Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Terrible visit to physio. He says the achilles is pretty bad and cant make any guarantees about the marathon. No running allowed today, tomorrow or Thursday-thats 3 runs, 18 miles missed!!! Im hoping that all will be ok for the 18 miler at the weekend but he doesnt seem too optimistic. Im putting my leg in cold water for 20 minutes every 2 hours until I see him again on Thursday. FREAKING OUT:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bally8 wrote: »
    Terrible visit to physio. He says the achilles is pretty bad and cant make any guarantees about the marathon. No running allowed today, tomorrow or Thursday-thats 3 runs, 18 miles missed!!! Im hoping that all will be ok for the 18 miler at the weekend but he doesnt seem too optimistic. Im putting my leg in cold water for 20 minutes every 2 hours until I see him again on Thursday. FREAKING OUT:eek:

Noooooooooo!!! Not you aswell, so sorry to hear this, I hope it works out for you. We may all have to come back again next year or for another marathon, fingers crossed you will recover in time, your training has been brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Push over on the couch, I be needin a break too. :mad:

Outside of knee is playing up so going to rest it for a few days, there is a gym in the hotel so will be on the elliptical (?) machine and swimming for the few days. Hopefully it will clear up enough to get a long run in when I get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Christ almighty we're dropping like flies. Hope all the injuries and niggles settle down soon for people. I know I'm jinxing myself here by saying this but all I've had so far is one blister on the inside of my toe...Oh, and one work visa issue and the cost of a transatlantic flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sub430 wrote: »
    Push over on the couch, I be needin a break too. :mad:

Outside of knee is playing up so going to rest it for a few days, there is a gym in the hotel so will be on the elliptical (?) machine and swimming for the few days. Hopefully it will clear up enough to get a long run in when I get back.

Same thing with my knee, got a massage and a bit of ultrasound last night, could be a bit of damage to the medial ligament - did feel a bit sore during th run but quite sore now. No week run hoping to make Kilkenny half on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The injuries are I believe, all part of this, you just gotta keep getting physio and keeping it controlled. Stiff muscles pull ligaments, or so my physio says. Sorry to hear you guys are having issues, and I hope a rest day or week will get you back out on the road. Youve all worked so hard, keep the brain focused, allow yourself to heal, and hope for the best.
    I also have a few niggles, ankles and knees mainly, racking up the mileage just does it to ya.

I entered the mara, as I knew I probably would, but all Im doing is completing it, its probably a foolish mission, but Im a bit driven. No proper lsrs as yet, but we shall see. Im not running under the 'allstars' or 'sub 4.30' banner, (unless I do it, in which case Ill come back and claim it was all down to amadeus anyway). If I walk bits, so what, I just know if the day came and I didnt have a race number on, Id be gutted. :p

Once again, I hope all the injuries heal without major problems, please god keep all this gang an injury free zone for the next six weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Big fan of this thread, I’m in the sub 4:30 category and this is my first marathon. Sorry to hear so many are picking up niggles but just wanted to give some encouragement to those who have. I had some problems a while back and had to get physio and miss a full week, it was very hard to sit around getting zero miles in and feeling left behind but I took his advice, rested up, even half way through the week when I felt I'd be fine but was reluctant to risk it. I've since gone back to training and can honestly say I feel fresher and stronger for the break, I've substitute one of my runs for a gym workout with core training (leg strengthening) and feel I’m back on track (touch wood). I think some time out now is not the end of the world but as in my case it can help; after all there are a lot of hard miles already done.

Good luck to you all and enjoy the journey, for me at this stage it's more than 26.2 miles but the journey to the starting line which has been a challenge and rewarding at the same time.

At this stage I'm beginning to think that the marathon will be the easy part whilst getting there is the big challenge.

Are we all going to meet up and run together or what?

buck65 wrote: »

Are we all going to meet up and run together or what?
    Was wondering this too. Id like to put faces to yall.

Ill have to head up the day before if anyone wants to meet up for a beer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey i always follow this thread too as its my first marathon and can really relate to injuries. 2 weeks ago was my achilles which has since cleared and now its my left shin. Its a balls but im gonna plow on through. i managed 48miules last week as well as a fair bit of cross training which, i imagine, is what caused this injury. its healing now and i hope to get out for 16 or so miles the weekend.I think it would be a good idea for boardsies to meet the day before or the morning of or after the mara.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should try meeting up at the race expo as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There was a thread on the main forum about meeting for beer after the marathon. I am sure will be resurrected again before then, but we could all just meet up with the 'regular' runners as well. I plan to.

We could certainly all meet at the expo as well but I imagine everyone will have different plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Did my 18miler today, first off I took a wrong turn, and ended up doing over 19miles. Took 3hrs 20mins which may have been too fast, I dunno.

Miles 1 - 5 - very hard, I don't know why but they just were diffiicult.
    Miles 6-15 - great, felt really good
    Miles 15 - 19 - difficult, legs felt heavy, everything was just difficult to keep going, plu I ran out of water !!!!!

Overall I didnt prepare properly the day before, ate really badly and like everybody says, I should have treated it as a race day. That was the biggest lesson I learned. At the moment my legs are killing me !
    At the same time I really feel the marathon isn't impossible now. it's those moments when all you want to do is stop, but keep going, that really train you mentally.

Had Hi 5 gels on this run, they are bloody disgusting, just a horrible taste. I was using the Enervite gels from Runways before but they were sold out, so got these in a nutrition shop. not impossible to take but compared to Enervite, horrible.

And I also think its a cool idea to meet up !

Well done on your ahem 19 miler!
    Nearly there now. Is 5 gels alot of gels? I had only 2 last week on my 16 miler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

OhhhKay, in the words of Samuel L Jackson we all need to chill the (!!!!) out!!!

As the ever wise Oryx said above niggles and aches and pains are part and parcel of teh whole marathon experience. If you weren't feeling sore at this point that would be a bad sign as you wouldn't have been trying hard enough!

But the mantra all along for all of you has been the same, right from day 1. No single workout completed or missed will get you through the marathon. It is the culmination of teh training, the consistency of the running that will get you there. And look at our weekly mileage report table. Every single one of you is clocking mileage in at least the mid 200's and a few of you are up in the 300s. Frankly you could all run the marathon tomorrow if you had to. The runs are done. the fitness is there. All we need to do between now and race day is put an edge on the fitness and maintain it.

So stop worrying. If you have a niggle then look after it. Listen to what SideSwipe said - get a medical opinion if you are in pain and listen to what they say. If you feel like you need to rest then rest.

I'll repeat it - you ALL now have the basic fitness that you need to run the marathon.

Your priority now is to maintain that fitness until the gun.

You will do that by doing as many runs from teh schedule as possible.

Don't get lazy - we can all invent a twinge as an excuse not to run. Your legs will be tired all teh time because - well because you're running between 20 and 30 miles a week! But try and get past that and run anyway. If you have crossed the line into an injury then get it seen to - pretending it's not there or that you can run through it or that it will go away is - frankly - stupid. And you all had teh good sense to come into my group not Peckhams so none of you are stupid ;)

So nurse yourselves, run what you can and I expect a pint off each and every one of you in the Conrad Hotel after the finish!!!

So nurse yourselves, run what you can and I expect a pint off each and every one of you in the Conrad Hotel after the finish!!!
    Thanks amadeus. Good advice, taken on board. Whats in your head can cause you to succeed or fail at this stage.

I look forward to meeting you! Though I expect you to be already p!ssed by the time I get there, lol.

If you have crossed the line into an injury then get it seen to - pretending it's not there or that you can run through it or that it will go away is - frankly - stupid.

Well said. i have been trying to explain this to OI. I could have run on through my injury but i suspect i would have made it worse. Taking 1 week off in the short term has probably saved me 3 weeks or more If i had kept running and made it worse. At the moment my injury seems to have gone.

So There we have it!! Our meet-up place is in the conrad from 2pm onwards, showering not allowed :pac:

Still not allowed to run. Physio yesterday said the 18 miles this weekend is out. So that will be a full week without running and I dont know what happens next week. I have to see him again next tuesday. Wow its sooo expensive for half an hour. Cant afford to keep going back unless I know its going to result in me getting better in time to continue some sort of training for the marathon. Im very depressed and no one in the real world can really understand how important it is to me after all this training. Thanks to everyone for their messages of support, it means a lot

Still not allowed to run. Physio yesterday said the 18 miles this weekend is out. So that will be a full week without running and I dont know what happens next week. I have to see him again next tuesday. Wow its sooo expensive for half an hour. Cant afford to keep going back unless I know its going to result in me getting better in time to continue some sort of training for the marathon. Im very depressed and no one in the real world can really understand how important it is to me after all this training. Thanks to everyone for their messages of support, it means a lot

Chin Up Bally 8. Missing a week or so will not mean success or failure, whereas running on an injury could mean failure and cost you more in the long run. How much does your physio charge? mine was €60 for an hour session

hi bally8, I know exactly how you feel. I hope you get to fulfill your dream. But if the worst comes to the worst, there will be other years. It's little consolation after all this training I know. I'm taking a week off now myself and hope that it will heal in that time. Then begin to build up again. And physios are expensive, I feel the same way about them.

As you say, thanks to everyone for the wise words and messages of support. I'm suffering a real crisis of confidence at the moment. Just need to "chill the **** out". The mental aspect is getting on top of me tbh.

• Advertisement

Monday: the cooler autumn weather allowed me to knock out a 9 miler with no great ceremony or pomp. Forgot my watch so no idea of the pace.

Tuesday: 2 x 3200m with running group, the "skeletors" as my non-running flatmates call them. Once again forgot my watch.

Thursday: nice easy 5 miler after work. Came home, cooked up giant feast of all my favourite things: garlic-chili prawns, pierogies, sweetcorn-and-jalapeno peppers. Mmm.

Friday: day of blessed rest, big plate of leftover prawns and spicy sweetcorn. Which led to...

Saturday: ...18 miler with one of the women from my running group. Now, I am a solitary creature when it comes to running, apart from speedwork do every step by myself. But this lady had emailed me during the week to see if I wanted to do our LSDs today because she reckoned we were around the same pace. Eh, we're so not! She has BQed before and her aim for this autumn is sub 4hrs. I pointed this out and did my best to dissuade her without being rude but she said she was happy for us to run at my slow pace. So off we set and she kept telling me that this year, for my first marathon, I should just have fun and enjoy it but that I'd be capable of going sub 4 for sure next time around. Which was very flattering and encouraging!

Legs felt fine, but stomach however oh God. Note to self: spicy sweetcorn and seafood not good idea to eat night before long run with BQ-er. Let's just say that after the 18 miles were over (3 hrs 10mins) I immediately dove into a nearby portaloo and there were some, eh, explosive bowel movements. There was still about 1km left to where I'd parked so I had to grab a handful of toilet paper for the walk back because honestly I didn't know if I'd have to make another emergency pitstop.

For about an hour afterwards I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or not and the thought of food was incredibly unappealing.

God I love this sport and how it allows you to share every convulsion of your GI tract with total strangers on the Internet :D Mods feel free to edit this if I'm lowering the tone just a notch too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

goofygirl wrote: »
    Monday: the cooler autumn weather allowed me to knock out a 9 miler with no great ceremony or pomp. Forgot my watch so no idea of the pace.

Tuesday: 2 x 3200m with running group, the "skeletors" as my non-running flatmates call them. Once again forgot my watch.

Thursday: nice easy 5 miler after work. Came home, cooked up giant feast of all my favourite things: garlic-chili prawns, pierogies, sweetcorn-and-jalapeno peppers. Mmm.

Friday: day of blessed rest, big plate of leftover prawns and spicy sweetcorn. Which led to...

Saturday: ...18 miler with one of the women from my running group. Now, I am a solitary creature when it comes to running, apart from speedwork do every step by myself. But this lady had emailed me during the week to see if I wanted to do our LSDs today because she reckoned we were around the same pace. Eh, we're so not! She has BQed before and her aim for this autumn is sub 4hrs. I pointed this out and did my best to dissuade her without being rude but she said she was happy for us to run at my slow pace. So off we set and she kept telling me that this year, for my first marathon, I should just have fun and enjoy it but that I'd be capable of going sub 4 for sure next time around. Which was very flattering and encouraging!

Legs felt fine, but stomach however oh God. Note to self: spicy sweetcorn and seafood not good idea to eat night before long run with BQ-er. Let's just say that after the 18 miles were over (3 hrs 10mins) I immediately dove into a nearby portaloo and there were some, eh, explosive bowel movements. There was still about 1km left to where I'd parked so I had to grab a handful of toilet paper for the walk back because honestly I didn't know if I'd have to make another emergency pitstop.

For about an hour afterwards I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or not and the thought of food was incredibly unappealing.

God I love this sport and how it allows you to share every convulsion of your GI tract with total strangers on the Internet :D Mods feel free to edit this if I'm lowering the tone just a notch too far.

In fairness, this is a pretty funny story !

*ding ding* seconds out, round 14!

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5m run|9 run|5 m run|rest|cross|14 LSR

(Link to original here)

Boxing analogy not a bad one this week as everyone seems a little battered. The midweek run stays at 9, early week run pops up to 5 but the long one drops back to 14 (big one is next week). Again if any of you are feeling strong then feel free to throw some strides into one of teh five milers, or run it as a Fartlek. Take the 14 nice and handy and just concentrate on getting through the week.

I mentioned last week that I'd be talking about "Taper Madness". The best description I have is written from a support perspective but it kind of catches the point (read it here) As we reach a peak and tehn start to cut the mileage you are all going to get more and more paranoid about every little ache and pain. In "The Lore of Running" Noakes talks about a surgeon friend of his who wears a face mask and gloves around his house for teh weeks before a race in case he catches a bug. At some stage over teh next few weeks you will wake up with a bunged up nose and you'll think it's swine flu. You'll get bumped into by a 4 year old in Dunnes and throw teh mother a dirty look while thinking "can't she tell I'm close to my marathon!" And yes - every one of those tiny aches and pains is a run ending disaster.

Ready for teh good news?

There is no cure!

All you can do is be aware of it. Your mind will play tricks with you - not enough mileage, your pace is too fast, your pace is too slow, everyone else is faster. It's just a reaction to the fact you have cut your mileage. It's not real and it's part of teh process.

Relax, keep cool and focussed and recognise it for what it is. Taper madness - in time you'll come to love it!

Not many of these left now...

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|4|36|377|horrible LSR but I seem to have survived it!!|
    Shadyladee|||||

He Amadeus!! For those of us running the adidas half next week:
    1. Can we count it as thr LSR of 14 ;)?
    2. should we be racing it this close to the marathon?

menoscemo wrote: »
    He Amadeus!! For those of us running the adidas half next week:
    1. Can we count it as thr LSR of 14 ;)?
    2. should we be racing it this close to the marathon?

Yes and yes!

13.1 miles hard is worth more than 14 easy so by all means run it at full tilt as your long one. Timing is perfect for it in fact.

And by all means race it as hard as you can - you'll possibly still feel a bit stiff by the the time your 20 rolls round but it'll be well out of your system by the time the marathon comes up. You're still over a month away don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|5|36.5|277|Pretty happy to get my first ever 18 mile run out of the way :)|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Looking forward to the half at the weekend, *hoping* to go sub-2:10. Fingers crossed :)

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|5|36.5|277|Pretty happy to get my first ever 18 mile run out of the way :)|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|2|13|353.5||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Looking forward to the half at the weekend, *hoping* to go sub-2:10. Fingers crossed :)[/QUOTE]

Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|2|13|353.5||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|4|36|329|bowels of turmoil, otherwise good |
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Advertisement

Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|2|13|353.5||
    Bally8|0|0|305|Very scared now, I think it might be curtains for me:(|
    Goofygirl|4|36|329|bowels of turmoil, otherwise good |
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Advertisement