Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looking forward to the half at the weekend, *hoping* to go sub-2:10. Fingers crossed :)

come on RK, we all know you are going to break 2 hrs;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    come on RK, we all know you are going to break 2 hrs;)

That would be awesome, but I can't see it happening at the weekend. It *is* one of my 2010 goals though, to go sub-2 hours for half-marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

RK don't want to put too much pressure on you but I'm fairly sure you'll pull something spectacular out of the bag in the half :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|5|36.5|277|Pretty happy to get my first ever 18 mile run out of the way :)|
    Mr Marenghi|5|40|277|Really happy I could do the 18miler ! Marathon seems far more of a possibility every time a LSR is completed !|
    osnola ivax|2|13|353.5||
    Bally8|0|0|305|Very scared now, I think it might be curtains for me:(|
    Goofygirl|4|36|329|bowels of turmoil, otherwise good |
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|4|36|377|horrible LSR but I seem to have survived it!!|
    Shadyladee|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

* Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Have only done 2 races to date, the 5 and 10 mile Adidas race series this year.
    PBs:
    5 mile - 37:08approx (Adidas Race Series 2009)
    10 mile - 1h:18 (Adidas Race Series 2009)

* Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Usually the only time i slow to walk pace is traffic problems in Phoenix Park.

* How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Running 3-4 days per week, longest run is 18 miles right now, shortest for training at 8 miles. College course involves aerobics, lifeguard skills/endurance work in the pool and personal training/gym work and i train for hurling 1-2 nights a week with the season about to end in a few weeks.

*Training log here - Have not started one.

* What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Achieving finishing my first 5mile, 10mile and Marathon runs ever in one year after a sudden decision to train for it would be amazing for me. Doing them in a good time for a novice would just be icing on the cake:) A time under 3h 45 would be a dream time, however if i pulled in under 4h i would stil be pretty happy with that result.

* How many days a week can you train?
    3-4 days running, 1-2 days hurling depending on status of matches etc...

* Why are you running this marathon?
    This would be a massive impact on personal goals and getting this out of the way would be a brilliant step. I've had a major change of lifestyle in the last 2 and a half years and this was always a future goal, i never thought i would see it come up this soon. Also i would like to see how the training would affect my overall fitness levels and how i can further improve myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I ran the Kilkenny half marathon yesterday. Had been laid up the previous 2 weeks with a flu and then a knee injury so was definitely half baked going into this.
    Was aiming for a sub 2hr run but after 1 mile(!!) started feeling bad. Legs were like jelly , perhaps the effects of the flu were still in the system. Also it was very warm and this didn't help.
    After 2 miles the route branched off for the 10k run and I seriously considered taking it but I ploughed on regardless.
    Bizzarely enough after 6 miles I was still on course for a sub 2hr but I knew if I kept going I would not make the finish in one piece so I took a decision to walk for a while, had a gel and some water and began to recuperate. After a mile of walking I started up again and felt better finishing in 2hr09.
    Intended doing a 3 mile warm down but just jogged a litle bit back to the car.
    Really need to get an 18 miler and a 20 miler in over the next 3 weeks. Hopefully the body holds up. Alot of work to do.

QUOTE=Mr Marenghi;62196916]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|5|36.5|277|Pretty happy to get my first ever 18 mile run out of the way :)|
    Mr Marenghi|5|40|277|Really happy I could do the 18miler ! Marathon seems far more of a possibility every time a LSR is completed !|
    osnola ivax|2|13|353.5||
    Buck65|2|19||dodgy knee|
    Shadyladee|||||[/QUOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

buck65 wrote: »
    QUOTE=Mr Marenghi;62196916]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|0|0|306|Have rested for the week and it feels as if knee pain is gone. Kidneys in rag order after the wedding though :)|
    osnola ivax|2|13|353.5||
    Buck65|2|19||dodgy knee|
    Shadyladee|||||[/QUOTE

Going to try a run tomorrow, hopefully it will be ok but if not then physio and more rest. Ages left to the marathon, hard work is done as the boss said, we could all run it tomorrow (if not injured:rolleyes:). I will be doing DCM 09.

Simple. As. That. :cool:

Sub430 wrote: »
    Going to try a run tomorrow, hopefully it will be ok but if not then physio and more rest. Ages left to the marathon, hard work is done as the boss said, we could all run it tomorrow (if not injured:rolleyes:). I will be doing DCM 09.

Simple. As. That. :cool:

How is the injury?

Went out this morning for a 3 miler (4 was on the program fro me but still tired after half marathon) . Felt really heavy legged but afterwards felt better and think it will help the body recover.
    Big 18 miler at the weekend, if I can get through that ok I will be very happy but the one thing the half taught me on Sunday is that I do need a few more long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

deus ama-DEUS haama-DEUS amdeus ama-DEUS haama-DEUS

amadeus ama-DEUS

amadeus amade-US

Been wanting to do that for ages. Question for ya gaffer. Obviously I've missed a couple of LSR's now. So in terms of the rest of the plan, I was going to do the half in Dublin this Saturday and maybe tack on 3 miles and then one 20 miler the following weekend before beginning the taper. How do you think this sounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

How is the injury?

The bisterd is still here, went out for a light jog, lasted all of 15 secs and could feel it niggling again so walked home.
    I've been off it for almost 10 days now, another few won't kill me.

Ah would you look at that, my Garmin just fell off the table and the face cracked. Lovely. Keep on trying big man above, I'm still gonna do the marathon.

At least it's still uploading:

.06 miles in 59s : Avg speed 17m14s : HR 93 (it was uphill :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

deus ama-DEUS haama-DEUS amdeus ama-DEUS haama-DEUS

amadeus ama-DEUS

amadeus amade-US

Been wanting to do that for ages. Question for ya gaffer. Obviously I've missed a couple of LSR's now. So in terms of the rest of the plan, I was going to do the half in Dublin this Saturday and maybe tack on 3 miles and then one 20 miler the following weekend before beginning the taper. How do you think this sounds?

Ahhh you're thinking of:

falco.jpg

rather than

mozart-01.jpg

or even

500_amadeus.jpg

:D

Don't bother tacking on miles at the end of teh race would be my advice - go out and race hard and 13.1 fast will be as good / better for you than 15/16 easy. Then do 18 or 20 the week after and bobs your brothers sister.

Ahhh you're thinking of:

falco.jpg

rather than

mozart-01.jpg

or even

500_amadeus.jpg

:D

Don't bother tacking on miles at the end of teh race would be my advice - go out and race hard and 13.1 fast will be as good / better for you than 15/16 easy. Then do 18 or 20 the week after and bobs your brothers sister.

love that second pic, what is that?

Amadeus, cheers. That's the plan then. Hope to meet you when all this is over, owe you a pint big time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was gonna ask that question too. I have pretty steady training done but only one 16 mile lsr last sunday. A day after a fast 10k. :) needless to say, I borked a knee, but its not too bad, and Im doing the half as planned. Was goin to control the speed if my knee was dodgy but add on mileage. But if you say thats not the best plan, Ill go with that. Was going to do an 18 miler the following week, so its not a huge leap in mileage, legs permitting!

love that second pic, what is that?

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart I think. He played corner forward for Tipperary in the 1880s. Overated.

Ran 8 miles this morning in the dark. Did you ever look at a ditch and think "if I had a blanket"?

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart I think. He played corner forward for Tipperary in the 1880s. Overated.

Ran 8 miles this morning in the dark. Did you ever look at a ditch and think "if I had a blanket"?

sorry, I actually meant the third pic, but I've discovered that it's the poster to a play / film based on the composer. Pretty cool image.

It's a great image and one I'll use for my avatar if I ever get round to subscribing. It's from the poster of the film Amadeus which is excellent. I saw it on late night TV when I was in my mid teens and was blown away by it. I was raving about it to my mates thinking it was a small, niche film no one had heard of and discovered years later that it won 8 Oscars (including best actor, best director and best picture) :o Directors cut is weaker but well worth a look.

Oryx - yeah that sounds good. With your background and the training you've done you should be fine on the day with that.

I have a bit of a cold and a sore throat this morning... how should I be treating this week with a view towards the half? Should I take it easy, or still try and plough on with the planned mileage (providing it doesn't all drop onto my chest)?

It's a great movie, the rivalry with that other composer was manic - Scarletti?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have a bit of a cold and a sore throat this morning... how should I be treating this week with a view towards the half? Should I take it easy, or still try and plough on with the planned mileage (providing it doesn't all drop onto my chest)?
    Hi RK, Im no expert, but I do know that running through illness is a bad idea. Id say start a run, and see how you feel. If you get that chilly sweaty thing going on and feel lousy, keep the mileage down. The rule Ive heard is that you can run with a cold in your head, but not on your chest, which is what you must be referring to. As its Thursday, I expect youve done tonnes of mileage this week anyway!

Ive not run since Sunday, until this morning, cos of my gammy knee. Theres always something. :)

• Advertisement

So, I know everybody should be tired at this stage....but how tired ?

I found this week (since Sunday) that every day I went for a run my legs just felt heavy and tired. Even though it was just 5miles or whatever I just felt like I had nothing there.

Anybody else feel the same ?

Oryx wrote: »
    Hi RK, Im no expert, but I do know that running through illness is a bad idea. Id say start a run, and see how you feel. If you get that chilly sweaty thing going on and feel lousy, keep the mileage down. The rule Ive heard is that you can run with a cold in your head, but not on your chest, which is what you must be referring to. As its Thursday, I expect youve done tonnes of mileage this week anyway!
    Haven't done tonnes of mileage this week anyway, only 12 so far this week! Felt a lot better on the 6 miles I did tonight (at least managed to keep a sub-10 min/mile pace, which I was happy about) than I did earlier in the week, and my hip niggle seems to be disappearing too. I think it just took me a lot longer to recover from the 18-miler last weekend than I thought.

I found this week (since Sunday) that every day I went for a run my legs just felt heavy and tired. Even though it was just 5miles or whatever I just felt like I had nothing there.

Sorta... I feel incredibly mentally tired at the moment though. Maybe combining marathon training with a masters workload wasn't my brightest idea of the year!

I'm permanently exhausted these days if that's any help. And I can't even remember what it feels like to have fresh legs.

By the way, just a thought for everyone: here in Canada running gear is way cheaper than it is in Ireland. So if anyone wants me to pick up anything for them here and bring it back with me when I'm coming back for DCM just let me know and we can work out the finer details!

Very close to the no medical advice rule so I'm not going to get specific but the rule Oryx quoted is a good one. Sounds like it's clearing up anyway

Everyone will feel the same!!

I set out for 10@PMP yesterday and within 200yrds I had swapped it for a lazy 8 instead because I just didn't have it in my legs (going to have another go today). I would guess that every single one of you is feeling like your legs are made of wood at the minute. And as RK says it is mentally draining as well - no matter what kind of training you have done you'll always have a nagging "could have done more" feeling somewhere, there is always a new challenge as well with a first time marathon program - every week sees you running further than you ever have before. That in itself is tough. The weekly grind of hitting the sessions and juggling them around "real life" while still functioning. And all teh time people are saying "Wow, you're doing teh marathon? I'd love to be that fit" or "The marathon in a few weeks - you must feel great with all that training!" and all you want to do is curl up in the corner and whimper because your legs can't manage a single flight of stairs...

It's not easy.

But then if it were easy everyone would do it and it wouldn't be an achievement, would it :)

Also just throwing it out there that anybody can have the couch and/or floor in my apt for the marathon. I live beside St Patricks Cathedral, so about 15 min walk to the start.

Did the Adidas half today in 1:47:07.

Really happy with the time, 15mins off last yr.

The way I'd been all week I felt odd today, I guess I wondered if I'd get through the run ok without nearly killing myself and as a result I didnt really enjoy the actual run itself until maybe mile 8 or 9. But all worked out and I'm now sure my off week was down to tiredness !

Also one thing that was different to other runs was I managed my pace far better. I started out at a slow pace and kept pretty steady for the run. All other races before I've sped up at different points, or started off too strong but today I kept a good regular pace, which is what the marathon will be like I think, and it really paid off.

A few people that stood nearby waiting for the start passed me at different points, I ended up passing all these people by the end, so I guess I'm learning something ! - a steadier pace pays off.

Sub-2 in the Adidas half :D (1:58:55 chip time)

Happy kirby is happy, and needs to ignore what McMillan is spitting out at her.

Well done to everyone on the great, great results today!

So while the rest of the Amadeus Allstars were out obliterating their PBS, it was a slow and steady 14 miler for me. Thankfully no repeat of the GI issues of last week. Brought two gels with me but didn't end up taking either of them.

I'm not getting any faster at all but the endurance is definitely improving. I feel positively sprightly right now after a "mere" 14 miles compared to the other long runs! Very weird to think that there's only one long run left (the 20 miler next week) and then into taper time though. What do other people DO on a Saturday morning??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done to all of ye that completed the race today. DCM will be here in no time. Nothing like a race to ggive you that confidence that is lacking the weeks beforehand i find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done everyone of the Half yesterday, ye rock!!!

Advertisement