I hope you won't regret it. It will be a great day but Canada is one great country aswell. Anyways, u seem to have made your mind up. ;)

5m in 44:45 - nice and handy, felt good so sped up for last two miles.

• Advertisement

Already equalled last week's mileage, and it's only Tuesday. *\o/*

Advertisement